Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Bluespeyer private msg quote post Address this user
Which copy looks better to you, the top one or the bottom one?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
is this an optical illusion?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Even though bottom book is not as centered, I would have to give it a leg up on the top book due to corners, cover gloss and less spine issues. Realistically then would both grade out the same, so it's strictly eye appeal and what you like.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ha no. They're different lower mid-grade copies. I'd say they'd grade within 1/2 or 1 point of each other, judging solely from the covers.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the bottom book has better eye appeal. Especially the right side of the book and it has better cover gloss. A press and then slabbing the bottom book would be my choice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It might be the lighting, but the top one has the edge with better gloss & slightly less surface wear.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Even though bottom book is not as centered, I would have to give it a leg up on the top book due to corners, cover gloss and less spine issues. Realistically then would both grade out the same, so it's strictly eye appeal and what you like.
This is what I was thinking. As for centering, I sort of like the small white stripe along the spine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
This is what I was thinking. As for centering, I sort of like the small white stripe along the spine.
I agree. The top one, looks like it has a spine roll. Part of Spideys head is not visible.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Easily the bottom
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Seeing as these are two graded books, are we gonna get the big reveal?
Post 11 IP   flag post
So far you're the true winner shrewbeer! Both are indeed graded. Will reveal tomorrow...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Top Photo: Appears to have White interior pages but more color-break creasing on it's cover.

Bottom Photo: Appears to have Off-White interior pages, with minimal color-break creasing except along the spine(hard to tell from the glare). Bottom staple may be loose/border-line spine split.

Both: Appear to have blunted corners, decently preserved colors, and some range of gloss. I don't see much(if any) obvious surface dirt...and seeing as they are already graded - I could assume with high likeliness that they have already been pressed/cleaned.

Top Grade Estimate: 4.0 - 5.0

Bottom Grade Estimate: 5.0 - 6.0 **** [ANSWER: THIS ONE "LOOKS" BETTER] ****

...with the lighting variances between the photos and no back cover shots, prediction is limited and most likely inaccurate.

Beauties!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man I don't think the bottom one has been pressed. The bottom left of the book looks a little wavey or wrinkly.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I'm probably just being too anal, but I like to see the whole "M" in "Marvel".
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips yeah, probably true. Hard to tell.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Top Photo: Appears to have White interior pages but more color-break creasing on it's cover.

Bottom Photo: Appears to have Off-White interior pages, with minimal color-break creasing except along the spine(hard to tell from the glare). Bottom staple may be loose/border-line spine split.

Both: Appear to have blunted corners, decently preserved colors, and some range of gloss. I don't see much(if any) obvious surface dirt...and seeing as they are already graded - I could assume with high likeliness that they have already been pressed/cleaned.

...with the lighting variances between the photos and no back cover shots, prediction is limited and most likely inaccurate.

Beauties!

+1 all the way.

Highly recommend the 2nd book.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to predict the bottom copy. Color is far superior. (Unless the lighting is causing the delta.)
Post 18 IP   flag post
The reveal. Most folks picked the bottom one. Not sure what it means, other than 1) can't grade a book by cover alone, and 2) virtually no difference in half-point grades, except for the valuation gap.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man

Beauties!

You nailed the pages comic_book_man. Nice job.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
The lesson here is what we all know, grading a comic is purely subjective. What appeals to one, doesn't necessarily appeal to another. No guarantee the same person at CGC even graded them both. Thanks for sharing. Good exercise. Nuff Said.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Bluespeyer I really enjoyed this thread, haven't seen many like it. Keep 'em coming!

Can we see the back covers? Hehe
Post 22 IP   flag post
WHO PICKED THE TOP BOOK?!? MEMEMEME!!!!

I win!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You guys beat me to it, never saw the thread until this morning. I would have picked the top one just on the wrap and color of the cover alone.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I would have picked the top one just on the wrap and color of the cover alone.

You say that NOW, but I picked the top one! Me! MEMEMEMEME!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
By showing only the front covers, its not possible to pick a higher grade copy. It would of been worthwhile if you had scans of the back covers also. Just saying.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Here's another. It's a good one. Included the backs this time. These are CGC but after this I'll use CBCS books going forward...

Post 27 IP   flag post
PS: no cheating! These are easily found on a website...
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i like the top one better , has better eye appeal
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
WHO PICKED THE TOP BOOK?!? MEMEMEME!!!!

I win!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!
You the man.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?