Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Symbiote, on a positive note, cool avatar/pic. Is that a venomized Superman?
Post 451 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
he's not because my PM went through
Post 452 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 453 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

If that is, in fact, what he meant, we gonna need a South Park "apologize" up in here 😁
Post 454 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

If that is, in fact, what he meant, we gonna need a South Park "apologize" up in here 😁

Now that its been exposed, who in their right mind is going to fess up and say "Ya, I meant what I said"?
Post 455 IP   flag post

Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
pretty sad when a discussion about comics turns racial
Post 456 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It wasn't racial. It was woodpeckers in reverse. I have never posted a racial slur and certainly wouldn't be provoked into doing so on a comic book chat board. Someone needs to get a grip.
Post 457 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I have heard that word used before although not often (i kinda assumed it was an old-timers word (sorry Watson lol)) but i honestly never knew it had a racial connotation to it either so I think people might be blowing this one out of proportion a bit. Lets get back to the topic at hand perhaps?
Post 458 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It wasn't racial. It was woodpeckers in reverse. I have never posted a racial slur and certainly wouldn't be provoked into doing so on a comic book chat board. Someone needs to get a grip.

Someone's got their feathers ruffled lol

A more appropriate and less egotistical response would have been

"My apologies, I didn't realize the word had racial connotations. I sometimes use words without knowing their true meaning".

I have yet to see that word used on any other posting here because people either know its meaning or won't use it because they don't know its meaning.
Post 459 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
google it people

obviously you're not from the deep south
Post 460 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
google it people

obviously you're not from the deep south

I'm from Texas; and yes, after googling it i see it's meaning but it wasn't until this conversation that i knew that because honestly, the word rarely comes up so i've never really given it much thought. I have no idea what Watson's intentions were in using the word but i was just pointing out that I personally have heard the word before but was unaware of its meaning.
Post 461 IP   flag post
Lesson is, don't use words without knowing the meaning (unless he did know the meaning, we'll never know).
Post 462 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
the word in question is used as a slur it also can be used as a gang term
Post 463 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Someone's got their feathers ruffled lol

A more appropriate and less egotistical response would have been

"My apologies, I didn't realize the word had racial connotations. I sometimes use words without knowing their true meaning".

I have yet to see that word used on any other posting here because people either know its meaning or won't use it because they don't know its meaning.

I'm sorry if you were offended, but it isn't a racial term where I am from, which happens to be Tennessee. However, I suppose that since the Internet has deemed it racial, then it must be true.
Post 464 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 465 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Post 466 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user

Post 467 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atakmunky7
Wow. Had no clue people was a slur. Apparently it is. It's on Google and everything.

Same here. Just thought it was a random insult

Excuse my avatar, don't be calling me a ....!

learn new things everyday lol thanks Google.
Post 468 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
That comment was made 3 days ago!!! According to the Urban dictionary, it is another way of saying redneck. Only one person reported it and MANY people did not know its' meaning, or chose to ignore it. Seeing as how it was not directed at anyone in particular, we, after talking with DocWatson, decided it was an innocent term and no racial slur was intended. No suspension was issued as we have OFTEN just warned people over issues like this. If you were not offended by it when you first read it, how offensive can it be? And just for clarification, people can send and accept pms while suspended.
Post 469 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
That comment was made 3 days ago!!! According to the Urban dictionary, it is another way of saying redneck. Only one person reported it and MANY people did not know its' meaning, or chose to ignore it. Seeing as how it was not directed at anyone in particular, we, after talking with DocWatson, decided it was an innocent term and no racial slur was intended. No suspension was issued as we have OFTEN just warned people over issues like this. If you were not offended by it when you first read it, how offensive can it be? And just for clarification, people can send and accept pms while suspended.

Not true, I was unable to PM Kaptainmyke during his suspension. During my suspension I could only message moderators. Either something is broken or you don't understand the working of your own forum.

Also, there may be people who consider Redneck a derogatory term. I don't, but some might. Language should be handled carefully. Also, while I was not aware the P word had racial connotations, I did perceive it as an offensive term for males, and that is how I took Dr Watson's meaning. I don't think the number of or lack of people pressing the report button should be used as some sort of moderation gauge like a reverse applause meter. But that's just my two cents.
Post 470 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

Please don't use Urban Dictionary, it is NOT a reputable source lol

It is actually a real word from an actual dictionary (go figure) lol

Meriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/

Oxford Dictionary
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/peckerwood

"If you were not offended by it when you first read it, how offensive can it be?"

Really!? So, it's alright to say racial slurs on this forum as long as most people don't know its a slur?
Post 471 IP   flag post
Favoritism is strong on this forum with the children who run it.
Post 472 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 473 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Since I have never been suspended, I can only go by what the tech guy told us. In the beginning, suspended people were able to pm other people. He may have changed that because we did see that as a concern. We don't use the report button as a reverse applause meter, but it does help us judge the overall acceptance level of postings on the forum. And we DO try our best to keep on top of language usage here.

@Symbiote Words often have regional connotations and meanings. Definitions and inferences of words also changes over time and generations. For example, gay used to mean happy. My point is that what is offensive in one area of the USA, or to one segment of Americans, may be acceptable in another part. I think this is a perfect example of that. We are "Moderators". We have to decide if something is appropriate or not and make a decision based on that information. For myself, I never knew it was a racial slur and I've heard it a lot of times. Obviously, that is not everyones' take on it. My apologies for us not taking your report more seriously.

@kaptainmyke Since you feel the need to discuss this in public, I will politely remind you that you have been given a wide leeway yourself. I can name instances if you insist.

@Towmater That's hilarious!!!
Post 474 IP   flag post
Duly noted.
Post 475 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O any update on what CBCS is doing to address the lack of tamper evidence on slabs?
Post 476 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

Fair response. Appreciated 👍🏻
Post 477 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@Jesse_O any update on what CBCS is doing to address the lack of tamper evidence on slabs?

Not yet. We are just mods here. We are not employees of CBCS. When there is an announcement, we'll find out at the same time as everyone else. However, we DO bug Ricketts about it almost daily!! LOL
Post 478 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user

Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
It is correct that the PM system doesn't work between regular members during a suspension. That's true for both the suspendee, and the ones trying to communicate with same.

But this does reveal a bit about how the report button is used, and why, doesn't it...?

Isn't the answer to just decide not to be offended by these terms in the first place? I don't mean comments directed at specific people; the most innocuous-seeming comment can be a personal attack, and the most "offensive" term, not. But wouldn't it be nice if people treated such words with the attention they deserve (that is, none), and didn't give them power by reacting to them...?

I know there are arguments about how offensive the terms are; we've all heard them. But since you can't change someone else's mind by force, wouldn't it just be healthier to choose to not be offended, rather than holding people to standards that they may not even be AWARE of...? Is it reasonable to expect people to know even down to regional slang what not to say...? Political correctness is the death knell of a civilization.

That said, I must say that the number of reports should never, under any circumstances, be used to judge anything. 1 person can be completely correct, and 1,000 people can be absolutely wrong. And no, I'm not being self-referential; that's a general principle. The substance of the report, and its context, are what matters.
Post 480 IP   flag post
597993 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.