Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Grading Gravy Train4004

Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
The answer to this may be obvious, but I've been wondering if the grading game is very profitable (if you're not CGC)? For instance, I'm curious as to whether CBCS is raking in the dough, making a decent living or barely breaking even and doing it for the love of the game.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Ny85 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote
The answer to this may be obvious, but I've been wondering if the grading game is very profitable (if you're not CGC)? For instance, I'm curious as to whether CBCS is raking in the dough, making a decent living or barely breaking even and doing it for the love of the game.

I'm pretty sure they're making good money
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
For the love of the game? Are you serious?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Yes, I included three options to round out my question and tie it into my first sentence lol. I overthink sometimes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I'm laughing with you, not at you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
Making slightly less than Clark Kent did at the Daily Planet, but more than Barbara Gorden did at her day job.... so about the Same as Bruce Banner when not being the Incredible Hulk... so my guess is not mega bucks but enough to keep doing it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I ponder this because of the turn around times. If they are super-busy, why not employ more staff? I guess one answer could be that they don't want to be overstaffed in case of a lull in submissions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I found an actual office photo...
Post 8 IP   flag post
@keefriffhards

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards

This must be the department that grades Golden Age issues.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Any new business is going to go through growing pains; problems happen problems need to be solved,Systems and protocol to sort out, and that costs a lot of money. They don't have 75 grand laying around to buy magazine sized moulds, so I would say no, they are not "raking it in"*

*Yet 😁
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
I would guess that since CGC has seen two co form after them, some things have changed...
* lot more people are getting grading in bulk numbers

* grading is done on hopefully near mint to mint issues, even new stuff

bulk submissions keep the companies and the investor groups hopeful
of the more potential growth.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer

Agreed
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@keefriffhards

Quote:

Lol,... That was funny
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Just a bit of a history lesson, CBCS officially began in July, 2014. They started with either 5 or 6 people TOTAL. Last I heard, they now have over 20 graders plus all the other employees. CBCS has CONSTANTLY stated that they are always looking for graders. From what I understand, you have to have at least a working knowledge of grading comics. Then they train you from there. This is not a job where they can drop people into with a days worth of training. Plus, they underestimated the demand. Withing six months, they were getting submissions in the numbers that they thought they wouldn't see until they were in business for a couple years. I don't think they knew how many people didn't use CGC (for any myriad of reasons) and were just WAITING for a viable alternative. (Like I was)
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Any new business is going to go through growing pains; problems happen problems need to be solved,Systems and protocol to sort out, and that costs a lot of money. They don't have 75 grand laying around to buy magazine sized moulds, so I would say no, they are not "raking it in"*

*Yet 😁
In these cases don't assume anything. And, in the case of the much wanted magazine grading from CBCS. Not only the high cost of "magazine sized molds" but the entire logistics and application of same would be a massive undertaking, one that needs the proper lengthy time frame to plan, design, house, equip, staff and finance.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:

*Yet 😁
In these cases don't assume anything. And, in the case of the much wanted magazine grading from CBCS. Not only the high cost of "magazine sized molds" but the entire logistics and application of same would be a massive undertaking, one that needs the proper lengthy time frame to plan, design, house, equip, staff and finance.

When members here are asking for magazine grading, are they looking for magazine-sized comic grading (like Savage Sword of Conan, for example) or are they looking for magazines in general?

I believe CGC grades non-comic magazines, but only Playboy and Sports Illustrated at the moment.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Symbiote magazine size comics, like early TMNT, and old horror comics.
Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Not me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:

*Yet 😁

When members here are asking for magazine grading, are they looking for magazine-sized comic grading (like Savage Sword of Conan, for example) or are they looking for magazines in general?

I believe CGC grades non-comic magazines, but only Playboy and Sports Illustrated at the moment.

CGC grades any comics-related or similar magazines, eg. Vampire Tales(Marvel) Psycho(Skywald) Vampirella(Warren) Mad(EC) even National Lampoon, Omni, TMNT(Mirage) Amazing World of DC Comics(DC) and perhaps Barber Shop/Men's Adventure types.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Not me.

Doc?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:

*Yet 😁

CGC grades any comics-related or similar magazines, eg. Vampire Tales(Marvel) Psycho(Skywald) Vampirella(Warren) Mad(EC) even National Lampoon, Omni, TMNT(Mirage) Amazing World of DC Comics(DC) and perhaps Barber Shop/Men's Adventure types.

Appreciated 👍🏻
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not me.

Doc?

I'm laughing at you. Love of the game, indeed.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not me.

Doc?

Doc's diagnosis is that @SteveBorock is only in it for the money?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Don't know why I cracked up at this one... timing was right...😎
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully CBCS is raking in the big batch of 💰💰💰💰💰Benjies....
Post 25 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:

Don't know why I cracked up at this one... timing was right...😎

Quote:
@keefriffhards

Quote:

It's all about the timing lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's difficult to impossible to know what the balance sheets look like on privately held companies that aren't seeking investors, applying for credit or wanting to go public. It would be like me asking you how much you make. You could tell me it's none of my business, you could tell me a lie.

This is year three. They have added staff. We can assume CBCS isn't losing money
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not me.

Doc?

Doc's diagnosis is that @SteveBorock is only in it for the money?

That's not what he said.

I know Steve loves comic books and loves what he does.

I'm also fairly certain he wouldn't just do it for free
Post 28 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It's common advice with motivational speakers to find a job you'd do for free if you could afford to - then get good enough at that job to get paid. The idea being if you work a job you'd do for free then you never really work a day the rest of your life.

Li'l Abner had a job as a mattress tester. He got paid to sleep all day at the Stunned Ox mattress company to see if the mattresses were any good.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
It's common advice with motivational speakers to find a job you'd do for free if you could afford to - then get good enough at that job to get paid. The idea being if you work a job you'd do for free then you never really work a day the rest of your life.

Li'l Abner had a job as a mattress tester. He got paid to sleep all day at the Stunned Ox mattress company to see if the mattresses were any good.

Easy for them to say when they have a sham of a job

Don't give advice based on a comic strip character lol
Post 30 IP   flag post
600782 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?