Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Saturday Morning Shoe Store3623

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
When I was a kid I wanted to impress a girl called Susan... so instead of wearing sneakers one day I wore some leather shoes with tassels to class... bad idea... well, I noticed this might be even worse an idea: I saw the back of one of my books has this ad to have yourself a "Saturday Morning Shoe Store"... I wonder how many kids actually did this (or maybe it was for Dad to see?)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Any other ad's anyone thinks might have been a really weird idea to clip a coupon on?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
The x-ray vision glasses did not work.....
Post 3 IP   flag post
The sea monkeys did work but were creepy....
Post 4 IP   flag post
Did love the army men box, but they did not love me or my sadistic brother....
Post 5 IP   flag post
Some of this stuff is totally un-PC now...I actually remember at some flea market coming across some of these shoes... I am not kidding, they were made out of bulletproof 1/4 inch thick steer hide that was like steel....
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Get rich selling seeds! But I guess that would depend on the type of seeds.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book called "Mail Order Mysteries" that's all about the stuff from the comic ads, with pictures of the actual items.

It doesn't have the shoe store or the seeds, but does have everything else on this thread so far. I spent years wondering about some of that stuff.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

I also bought see monkeys from a comic book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

I also bought see monkeys from a comic book.

I felt bad for them, seemed like kind of a "doomed" existence... but then again.....
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
What was the deal with the X-ray glasses? We're they just cardboard with holes in them....a gimmick to make people think you were checking out their skeletal figure?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
What was the deal with the X-ray glasses? We're they just cardboard with holes in them....a gimmick to make people think you were checking out their skeletal figure?

Strangely enough, there is a feather sandwiched into each "lens" that diffracts the light and creates an offset image.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
But what are we to do if a guy kicks sand in our face at the beach? There's an ad for that...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Strangely enough, there is a feather sandwiched into each "lens" that diffracts the light and creates an offset image.

Didn't remember the feathers, just spirals on the lenses and you couldn't really see through them let alone through anything else. Probably a good thing, might have scarred me for life if I saw through my familys clothes
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
GREAT THREAD!

mm
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes, the glasses have feathers around the rims that make a shadow image smaller than the person... and I think the log cabin and submarine ones are cardboard boxes....
Post 17 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Would like to know more about the 7ft Polaris nuclear sub imo
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
40 year mystery solved: https://misternizz.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/my-obsession-with-acquiring-a-polaris-submarine/

I can't help but drop this meme down upon reading the entire article:

@DarthLego u gotta see this brah
Post 20 IP   flag post
I love that submarine link.. wow! Also find it hard to believe that Doctors researched Lifebuoy soap... but I know the black gag soap was real... I got it and used it on myself and it was a mess... it was a real bar of soap with an obvious hole carved in it with black dyed stuff that came out.
Post 21 IP   flag post
So let's see... the reason why these ad's could promise such bizarre value for a few dollars was because nobody ever believed them enough to buy that stuff... so WHY were they there? Do you think (???) to add filler to the books to make them look more like adult magazines of the time? (And just, JUST in case some kid wrote in, with a few bucks, make sure and have a cardboard submarine (just ONE) on hand? But what kid didn't want this? Go tell Dad and for some reason he isn't concerned, scared or worried... maybe he knew they aren't going to send live grenades to some kid in Dubuque Iowa.. but it DOES say replica, so assume you load a small cap in one end and pull the handle a certain way and when you throw it the cap goes off...
Post 22 IP   flag post
598095 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?