Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Midnight Release Goofiness392

Collector James private msg quote post Address this user
As you all know by now, Rebirth is out tomorrow and many stores are doing a midnight release, spurred on by DC. Marvel and Valiant, among others, jumped on the bandwagon 'allowing' books to be released tomorrow morning. Isn't this just a totally arbitrary and meaningless gesture by Marvel & the other companies? There is no given release time for these books other than the day(Wednesday) of their solicit.

If I ran a 24 hour comic shop what prevents me from releasing the books at midnight every week? Anything that excites the reader base is great, but I guess I just don't see why anyone would fall for this type of thing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
As you all know by now, Rebirth is out tomorrow and many stores are doing a midnight release, spurred on by DC. Marvel and Valiant, among others, jumped on the bandwagon 'allowing' books to be released tomorrow morning. Isn't this just a totally arbitrary and meaningless gesture by Marvel & the other companies? There is no given release time for these books other than the day(Wednesday) of their solicit.

If I ran a 24 hour comic shop what prevents me from releasing the books at midnight every week? Anything that excites the reader base is great, but I guess I just don't see why anyone would fall for this type of thing.

I just got back from the midnight release.

I love my LCS... he was also giving out free Rebirth #1 variants.
Plus every 'New 52' back issue for .52 cents.

It was fun to hang out with people, talk about comics. get cheap books, get free variants... and talk about the new book. Store had a free drawing and winner got a Rebirth Lithograph signed by Jim Lee.

No one is "falling" for anything. Its not some scheme dreamed up to trick you into going to the store at midnight and giving extra money or anything.

Its a cool little event that comic book fans can go to and have fun. Why does it have to be anything more than that? Do you think stores are misleading people to come in at midnight? Tricking people with some fun little event?

Heres what i got for less than 8$

Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm glad you had a great time. My question, I should better phrase it, is why are the publishers making a big deal out of a midnight release by 'authorizing' the retailers to sell product early, when they can sell it on Wednesday either way?

That's what I mean by falling for it, that they're allowing retailers to sell it early when that's not the case at all.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm glad you had a great time. My question, I should better phrase it, is why are the publishers making a big deal out of a midnight release by 'authorizing' the retailers to sell product early, when they can sell it on Wednesday either way?

That's what I mean by falling for it, that they're allowing retailers to sell it early when that's not the case at all.

Id imagine its like Video Games Releases. Retailer are legally not allowed to break street date due to weird contracts and press releases... etc... but in an effort to get it to people as soon as the date hits... they offer midnight release.

Again... its probably to drum up a little hype and get some bonus stuff sold. (i bought that Cyborg comic i normally probably wouldnt have bought... so that midnight release gave DC some extra sales)

So other than that... i dont think anyone thinks DC is doing something crazy outrageous by allowing this. Its not malicious, and again... if anything... the people who even are going to go to these things are the more hardcore fans who want to hang out at a comic shop at midnight, and read a book a few hours earlier.(ive gone to dozens of video game midnight releases just to be able to play a game a few hours ealier.)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
So other than that... i dont think anyone thinks DC is doing something crazy outrageous by allowing this. Its not malicious, and again... if anything... the people who even are going to go to these things are the more hardcore fans who want to hang out at a comic shop at midnight, and read a book a few hours earlier.

Those hardcore fans need to get a job and a life.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton Those hardcore fans need to get a job and a life.[/quote

So those who go to the midnight launch for a comic event have no job and don't have a life? Wow. Maybe they just want to experience a midnight release since they occur in the comic industry a whopping one time about every 3-5 years at best. The stores put on a party, they have the exclusive variant and sale, they want to do something different, it's all voluntary, no one is forced to go so unsure why it's even an issue with people.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

I'm pretty sure he's just joking around, what with being on a comic book message board and all.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

I'm pretty sure he's just joking around, what with being on a comic book message board and all.

Well its kind of hard to tell when a person is joking and when they aren't.
Post 8 IP   flag post
597866 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?