Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Can books ripple with age?368

Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a copy f NYX 3 that is in pristine shape except that it seems to have developed a concentric ripple on the front cover. It's never been in touch with water and I've always stored it in a sleeve and board. I know that it can be pressed out but I'm curious if anyone knows if this is a common thing? Is there a name for it?
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, it's a common thing to happen in high humidity areas such as the southeastern United States.
The best way to avoid this problem, I think, is store your comics in an interior room with no exterior walls, a humidifier/de-humidifier, no light, in overstuffed boxes to keep them pressed flat.
I have had this happen to some of my books so I rebagged them in a backer-board "sandwich" to flatten them back out over the course of the next 10 or so years.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Did it work fairly well? I'm just getting this book pressed and slabbed but I have others. Does using mylite bags have any effect?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Hero_Restoration private msg quote post Address this user
Are you sure it wasn't always that way? Modern glossy page books come off the press wavy, some more than others. Humidity is another cause, but usually doesn't impact most post 2000 modern books unless it is very high.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@jmh722 Well, I'm not sure yet. I just did that 2yrs ago, I'm not planning to check on them for 8 more years.
I'll let you know how they turn out.

I did do the same thing about 10 years ago for some books that had spine roll and it worked great on those.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Hero_Restoration: That's a possibility too. Is there a way to determine whether it's a production or a humidity issue?

@The_Curmedgeon - Yes, get back to me sometime in the next decade
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Hero_Restoration private msg quote post Address this user
I can tell, usually, but I am not sure how to describe what I am looking for. Production generally looks like the ocean with swells, does that make any sense? LoL
Post 7 IP   flag post
Humidity damage usually takes the form of small ripples at the top, and sometimes the bottom, of comics stored in humid conditions.
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Humidity damage usually takes the form of small ripples at the top, and sometimes the bottom, of comics stored in humid conditions.

Depends on the level of humidity. Could be slight ripples along the top and bottom edges, all the way to a wavy distorted book. Having worked on many copies NYX #3 it is one of those books that had issues right off the press.
Post 9 IP   flag post
598060 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?