Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Can pressing save this key?4027

Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I'm back with the same question but a different book - you guys were really helpful in my last post so I'm taking a shot and see what yall have to say about my copy of Silver Surfer #44.....

It looks like it was marked by a highlighter marker in the UPC box? Maybe this can be cleaned? Also it's hard to tell by the pic but it looks like it was in half a little, there is a faint line that goes from the edge to the tip Drax's cape just below SS's elbow. I was hoping to slab it but it needs pressing and I would at least like to get a 6 out of it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Press it, I can see that bend in the book. You'll be stuck with the marker ink though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
it's possible to get that marker out actually
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke how??????
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You'll be stuck with the marker ink though.

And the blue million color breaking creases along the spine.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@cbj102 Sorry, but I would recommend passing up on this book too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Out of curiosity, what makes this a key? The glove? Not up to speed on this and might have the issue, which is why I ask.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@cbj102

Would pressing/cleaning improve this books appearance?
Slightly.

Would it improve the comics grade?
Potentially, but not by much if any. The grade is mid-grade at best.

You may be able to get the 6 out of it, but we would need to see more high resolution photos including the inside and full back cover.

Good luck!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Key? I think you can get a NM copy of this book for.like $20. Why not just buy another?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Key? I think you can get a NM copy of this book for.like $20. Why not just buy another?

High grade copies of this are going for more than $20 right now. If you have any you'd like to sell for $20 each I'll take them all
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
If the marker can be removed the existing defects post pressing would still keep this book in a low enough range, that you are better of taking that money and investing it into a better copy. Sure, there are things that can be improved, but pressing, in this case, is not a magic wand.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Like 3 months ago got a bunch of raw copies of these for few bucks. I guess I'll hold it and see what happens to the price.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Like 3 months ago got a bunch of raw copies of these for few bucks. I guess I'll hold it and see what happens to the price.

Check out GPA, you might want to get them slabbed ASAP if they're nice enough.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Seemed like the OP is hoping for a 6.0 after pressing and cleaning, if that's what makes him happy he should go for it. Sometimes value doesn't have to be motive #1 for slabbing a book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Seemed like the OP is hoping for a 6.0 after pressing and cleaning, if that's what makes him happy he should go for it. Sometimes value doesn't have to be motive #1 for slabbing a book.

Why not just put it in a nice Mylar 2 and a Fullback then?
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I've been trying to squire a "reading" copy of this book off ebay for nearly a year. Even the worst condition books go over $20. But you can get a slabbed 9.6 for $100 if you hit it right. Weird one, this issue is. I recommend getting what you can on eBay and pick up a 9.2 to 9.4 slab or a nice raw copy for less than $50 but you may have to be patient for the right opportunity.
Post 17 IP   flag post
598081 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?