Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@JWKyle My concern is, CBCS might not have even been aware slabs like this were getting out the door. If this shines a light on a problem in Slabbing/QC they didn't know about then it is worth the effort, so they can address it and fix it.
I would think they are aware now. Let's see how it's handled.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Well ive learned in life that nothing is ever tamper proof or hack proof. A good crook will always find a way no matter the security system or what not. I remember being told the chip cards had an 80% or higher chance of never being hacked as was the case in europe. But low and behold we now have the chip cards and mine was compromised before i even activated it. I know of others that have had theirs hacked or compromised as well. So nothing is ever 100%
Post 152 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Well ive learned in life that nothing is ever tamper proof or hack proof. A good crook will always find a way no matter the security system or what not. I remember being told the chip cards had an 80% or higher chance of never being hacked as was the case in europe. But low and behold we now have the chip cards and mine was compromised before i even activated it. I know of others that have had theirs hacked or compromised as well. So nothing is ever 100%

Exactly. They counterfeit money - which the US Bureau of Engraving and printing spent millions incorporating anti-counterfeiting technologies into.

Slabbing isn't perfect, it's just better. CGC's case is (now) more tamper resistant. I would go so far as to even say tamper proof. But has other flaws a direct result of making it so. Newton rings are ugly and can't be gotten rid of now. If you want to unslab a new Gen 2 CGC case it's actually a challenge to do so without damaging the book.

But maybe CBCS can find the ideal balance here. Get that inner label consistently sealed in such a way that it is impossible to remove it without tearing it. Or maybe as someone suggested the safety seals on the slab. Because taking all things into account, tamper evident might be better than tamper proof.
Post 153 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I actually tend to agree as well. Except we need not lose sight of the fact that the person that is posting this video is virtually acting like a sniper. A sniper working for CGC. He posts up a video that makes CBCS look bad. Then pulls it down when the questions get pointed.

Then he posts up another video - and takes it down literally in minutes.

+1

I snipe. In video games and on ebay. This is very very true This is a clickbait maneuver beucase guess what - they are ALL reading this right now. omg, they are reading what I'm typing right now - Stop. Just stop reading what I type. ARGGGGGG
Post 154 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
A friend said it best to me an hour ago.
"I just want to enjoy comics".

If that's true, he shouldn't even be aware of any of this.

When I think about it, I was the happiest when I had my raw Bronze Age X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four in long boxes. Graded books are a pain in the ass.
Post 155 IP   flag post

Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@IronMan The poster of the video is not relevant to CBCS having a QC problem on this security feature we just found out about because CBCS used it as a tool to ease people's minds about said irrelevant video.

The poster of the videos is relevant.

My mind doesn't need to be eased since it never got wound up. I knew about CGC's issues long ago, and that's one reason I now only buy CBCS books.

The video is NOT proof positive of anything, other than the fact that poster of said videos is a flake with a bewildered mind.

Nothing is 100% foolproof, but what fun would life be if things were?

I believe most people in this hobby to be honest, but just because there's one rat in the house doesn't mean it's fully infested.
Post 156 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineCOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
My original labels are actually very noticeable with the heat seal going into them, none of my newer labels were sealed nearly as well.

Which means that the dirtbag who made this video either would have had to search the internets for two "error" slabs of the same book in order to make this happen, or he cut into the inner well more than implied and didnt show closeups for that reason.

Wth.

There is no reason to attack the character of a person whom you've. likely, never met, since you do not reference him by name. Let's elevate ourselves to a higher level of integrity. If this situation has already been addressed by CBCS, great (which, I believe they have). If not, then here is the opportunity to do so. But personal attacks made towards someone who is not even here to defend himself doesn't seem appropriate. Let's stay classy

+1

@GenuineCOA Torrey obviously has ulterior motives with this video, I'd have no problem saying what I said directly to him. There's no need to be shady, and anyone who is I believe to be a dirtbag. I have not seen the new video; maybe he rectified that, maybe not.

Joe, you've put up quite a stink on here about people referring to you as anything but DocBrown, and attacked the character of most of the people on this forum (including the moderators) in extremely derogatory terms on the ditch forum, while not referring to them by their first name nor having ever met them. Your +1 is astoundingly hypocritical here.
Post 157 IP   flag post
On a lighter note, I just went through the safe and every single one of my CBCS slabs has the label welded in 👌🏻

All are new label now, most recent June
Post 158 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
On a lighter note, I just went through the safe and every single one of my CBCS slabs has the label welded in 👌🏻

All are new label now, most recent June

Well, that's good. The first line of defense is the outer case and the ease of opening it is a concern. If a simple sticker solves this problem hopefully most can live with that. If it creates an uproar they may need to come up with a different approach.
Post 159 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Who the frak cares about the reputation or motivations of the guy who made the video? Why does it keep getting mentioned? It is completely irrelevant to the absolute fact that CBCS has been shipping out new slabs with labels that are not welded to the inner well. Obviously there is a problem with QC. These labels are susceptible to fraud, and now the knowledge of how to take advantage of those labels is out there for all the crooks to see, it is a serious problem. You can't see the top edge of a sliced well inside the slab.
Post 160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Who the frak cares about the reputation or motivations of the guy who made the video? Why does it keep getting mentioned?

A: I care. This guy is basically on trial in the court of public opinion. His motive and reputation are evidence to this case.

Thus far, I'm leaning towards guilty. His posts are pretty sketchy to say the least.
Post 161 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
While his motives may be questionable and the evidence presented in a rather hyperbolic way (speed/ease of task), it does not negate the fact that there remain issues with the integrity of some of the cases themselves.
Post 162 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics does his guilt or innocence of anything change or effect what happens in the CBCS slabbing room?
Post 163 IP   flag post
Quote:
@OrbitCityComics does his guilt or innocence of anything change or effect what happens in the CBCS slabbing room?

There's no proof that he can do what he claims. He hasn't proven that the book or label can be switched, he just claims it can and then shows a very sketchy, highly edited video.

Nothing is actually proven, so I'm not sure why I should be worried.
Post 164 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
We still have the second detailed 3 minute video. Cached files for the win.
Post 165 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics which part of "half the books in my personal collection of new label slabs have zero heat seal on the label" do you not understand? I can translate into other languages if that will help?
Post 166 IP   flag post
The only thing stopping a label swap is a heat seal on the label, which has been shown here to be completely missing on many new slabs, and 4mm of PETG.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
@OrbitCityComics which part of "half the books in my personal collection of new label slabs have zero heat seal on the label" do you not understand? I can translate into other languages if that will help?

Well, when you make a video of yourself actually switching the labels without zero detection, then - and only then - will I worry about it.

Until then I have no issues.
Post 168 IP   flag post
I could be wrong, but I really dont think people are not buying 1st gen CGC slabs because they can be easily counterfeit. If someone actually wants to be a bastard, they would be doing those.

@DarthLego if half (really half?) have no seal at all, then youre right; the QC guy has been moving too fast and needs to pay more attention. Could be a product of the massive QC backup, trying to move too quickly. Some of mine have only one side, or just a tad, but thats good enough for me.
Post 169 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

Well, when you make a video of yourself actually switching the labels without zero detection, then - and only then - will I worry about it.

Until then I have no issues.

Post 170 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Today I'm moving my daughter to IU for start of her graduate work. I won't have time all day for any posting or email.

I mention this because now I'm just pissed about all of this. There are a number of people which I am - deserved or not - their comic book expert. I don't say that to be anything special here. There are a few people on this discussion right now I view as MY expert.

But my message box and emails are filling up with people wanting to know if they need to be worried about their CBCS slabs.

This is s #@!!& drive by shooting, a nit and run attack. I can't know another's person's mental state or intentions, but I can see the results. Torrey starts this artificial shit storm and then pulls a disappearing act. No response to my email - even though we did business several weeks ago.

For those that say the poster being a CGC facilitator or it doesn't matter than that CGC's pre April 2016 comic slab and CURRENT magazine slab is even more easy to tamper doesn't matter, I say nonsense. It absolutely matters. Torrey doesn't mention those things. He has to KNOW those things. Which makes this just directed against CBCS.

Lets imagine you lock your car and go to bed. Get up the next morning and find someone has jimmied open the lock and taken a big dump in your front seat. You clean that up, go to work, lock you car and come back to find another big dump on your front seat.

Sure - you no doubt thinking you need some more secure way to lock up your car. But you are also wanting to know WHO and WHY someone is doing this and would like some opportunity for face to face time.

Tampering, label swapping, fake labels have always had some potential in graded comics - since day 1. But these videos that pop up then disappear are ONLY creating doubt about ONE company - and the poster is a facilitator for a competitor. An exclusive facilitator. That is significant.

Meanwhile, I completely agree that CBCS should go look at the QC issues, since the heat seal up from the sides isn't being consistently applied. And should make any attempts at label swapping evident.

In a rush, sorry for any typos or poor grammar
Post 171 IP   flag post
Motives aside of the original messenger....there came to light a very real problem because of it. That WILL NOT be ignored because of who the messenger was, it's gone beyond him now. It's bigger than him now. He is irrelevant. What is relevant are the slabs in my collection and other people's collection that we have absolutely shown here to be missing the heat seal. Before yesterday I didn't even know this was a security measure. It was CBCS themselves who pointed to this feature as a defense to all this.

I, let me repeat that, I am calling this out as an issue. You aren't dealing with the original messenger anymore, so stop mentioning him, he is nobody now. Respond to me, and about the evidence I presented and will continue to present until it has been addressed satisfactorily.
Post 172 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
meeseeks a solution?
Post 173 IP   flag post
We can post the video up if you guys want to see it. But remember Torrey, a CGC facilitator, is the original filmmaker, not us.
Post 174 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I still don't care. I like the slabs the way they are now. They are better than the cgc slabs. Any slab design will eventually be compromised by someone. Everytime you build a better mousetrap, along comes a bigger mouse.
Post 175 IP   flag post

Agreed.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I still don't care. I like the slabs the way they are now. They are better than the cgc slabs. Any slab design will eventually be compromised by someone. Everytime you build a better mousetrap, along comes a bigger mouse.

I agree with all of that, except the "I don't care" part.

I want CBCS to be successful. But to accomplish that, I would be remiss if I turned a blind eye to a stark problem with the current product. I want CBCS to make this right, so they can continue stomping upon CGC.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineCOA
Quote:
Quote:
My original labels are actually very noticeable with the heat seal going into them, none of my newer labels were sealed nearly as well.

Which means that the dirtbag who made this video either would have had to search the internets for two "error" slabs of the same book in order to make this happen, or he cut into the inner well more than implied and didnt show closeups for that reason.

Wth.

There is no reason to attack the character of a person whom you've. likely, never met, since you do not reference him by name. Let's elevate ourselves to a higher level of integrity. If this situation has already been addressed by CBCS, great (which, I believe they have). If not, then here is the opportunity to do so. But personal attacks made towards someone who is not even here to defend himself doesn't seem appropriate. Let's stay classy

+1

@GenuineCOA Torrey obviously has ulterior motives with this video, I'd have no problem saying what I said directly to him. There's no need to be shady, and anyone who is I believe to be a dirtbag. I have not seen the new video; maybe he rectified that, maybe not.

Joe, you've put up quite a stink on here about people referring to you as anything but DocBrown, and attacked the character of most of the people on this forum (including the moderators) in extremely derogatory terms on the ditch forum, while not referring to them by their first name nor having ever met them. Your +1 is astoundingly hypocritical here.

First, this side discussion isn't about me. It's about you referring to someone you don't know as a "dirtbag" with malicious motives, without any proof. That's inappropriate, no matter who it's from. If you have a valid argument, present it. If not, then calling people names isn't the right way to handle things. If he has ulterior motives, fine, present them, prove them, provide the evidence, so people can draw their own conclusions. But calling someone a dirtbag...as dirtbaggy as they may actually be...is never appropriate in social settings like this...that is, a moderated board.

You want to discuss it elsewhere, I'm sure you would be more than welcome to...elsewhere. While we are here, however, the standards of our hosts need to be followed, as much as possible...by everyone.

Unfortunately, because of human nature, people whose opinions are challenged or criticized often internalize those challenges as an attack on them, personally, rather than on what they think or believe. It takes an effort to say "ok, so and so isn't attacking me...they're just questioning what I think."

You would be very hard pressed to find actual examples of "character attacks" by me about anyone here. Just because one defines criticism and questioning as "character attacks", doesn't make them so.

As to the "referring to me as DocBrown", as has been said before, it is a matter of courtesy. When other names are used, people are often confused as to who someone is talking to. And it is as disingenuous as one can possibly be to pretend that people haven't used other names, proper and user, to take jabs at others, which is the ultimate reason why a "stink" was made (oh, and by the way, moderators WERE NOT asked to step in by me in that situation. They made that decision on their own.)

Your use of my name "Joe" here is, itself, a jab, as you well know. I use your user name here..."shrewbeer", or "SB" for short, and not Bill, or Ted, or Steve, or John, or whatever your real name is...because I want everyone to know who I am talking to, and because it's respectful to do so.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Nooooo don't let this thread get locked. Go away shooooooooo. Shooo fly
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Nooooo don't let this thread get locked. Go away shooooooooo. Shooo fly

Cut it out. Every member has as much right to post as every other member.
Post 180 IP   flag post
601359 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.