Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeQuestions

I know it's rare but...3892

Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Do collector's really dig these books? That's a crazy price tag for a non-key modern book. And how does it even retain that grade if the other covers have lower grades? This one puzzles me. And how did it get 5 covers in the first place?

FANTASTIC FOUR 261. CBCS 9.9. QUINTUPLE "5" COVER VARIANT. BEST GRADE EVER!

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
It's cool but at that asking price will never sale.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
gee, a high grade hulk 181, spiderman 129, walking dead 1, plus a few others

or, an otherwise common book that recently sold for a buck
Post 3 IP   flag post
@andy49 thats what i'm thinking too. aside from the ridiculous price tag, why would any one want this? Especially if you thought about re-selling in the future.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@infinityG Comics with multiple covers are graded based on the condition of the nicest cover. The reason is that it is possible for the owner to remove (that is, literally detach from the comic) all but the nicest cover and still keep the comic at that highest grade (with only a single cover, of course). So, for this comic, the owner could carefully remove all covers except the interior cover and still retain the 9.9 grade.

With that said... There's no way on earth that I'd pay that much for that comic. But that's just me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There are nutty folks out there who collect oddities. It has 5 covers because the machine messed up at the factory and put 5 covers on it. Nothing wrong with seller shooting for the moon, but will probably never sell that high.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
Do collector's really dig these books? That's a crazy price tag for a non-key modern book. And how does it even retain that grade if the other covers have lower grades? This one puzzles me. And how did it get 5 covers in the first place?

Thoughts?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
That's cool, but not $12,500 cool.
I think the funny part is that the seller still wants $5 for shipping!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 ahhh ok that i could see, that makes sense.

@drchaos

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
When I hear that a book has five covers, I start doubting it was a manufacturing defect.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
He's asking about 12x what I'd imagine would be the top of the mark.

I'm not a error book collector, so, maybe someone can enlighten me. Does about $1,000 sound closer to reality?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@jrs

@00slim i can't even see 1K for that book.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore

Yeah, that always cracks me up. You want 10s of 1000s of dollars, but you'll still gonna charge a separate shipping fee? And also, only $5? If I spent that much on a book it had better be shipping 2-day with maximum insurance.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Well, it does have "Make Offer".
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, if someone offered him $100, do you think he would counter with an actual number? Or, just decline?

I imagine at this point, he has to have a minimum in mind.
Post 16 IP   flag post
i would imagine they would at least want to recoup the cost of grading lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I bet he's one of those guys who doesn't actually want to sell but is listing it to showcase what he has
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
he might not want to sell and just keep at that price,
i do have some comics with 2, 3 or 4 covers. but i don't think i would ever sell for that price.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
I bet he's one of those guys who doesn't actually want to sell but is listing it to showcase what he has

I hate when people do that 😏
Post 20 IP   flag post
should we bombard his listing with BOs? lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore

Yeah, that always cracks me up. You want 10s of 1000s of dollars, but you'll still gonna charge a separate shipping fee? And also, only $5? If I spent that much on a book it had better be shipping 2-day with maximum insurance.

BATMAN #1, $5,000,000!!!!

(plus $12 S&H.)

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG

Thoughts?

It's a shame it doesn't have 6 covers, then it would be worth that price.
Just kidding - what a strange book!!
...definitely unique, and worth what someone is willing to pay.

I have error pokemon cards that claim a much higher premium than the card without the error, so I can see the value. Errors make something One-Of-A-Kind - only problem being FF261 is not a high demand/key book...I think it's worth MUCH less, but much MORE than a regular FF261. How much more? Hard to say.
Post 23 IP   flag post
What's a real shame is that the outer cover...the only cover you see...is a 9.4. Bleagh.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector jaeldubyoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@infinityG Comics with multiple covers are graded based on the condition of the nicest cover. The reason is that it is possible for the owner to remove (that is, literally detach from the comic) all but the nicest cover and still keep the comic at that highest grade (with only a single cover, of course). So, for this comic, the owner could carefully remove all covers except the interior cover and still retain the 9.9 grade.

With that said... There's no way on earth that I'd pay that much for that comic. But that's just me.

Too risky to remove covers. Beside the possibility of damage to the remaining cover, you'll probably end up with loose staples. And you may not get the same grade when resubmitted. Removing 4 covers is not a good idea.

Anyways, having 5 covers is probably worth a premium. But certainly much, much less than that optimistic asking price.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Not worth how much that guy has it listed for. Guy probably just wants to show it off.
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@jaeldubyoo I wasn't suggesting that anyone remove the extra covers. I was simply explaining why a comic with multiple covers can be assigned a grade that is higher than the comic actually appears based on the appearance of its outer cover.

@DocBrown Agreed, but whaddya do?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

@DocBrown Agreed, but whaddya do?

Rip off the two outer covers.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I would buy it for $600 max
Post 29 IP   flag post
601211 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?