Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Question: Asterisk4006

Collector Negrito68 private msg quote post Address this user
I just found that my Spider-Man 300 w/McFarlane signature was reviewed and graded. My question, after the grade number there is an asterisk, what does that mean?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
See the newest sticky thread at top, faq, I believe you just got a check mark
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, the asterisk on the dashboard means the label has a checkmark grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Why don't they just give the next higher grade vs. placing a check mark? They say it looks better than the grade given - well, give the next grade. Am I alone in this line of thinking?
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Why don't they just give the next higher grade vs. placing a check mark? They say it looks better than the grade given - well, give the next grade. Am I alone in this line of thinking?

Yes, because the defect is still there only not typically visible (interior) since the book is sealed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Stu you're looking at it wrong.

Say a book has a PERFECT cover. But its missing several pages. That book is a poor at best. With a checkmark.

The checkmark says "this book looks great but no we didnt screw up this grade; there are defects you cant see"
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ever hear of someone saying they have a slabbed book graded 8.0 but it looks like an 8.5 or 9.0? This is CBCS's way of saying that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Ever hear of someone saying they have a slabbed book graded 8.0 but it looks like an 8.5 or 9.0? This is CBCS's way of saying that.

Exactly! The book may have the appearance of an 8.5 or 9.0 but it's structural integrity won't allow it to exceed an 8.0
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
This is why we have this forum - to better understand and learn from one another. Appreciate the feedback. I have a few of these check marks:

Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Redshade A grade is arrived to by an accumulation of defects of different magnitudes.

In the comic collecting community, there is a rough understanding of the "look," the number and types of defects to be expected on a book of a certain grade. A 7.0 you expect to look a certain way, a 9.0 you expect to look a certain way. But not all flaws are created equal.

A tear alone may bring a book down to a 5.0 but the book tself may be nm otherwise so it looks nicer than other books of the same grade. This doesn't mean the book is a 6.0 or 7.0 (to use an exaggerated version of your suggestion).

The book is still a 6.0 because the magnitude of it's flaws place it in that grade. However, its tear may have less effect on the book's visual appeal than the number of wrinkles, dents, creases, etc that normally accompany (and are responsible for) books of the same grade
Post 10 IP   flag post
597966 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?