Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Value Restored vs Original for a Major Key?3628

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I'm considering buying a major key (9.8 value over $50,000) that has some disclosed color touch. Hypothetically if this book was a 9.8 with slight color touch, how much would it be worth compared to an all original? 5% of value? 10%? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If you can be specific about the book, I can see about doing some comparison for research.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
If you can be specific about the book, I can see about doing some comparison for research.

I have to keep the book anonymous for now to prevent a forum lurker from swiping it before me. I have GPA (back again) and have done some research on there, but there are not many recent data points on restored versions of the book in question.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know how many forum lurkers have $50k laying around?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Well, let's say it's Amazing Fantasy 15.

I can't find any in that high of a grade, but mid grade copies restored are going for about 25-30% of what an unrestored book in the same grade goes for.

Some sources (other forums, so, opinions not hard numbers) are saying a restored key is worth 50% of the unrestored value.

Personally, I'd be more conservative than that.

But, if I was going to drop that kind of coin, it wouldn't be on a restored book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
So the book is a restored 9.8 with slight color touch. Is the restoration professional or amateur?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
With few data points I would check multiple websites for comparables. In addition for GPA try the following:

1. Heritage Auctions - You have to set up a user ID and password which may involve giving them your e-mail address but can sign up for free. If you look at past auction results chances are they have sold several copies of the key in question in various grades.

2. Comic Link - You can brouse their current listings (fixed price and auction books) including recent sales for free

3. Comic Connect - You can brouse their current listings (fixed price and auction books)

4. Ebay - Check completed listings first, then try current listings

5. My Comic Shop - May not have your key in grade but you never know
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input so far, but to clarify a few things:

@DarthLego The $50,000+ value would be for an unrestored copy in 9.8. I'm asking what would a restored copy be worth in that hypothetical grade.

@00slim Thanks that info is helpful!

@50AE_DE The color touch is supposedly professional

@drchaos I'll look around a little more. Thanks
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Depending on the key as with everything but, considering the value it's a huge key...IMO restoration on a key that old in that grade doesn't hurt the value as much as it would lesser keys just because you're not going to be able to find it in that condition restored or or not. With that said maybe a 10-15% drop if that
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the time period.

As a general rule with slight color touch:

Gold 30%-50%

Silver 15-20%

Anything else 5-10%
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
If the book isn't in a Cgc or cbcs holder I would advise to not purchase the book. The likelihood of additional restoration or shenanigans is high. If it is in a 9.8 grade restored holder paying more than good 2.0 unrestored is risky.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@D84 So would a Hulk 181 graded 4.5 with slight pro color touch on cover sell for 5-10% of a graded 4.5 copy that has no color touch?

How about a 4.5 Hulk 181 missing the MVS with no color touch versus a 4.5 with color touch but has the MVS?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@D84 So would a Hulk 181 graded 4.5 with slight pro color touch on cover sell for 5-10% of a graded 4.5 copy that has no color touch?

How about a 4.5 Hulk 181 missing the MVS with no color touch versus a 4.5 with color touch but has the MVS?

Hulk 181 isn't old enough for that to apply
Post 13 IP   flag post
No risk, no reward! I went ahead and bit the bullet.

Fantastic Four #52
Experienced seller grades it is as a 9.6 OW/W and guarantees no trimming.
The only reason I even considered it though... double autographed Stan Lee and Jack Kirby splash page obtained by the seller himself back in the day! He guaranteed the sigs in writing too (for Paypal dispute purposes).

For the price I paid, I'd do ok if it comes back 9.6 restored even if it wasn't autographed. The autographs (if authentic) knock this deal over the top for me.

As soon as I get it, it's going to CBCS for a red label via rapid so I should get it back very quickly. The goal is to get it back from grading within the 60 day Paypal protection window. As always I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks!

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
If the book isn't in a Cgc or cbcs holder I would advise to not purchase the book. The likelihood of additional restoration or shenanigans is high. If it is in a 9.8 grade restored holder paying more than good 2.0 unrestored is risky.

+1
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Those signatures look legit to me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Kellysuperheroes I order two books from those guys like 3 years ago, I instantly returned them for a full refund. Shenanigans at its highest level.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Any chance of having the Restoration removed first?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Kellysuperheroes I order two books from those guys like 3 years ago, I instantly returned them for a full refund. Shenanigans at its highest level.

Really? What was the book and what problems did you have? I'd like to know your experience. Thanks
Post 19 IP   flag post
photo adjusted pictures, massive over graded, tanning, yet flaws were not visible in scans. A professional comic book hustler.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Same here with the k superheroes. Refund as soon my book got back from grading. He did pay up though so that's on your side
Post 21 IP   flag post
I would give 99+ % that the seller is the one who did the color touching to a low to mid grade copy.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Guaranteed a 9.8 for me also
Post 23 IP   flag post
Hmmm, I haven't paid yet so I could still back out. But then I could go it for since I have Paypal/eBay on my side for 60 days.

The biggest draw for me on the book is the Lee/Kirby sig. I sold a 1990's X-Men #1 reprint CGC 9.2 that was Lee/Kirby signed for $700 last year, and that is a dollar bin book. This is a hot key which has value unto itself even without the sigs.

Tough decision...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:

Really?

So the resto vs non-resto only applies to Silver, Golden, and Platinum Age books?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:

Really?

So the resto vs non-resto only applies to Silver, Golden, and Platinum Age books?

Yeah dude, u want zero resto on anything past silver...it KILLS the value
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Deadpoolica I know that. But I didn't think it would kill a Hulk 181 to the point of only being worth 5-10% of an unrestored book--especially one with slight pro color touch.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Deadpoolica I mean would a cover less 181 sell for more than a complete copy with color touch on the cover?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector spideyfan68 private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't it widely suspected that kellysuperheroes is really the scumbag known as Dan Dupcak, one of the great crooks in comics history? Just about every book he sold in the day was color touched and trimmed, overgraded by at least two grades. Used to go by Comic-Keys, then robojo33.

I will say the signnatures look legit but I would be surprised if that book isnt trimmed and doesnt look quite as good once you get it hand. Photos of comics can be very decieving. If you paid by PayPal you're covered but proceed at your own risk.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyfan68
Isn't it widely suspected that kellysuperheroes is really the scumbag known as Dan Dupcak, one of the great crooks in comics history? Just about every book he sold in the day was color touched and trimmed, overgraded by at least two grades. Used to go by Comic-Keys, then robojo33.

I will say the signnatures look legit but I would be surprised if that book isnt trimmed and doesnt look quite as good once you get it hand. Photos of comics can be very decieving. If you paid by PayPal you're covered but proceed at your own risk.

I'll second this.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?