Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw this on the CGC Comic Fans Facebook group...this guy swapped two CBCS cases within minutes with ease but in watching him do it, I don't see how this is possible in my experience cracking CBCS slabs....so is this video fake or can this really be done this easily?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXki-uglJVc

Couple things:
1. I have not been able to pop off the clips that quickly and that easily and kept them in perfect condition to just "pop" them back on
2. Every CBCS book i can remember cracking has had the label laminated inside of the inner sleeve, so you can slip the label out without cutting the laminate.
3. while minor, the label at the top edge of the case would still have the 9.8 label which wouldn't match the now swapped label
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MightyMutt private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. There are a few things that make it suspisious. First not showing how he did it drops it's credibility. Next I noticed twords the end that it looks like he is holding an Ipad or tablet makeing the video. You can see this in the reflection from the case. It looks like he is holding the tablet with 2 hands while fidgeting with the case. Last time I checked we have 2 arms and hands not 4. The whole things looks suspicious to me
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
It's hard to say seeing as how he does nothing on camera.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SD2416 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMutt
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. There are a few things that make it suspisious. First not showing how he did it drops it's credibility. Next I noticed twords the end that it looks like he is holding an Ipad or tablet makeing the video. You can see this in the reflection from the case. It looks like he is holding the tablet with 2 hands while fidgeting with the case. Last time I checked we have 2 arms and hands not 4. The whole things looks suspicious to me

A cameraman?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's obviously a second camera person. This video is disturbing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
while minor, the label at the top edge of the case would still have the 9.8 label which wouldn't match the now swapped label

Not if he puts the top edges back with the respective swapped labels?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
while minor, the label at the top edge of the case would still have the 9.8 label which wouldn't match the now swapped label

Not if he puts the top edges back with the respective swapped labels?

Yea you are right, didn't think about that lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe anyone's cases are 100% tamper-proof. If someone is determined enough, they will find a way to make it happen. Just another reason not to buy slabbed books off the internet.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
1. I have not been able to pop off the clips that quickly and that easily and kept them in perfect condition to just "pop" them back on
2. Every CBCS book i can remember cracking has had the label laminated inside of the inner sleeve, so you can slip the label out without cutting the laminate.
3. while minor, the label at the top edge of the case would still have the 9.8 label which wouldn't match the now swapped label

Its absolutely fake to some degree. You're right, he would have to cut the inner well to get the labels out. Also, one cannot just pop those clips off that fast, unless he pre-heated them beforehand to loosen them up.

He probably (and showed) did this, but it took him much longer than this 3 minute video, and the inner wells are now cut and open; leaving the labels to float about
Post 9 IP   flag post
Crooks and scammers are everywhere. People will always find a way.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
I just received a slabbed book from cbcs today
looking at the label it looks seal to the book

so I cant see how he swapped the label
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure about swapping out the labels, but I have taken book out of CBCS cases and put the case back together with zero signs of tampering. I will scan one after lunch.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Abrowncoat private msg quote post Address this user
I had heard about this being possible with older CBCS slabs from when the company first started. The slabs he's demoing are an older style. If the video had used more recent slabs, I'd be more concerned. For now it's just a good thing to know and watch for when you see older slabs.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
perhaps they are not quite tamper proof... but i'm not buying it.

@JLA555 glad you posted the screenshot. Could be a CGC troll.

The slabs could have been broken open prior to the making of the video. Additionally, that thin white label at the top edge of the slabs would need to be removed too no? I cant remember if they are on the inside or outside but removing a sticker would be a pain. The label would rip off.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Here is his response:

Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I opened a case intact by accident.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I also can easily pop the clips off with no signs of tampering on a cbcs case. Perhaps if CBCS added glue to the clips it would resolve this. Also the labels can be pulled out as well, they are not sealed in the Mylar.
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Its absolutely fake to some degree. You're right, he would have to cut the inner well to get the labels out. Also, one cannot just pop those clips off that fast, unless he pre-heated them beforehand to loosen them up.

He probably (and showed) did this, but it took him much longer than this 3 minute video, and the inner wells are now cut and open; leaving the labels to float about

I'm confused, inner labels are not sealed in the Mylar. There is an opening on either side where you can pull it out.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
After seeing who made that video, I call spurious. Probably just trying to scare potential CBCS customers and new collectors so he can generate more business for his ridiculously overpriced CGC services.

Eff twin cities comics.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to fuel the fire here but I have been able to pop the tabs off with a flat head. I love CBCS so I don't want to add to any sort of panic but I have always had that "what if?" switch in the back of my head.
Post 22 IP   flag post
See, basically confirmed by 3 people in the forum already that it can be done. CBCS please add some sort of extra layer to your cases. Glue seems to be the easiest fix. The new CGC cases are glued on all 4 sides. I have not been able to open them without breaking the whole case.
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
This is a book I did a CPR on. The tabs came off so clean I was able to pop them back on with no problem (I can do this on most CBCS slabs).

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, this is a good reason to submit directly yourself. I don't buy slabbed comics from eBay or local shops or conventions.

But absolutely, something has to be done here with this.
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts @Jake_Fleming

Damage control please, goodluck.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Popcorn
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa I think this'll blow over in a day or two just like it did when I demonstrated something similar a few months ago.

While I'd love a more tamper-proof design, that would take a while to design and bring to market all the while people are still waiting for magazine-sized slabs. Though it'd be nice to get the more tamper-proof design implemented on the magazine slabs which I'm sure will be here #soon, then implement it into comic slabs shortly after
Post 29 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite but now this design flaw is being talked about on YouTube and cgc forums for the 1st time. Going viral would be very bad 😐😑
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.