Value Restored vs Original for a Major Key?3628

Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:
@D84 So would a Hulk 181 graded 4.5 with slight pro color touch on cover sell for 5-10% of a graded 4.5 copy that has no color touch?

How about a 4.5 Hulk 181 missing the MVS with no color touch versus a 4.5 with color touch but has the MVS?

Hulk 181 isn't old enough for that to apply

Really?

So the resto vs non-resto only applies to Silver, Golden, and Platinum Age books?

Yeah dude, u want zero resto on anything past silver...it KILLS the value
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@Deadpoolica I know that. But I didn't think it would kill a Hulk 181 to the point of only being worth 5-10% of an unrestored book--especially one with slight pro color touch.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Deadpoolica I mean would a cover less 181 sell for more than a complete copy with color touch on the cover?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector spideyfan68 private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't it widely suspected that kellysuperheroes is really the scumbag known as Dan Dupcak, one of the great crooks in comics history? Just about every book he sold in the day was color touched and trimmed, overgraded by at least two grades. Used to go by Comic-Keys, then robojo33.

I will say the signnatures look legit but I would be surprised if that book isnt trimmed and doesnt look quite as good once you get it hand. Photos of comics can be very decieving. If you paid by PayPal you're covered but proceed at your own risk.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyfan68
Isn't it widely suspected that kellysuperheroes is really the scumbag known as Dan Dupcak, one of the great crooks in comics history? Just about every book he sold in the day was color touched and trimmed, overgraded by at least two grades. Used to go by Comic-Keys, then robojo33.

I will say the signnatures look legit but I would be surprised if that book isnt trimmed and doesnt look quite as good once you get it hand. Photos of comics can be very decieving. If you paid by PayPal you're covered but proceed at your own risk.

I'll second this.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Dang I have to really sleep on it knowing this new information...

My threshold of success for this transaction is it coming back at least a 9.0 color touch restored with both sigs verified. At that point I would be satisfied with the book in my personal collection.

Worst case scenario (if I had to file a Paypal dispute), I would get a full refund, but I would be out of about $200 in grading fees and shipping. While $200 is not pocket change, I have made enough profit in my recent comic ventures to risk it.

Either way I decide, I really appreciate you guys looking out for me. You're the best!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Deadpoolica I know that. But I didn't think it would kill a Hulk 181 to the point of only being worth 5-10% of an unrestored book--especially one with slight pro color touch.

Hulk 181 is a common book. It may be valuable, but there are so many out there that paying more that 10% of unrestored value is being ripped off.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:

Hulk 181 is a common book. It may be valuable, but there are so many out there that paying more that 10% of unrestored value is being ripped off.

I could understand if the resto was significant, but what if the resto is slight professional color touch? It's still only worth 10% of an unrestored copy?

I have a 4.5 like this. Would it be worth more if I scraped the color touch off? Would it be worth more if I removed the cover completely?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:

I was checking out sold listings on eBay for Hulk 181 4.5 graded copies. They are selling for around $1,000. You say a restored copy is only worth 10% of that. So only $100 bucks? That's crazy. I've seen raw cover less copies sell for $200. I think you're way off base.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Hulk 181 is one of those books that is an exception to the rule in many cases. Your 4.5 Hulk 181 is not a $100 book.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Darkga Thanks. I was just trying to figure out how D84 came to his 5-10% conclusion. I mean, crap, I paid Gerry Ross $150 for it back in 1988. It was supposed to be near mint, but that was a lie. I was only 13 then and mail ordered it, so I didn't have much of way of rectifying the situation then. All these years later I had it graded only to get kicked in the teeth again by Gerry Ross when the book came back color touched.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a 4.5 like this. Would it be worth more if I scraped the color touch off?

I would pay more for it that way. If its just one little spot, I'd remove it. Professionally, or just different density erasers til its gone. Even if you lose a full point off grade it would still be worth more.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Looking at the notes, I think it would dork it pretty bad if I had the color touch scraped off. It's never been pressed, so that would help some, but man, it would make the book much uglier if someone started scraping it.

Incredible Hulk #181
Marvel11 1974
Variant:
Pedigree:

Certified
White
Restored - Pro - Slight

Signees:
Professional Restoration Includes: Small amount of color touch on cover.

Notes:
color touch on logo & spine edge
spine stress, bottom edge wear & creasing to cover, breaks color
soiling & slight foxing to back cover
Post 38 IP   flag post
Take a blacklight to it? Sounds like it could be just a tic and a bit on the marvel logo, or hell it could be ten 😳. Yeah thatd be ugly.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I did. The blacklight shows up on a few places on the spine and one medium spot on the logo. Scraping the color off the logo would be the worst. I think after scraping all the color touch off and then pressing it, I'd be lucky if was a 2.5.
Post 40 IP   flag post
UPDATE: So I'm ready for the "I told you so" that's coming. I sent the book off for rapid red label, but I get the call that BOTH signatures are unverifiable! Of course I immediately filed an eBay dispute which should get me my money back. However, I'm out $40 for the verification + $30 shipping there + $30 for shipping back for a total of a $100 lesson. Damn eBay is savage though, be careful out there.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Holy hell man. Who was that seller? I'd like to add him to my shitlist. That's some serious shenanigans
Post 42 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah man. Tried to warn you lol
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Holy hell man. Who was that seller? I'd like to add him to my shitlist. That's some serious shenanigans

kellyssuperheroes was the seller FYI
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Yeah man. Tried to warn you lol

I appreciate you and @Homer trying. I had to take the risk though because that would have been my dream book. I would have always regret it if I passed it up.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector FUEGOMUSIC private msg quote post Address this user
Damn put up a link to this DB eBay store so we can be sure to ban our business.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector spideyfan68 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that, I will say the signatures look legit, did they say why they were unverifiable? I'm wondering for Kirby who's been gone for over 20 years if there just isn't enough "experts" to verify his signature.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch! Sorry to hear that man...but $100 loss is better than that massive amount you paid im sure!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
All good man. At least there name is out there now
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
Over 14 years ago, I bought 3 books from this seller (IF it's who some of you believe it to be).

They were 2 ASM #1's and an AF 15. All 3 were touted as unrestored.

The ASM's came back a point less than advertised (8.0-8.5)and were both restored with Color Touch and were trimmed.

The AF 15 was graded a point higher (8.5)but was also CT'd and Trimmed.

There was very minimal ebay protection then ($200 per transaction) so I was on the hook for $23K.

But the sellers business model was to guarantee the resto issue and He returned My money in full.

Nevertheless, the waiting for the dough after having to return the books caused many sleepless nights.

Always assumed that He was betting a small percentage were going to be slabbed and discovered.

And that's how I chose the Board name of Burntboy...
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@burntboy,

h o l y

c o w

!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@burntboy , ouch dog
Post 52 IP   flag post
600902 52 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?