Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

A very honest response from an e-bay seller!3656

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, a CGC 9.0 Savage Tales #1 just went up for sale. The thing is, the seller was asking a little over double what the last graded 9.0 sold for, and that was only a month ago.

On a positive note, he did list it with a "Best Offer" option. So, as politely as I could, I e-mailed him and mentioned the price discrepancy along with some current sales data. I closed by mentioning I was sincerely interested & that hopefully we could make a deal.

This was his response:

"Most of these books are from my Personal Collection. They're priced High because I don't really want to let them go. I kind of enjoy showcasing them on eBay. But if somebody offers me an exorbitant amount of money then I would let them go. Thanks for your interest. Feel free to make an offer."

I did make an offer, which he just declined, but I saw that coming.

It's cool, cuz an auction for a 9.4 ends in two days.

I really appreciated his candor, though. I thought you guys would appreciate it as well.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, me too. I list some of my higher priced comics in the hopes that maybe someone will buy it, but if not no big deal I don't mind keeping it. From time to time when I do sell some of the key comics that were "overpriced" I just reinvest the sales into more comics.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah. I always list my "Best Offer" books with a cushion for negotiating.

I was just surprised how straightforward he was about why it was priced that way.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Bontchimuz private msg quote post Address this user
How do you find out what graded slabs sell for on ebay? Is there a section or tool I am not aware of?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Heh. That's pretty funny... interesting place to showcase your books
Post 5 IP   flag post
There's the ComicsMV app & website.

But you can also just click the "completed" & "sold" tabs in the e-Bay search filter.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
So basically this seller is using eBay as his/her personal museum.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn't there a member who said once they kept books on eBay at crazy high prices just so the wife would think he was trying to sell them off?
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Wasn't there a member who said once they kept books on eBay at crazy high prices just so the wife would think he was trying to sell them off?

Yeah he posted them high to keep them but told the wife they were up for sale.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Disfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's brilliant! I'm going to have to start doing that with my wife. As I'm a recent returnee to the comic collecting world I'm searching for a couple of high graded, popular books. Part of the way I sold this idea to my wife was telling her that I'd sell off some of the better, more valuable books from my old collection to help pay for the new ones. Now I know exactly how I'm going to "sell" them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I do the same thing. We all do to an extent.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfan
Quote:

That's brilliant! I'm going to have to start doing that with my wife. As I'm a recent returnee to the comic collecting world I'm searching for a couple of high graded, popular books. Part of the way I sold this idea to my wife was telling her that I'd sell off some of the better, more valuable books from my old collection to help pay for the new ones. Now I know exactly how I'm going to "sell" them.

When I first started reading this post I thought you were saying you were going to list your wife for sale on eBay but ask way to high a price.....
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Disfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
When I first started reading this post I thought you were saying you were going to list your wife for sale on eBay but ask way to high a price.....

Now that would require at least a few close up photos from different angles to verify the listed grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Heh. That's pretty funny... interesting place to showcase your books

Not a smart idea at all. Perhaps the seller has no concept of seller fees. For those that don't sell, you can easily rack up 100 dollars in fees in a month. It is a real business and not just a hobbie.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Quote:

Yeah he posted them high to keep them but told the wife they were up for sale.

This dude
Post 15 IP   flag post
I can't even remember the last time eBay charged me a listing fee. Or am I just special?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time eBay charged me a listing fee. Or am I just special?
You need to start selling or you're doing something wrong.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@verbogyrater I am selling. eBay gives me free listings, $0.00. The only time I pay eBay is after I sell something.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You must still be a new seller. You'll eventually be charged after fifty I think it was. Then add that to 10 percent, 9.5 if you have a comic/collectibles store, off the back including on the shipping.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm not a new seller, I have many years of selling under me, but I am very low volume.
Post 20 IP   flag post
If you have a store, the insertion fee per item can be zero. But there's a flat fee to have a store (I think I pay $50 a month).

On top of that, there's the 10% per sale "final value" fee.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Okay.
Post 22 IP   flag post
So, bottom line, eBay reels you in with free, and then gets ya when you get big time.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Kinda. I don't sell as much as I used to, but my average e-bay invoice is $100 a month.
Post 24 IP   flag post
They really do take you for an ass raping. I brought it up during a phone call to the billing dept and their rebuttal was that if you had a brick and mortar business you'd be paying for the costs of keeping that business afloat. My response was the whole idea of an internet business is to get away from those costs not pay just a little less...Frigging idiots.

So you make 30 ...before all the ancillary costs and end up giving 10 percent off the entirety to fleabay right off the rip. Just another internet institution's ass rape. We need a serious competitor to rise up against ebay.
Post 25 IP   flag post
598066 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?