Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Disney To Stop Marvel Comics? Someday?3991

Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel almost went bankrupt in95. It wasn't comic book sales that saved it.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-marvel-went-from-bankrupt-dweeb-to-financial-superhero-in-13-charts-2015-04-27
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
That's quite the misleading title you've got there for an entirely speculative article
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
They need comics books to sell merchandise and make movies :P

EDIT: At least to keep the merch and movies they make relevant..
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Probably should edit that title.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Title thread is a bit misleading, and I think the article's writer is simply seeking boner hits.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the comic business is not profitable enough for Disney they could always farm out the publishing rights while keeping the TV and movie rights for themselves. As the bigger fish I am sure Disney would still be able to push characters and titles that fuel its movie profits.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That would be fantastic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I think it'll happen. I don't think prices have been going up to help the publishers. I think they've been going up to help Diamond who has been hurting also.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Is digital hurting (or going to hurt) Diamond?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Speculation and hyperbole with no data and facts, and a sensational title...who wrote this article CNN?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Now if the Scarlet Witch said something about "No More Comics" I would be worried.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
if the Avengers movie made $500 MILLION and Wonder Woman went over $400 MILLION, do you really think the money used to keep comics going wouldn't be given with a grin as an "investment"?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I read most of that article. In my opinion, the comic book industry IS going down hill. Just as I quit collecting in 1982, I could never buy any of the new comic books of today. Compare bronze, silver and golden age comic books to todays and you will see a big difference!! The art work of those times are far much superior then todays so called art. I prefer my super heros looking like every day people even when they get in costume. Not these amazon looking women, weapons so big and heavy where do they hide they or where do they keep they ammo, muscles so big that the human body would never look like that and the HULK being 10 feet tall, looking like a gorilla with perfect teeth a 200 inch waist and a belt that is still buckled. My belt broke after I gained a few inches to my waist line. Now with the stories from Hollywood. How many times do they have to show the origin of BATMAN, SUPERMAN or SPIDER-MAN?? Let's not forget the death of his uncle Ben. He died 3 different ways in the movies!! If they want todays comic books to succeed they need to go back to basics and QUIT trying to reinvent the wheel!! And Hollywood, STOP trying to update the stories for todays audiences. Just take a story from one or two comics and run with it AS IT IS. Failed tries with Daredevil, Hulk and Fantastic Four should tell you something. Even this last Spider-Man was disappointing. KEEP TO THE COMIC BOOK STORY LINES. That's what people want to see, talk about and enjoy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Good points, but I don't think that is the reasons the article is citing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
This is bullshit. I know. It is like saying people will stop buying physical CDs and albums or getting their news from newspapers. It's impossible.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Nope ... won't happen. The author of that article doesn't understand the business relationships that Marvel has with various companies regarding rights and IP ownership.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Nope ... won't happen. The author of that article doesn't understand the business relationships that Marvel has with various companies regarding rights and IP ownership.

Neither do I. Please elaborate. This sounds interesting. And informative. Thanks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
You guys are fast readers!!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Is digital hurting (or going to hurt) Diamond?

Lack of volume and their small cut is hurting Diamond. I would not say that digital is necessarily hurting their sales. They make pennies per comic to distribute it and have quite a bit of overhead to support their low profit margin.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

Publishing comics is an investment. Explain where their investment as a publisher is producing profits. The IP ownership and net worth of the Marvel characters is a separate entity from actually publishing them. Marvel can license their characters out to IDW, incur no financial risks and make straight profit off of the same intellectual properties. Disney didn't buy Marvel so they could tediously publish comics for low profit margins. They bought Marvel because they appealed to a demographic audience that was lacking in their intellectual property portfolio. Before buying Marvel, their movies appeal to small kids and parents of small kids. They were losing their audience in-between. Marvel bridged the gap and gave them intellectual properties that could hold an audience during their teens and into young adulthood. By that time, their audience gets married and Disney is selling movies to parents of young kids again. It's about the life cycle of retaining their customers. Disney doesn't care about publishing comics any more than they care about printing "Guardian of the Galaxy" cups for "Dairy Queen". They care about revenue and profits.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyko
You guys are fast readers!!!

That's what she said.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I'm nearly positive that neither Warner's nor Disney treats their comic publishing as anything other than a protection of IP, and a potential breeding ground for new IP.

Marvel made approximately...VERY approximately...$217M in gross sales last year.

That's LESS THAN Marvel made in 1993 (about $300-$325M), and that was in 1993 dollars.

Comics publishing is not profitable.

I speak to "Not Marvel/DC" publishers, and they STRUGGLE to pay the bills...and these are publishers that publish brands that are recognized worldwide.

I suspect that both Marvel and DC bleed money, and Disney and WB consider it a loss-leader, because of the value of their IP.

MCU totals, as of May of this year: $11,000,000,000.

Yes, that's Eleven Billion Dollars.

So far.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Publishing comics is an investment. Explain where their investment as a publisher is producing profits. The IP ownership and net worth of the Marvel characters is a separate entity from actually publishing them. Marvel can license their characters out to IDW, incur no financial risks and make straight profit off of the same intellectual properties. Disney didn't buy Marvel so they could tediously publish comics for low profit margins. They bought Marvel because they appealed to a demographic audience that was lacking in their intellectual property portfolio. Before buying Marvel, their movies appeal to small kids and parents of small kids. They were losing their audience in-between. Marvel bridged the gap and gave them intellectual properties that could hold an audience during their teens and into young adulthood. By that time, their audience gets married and Disney is selling movies to parents of young kids again. It's about the life cycle of retaining their customers. Disney doesn't care about publishing comics any more than they care about printing "Guardian of the Galaxy" cups for "Dairy Queen". They care about revenue and profits.

I didn't say anything about publishing in my comment
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Then what does it have to do with the post? I think I missed something.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

That's what the article is about. Publishing.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
"Marvel almost went bankrupt in95"

Dan Raviv, CBS Reporter, wrote an excellent book about MARVEL's plunge into bankruptcy: clickable text

It's a wonder MARVEL came out of bankruptcy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That's what the article is about. Publishing.

I'm well aware, thanks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I know absolutely nothing about publishing or movie making, or even toy selling.

But common sense tells me some ink, some cheap paper, some passable artists and writers. All the sundry expenditures for filing copyrights, and distributing, etc. Do not add up to $5.00 per copy.

They have to be making money.

Now what they claim and what they make are probably different animals (as with many business's). But surely comic books put out by DC, Marvel and a couple of other larger companies make a profit.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597867 50 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?