Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Lets see if I burst i to flames....3667

Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
So whats the difference between cbcs & cgc and how do they differ when it comes to picking which one you want grading your comics?
Is one more desirable than the other when it comes to buying a graded comic? Or is it neither here nor there.

Also whats involved when it comes to cbcs raw grading other than it being cheaper and is it worth it?

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Originally, comics that I intended to keep in my collection would go to CBCS and comics I wanted to sell would go to CGC but now I send everything to CBCS since the selling prices are leveling out. Buying online, I don't mind picking up CGC books but I won't go out of my way to give them my money to grade my books anymore.

I think CBCS gives a better true grade whereas CGC seems to be more lenient.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Most of us have made a decision (if one was made) after months or years of experiential dealings. Suffice it to say that 100% of my submissions are CBCS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Most of us have made a decision (if one was made) after months or years of experiential dealings. Suffice it to say that 100% of my submissions are CBCS.

I'd agree with this. My choice to go with CBCS is as much about this community as it is about their quality of work.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS prices are better, customer service is better, their slabs don't have Newton Rings. When CBCS had a slab problems years ago, they stop production, fixed the issue and took full responsibility. When CGC's new slab last year was actually damaging books, they denied the problem, deleted threads about the problem, and even though they fixed the problem behind the scenes, continue to this day to deny that the problem ever existed. And they still haven't solved Newton Rings. Numerous reports of bad customer service from CGC. Numerous reports of CGC actually damaging books and then proceeding to grade the damage that they caused.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Both grading companies are legit.

The big reasons why I use CBCS:

- when they fck up, they admit it and do whatever it takes to make it right as fast as possible. Even publicly. My experience with the other is the opposite

- I believe they are better at finding all the defects, and that CGC misses some more often. That might not be true, but for me it is.

- Most importantly CBCS is run by comic book collectors, and tends to take less of a "business first" view on important matters to collectors when compared to CGC.

Good luck, hope you dont catch fire too badly lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So this is an oft asked question on the forum. I am sure there are some archived threads with a lot of information you are looking for. But, its also seems to be a favorite topic for all of us to discuss, so let's dive in.

You'll hear a lot of CGC cons regarding their former cases, which are called "creep engines." They actually damaged books. A google search will pull up a few youtube videos showing this.

Some of us think CBCS grades more strictly. The data that's coming in seems to bear that out slightly, but on a whole they are not too far off from each other. (I might be struck down for saying that).

There was a time, as @Thanatos has said, that profit seeking collectors used CGC because they garnered better prices at auction. CGC was the original and they have brand recognition. Example, their name is a flipping verb now for crying out loud (i.e. "CGC it" ) But, sales between the two at auction are beginning to equal out as CBCS is proving itself. Eventually, I don't think there will be a difference.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that CGC is more corporate. They're the juggernaut. CBCS is the scrappy up and comer. They tend to be more responsive to customers and are trying hard to earn collectors' trust and business. Any company is in it for the money, but CBCS seems to actually care about the hobby too. Finally, CGC requires a membership to submit. Yes, I know that the discounts available to members evens the membership fee out almost automatically, but I don't like pay to play organizations. With CBCS, anyone can submit. If you want extra perks, you become a paying member.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Is anyone else feeling Deja Vu?

Post 9 IP   flag post
@KingNampa plenty of good info there, and there were some flippin' good arguments in some of those threads too 🍺
Post 10 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Ya, what else can be said? If someone had a "new" argument but so far I've seen the same stuff.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I like the new avatar.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@KingNampa I like the new avatar.

Thanks. I chose it in preparation for the greatest pancake I shall receive in the mail tomorrow from CBCS. I'll share it when I get it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
Now I feel stupid... or lazy?

Should have really carried out a cgc vs cbcs google search.

But thanks for the replies and info.

What about PGX
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
What about PGX

That is verboten!

Well, not really. They just suck.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
It's all about your personal preference.

I think we all have reasons for choosing one over the other, BUT the big decider for me was the community.

Everyone here is welcome to their opinion, and really the interactions on this forum chose my membership for me.

Elitism kills.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Relatively new to the slab process but here's my perspective. I re-started comic book collecting about a year ago and also began going through my old piles of comic books. I realized I had way too many comics and need to basically get rid of most of them. I figued e-bay would be the ticket. I first tried CGC but got frustrated trying to process my first order. CBCS was easier and smoother thus I went with them. Next was this forum which is fun and extremely educational in comic book collecting. People posting here are very impressive in their wealth of knowledge, share it with no hesitation to your level, and still retain a sense of humor about the whole thing. Also love the posted images, although my wallet would disagree. With all the info I've gained here, I have decided all submissions, will be CBCS, tho I may purchase a stray CBC if the situation warrants it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I like CGC case because it comes with free rainbows (AKA Newton Rings).

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I like CGC case because it comes with free rainbows (AKA Newton Rings).

For real, my Predator #1 it looks like Predator's active camouflage is malfunctioning in lenticular 3D. Lol

It will be heading to CBCS #soon.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
What better way to enjoy The Greatest Sketch Artist of our time but with rainbows.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
What better way to enjoy The Greatest Sketch Artist of our time but with rainbows.

ROFL 🤣🤣
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
LMAO @shrewbeer

That is classic!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Is spidey giving the finger?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Does Spidey have three legs, or is he just happy to see us?
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Does Spidey have three legs, or is he just happy to see us?

We'll soon see what Marvel has in store.
Post 26 IP   flag post
600441 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?