Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeQuestions

Desert Wind Comics ...3589

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Did anyone here ever have business dealings with DWC?

Copy/paste from their Facebook:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

After long thought and consideration, Desert Wind Comics has made the difficult decision to stop accepting submissions for books to be graded by Comic Book Certification Service (CBCS) effective immediately. This decision comes as a result of a difference between DWC and CBCS in business philosophy and practices. We have the utmost respect for Steve and Pam Borock and many other staff members, but we still find a need to go in a different direction and as a result, feel that this decision must be made. While we have chosen to no longer witness signatures for CBCS customers, we will be providing guidance of where to turn to for said service.

Desert Wind Comics will continue to work in the comic collectible industry, as we will be launching new options of service to our customers. Continuing to be a fixture at many of the comic book conventions across the country, you will find that DWC has been providing this service since 2007 and has helped get over 200,000 comic books signed and graded for fans and collectors. You can still submit your treasured comic collectibles to Desert Wind using one of three easy ways. Use our website and mail your books to our office, or stop in at Celestial Comics, our retail store in Las Vegas, or stop by our booth at one of the many conventions we will be at throughout the year. Safe and easy service is what you get with Desert Wind Comics. Through the Desert Wind Enterprises family, Desert Wind Comics and Celestial Comics will continue to provide you opportunity to get your comic book memorabilia signed and graded. Celestial Comics will continue to be a Authorized CGC Dealer and Signature Series Facilitator.

We thank everyone for their continued support and encouragement and we look forward to being your signature and graded book service provider of choice.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious to know what the philosophical differences are.

I, personally, do not find CGC to be all that reputable of a company.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
@orbitcitycomics agreed. I guess it speaks to their own (lack of) moral standing
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard a few horror stories about DWC, I would not do business with them
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Nope, never had dealings with Desert Wind Comics. Never heard of them until this thread, actually.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

Philisophical differences = "Hey CGC just pulled into the driveway with a pickup truck full of cash".
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I wish they'd waited till after SDCC
-__-

Kinda throws a wrench in my plans
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quoted for greatness.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

Philosophical differences = "Hey CGC just pulled into the driveway with a pickup truck full of cash".

Possible.

I'm also wondering if the split was actually initiated by CBCS rather than the other way around.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard some pretty negative feedback about DWC. Look at the facebook comments a lot of people say good riddance. lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I spoke to chandler if it basically came down to the fact CGC has the submission ID already on the forms & CBCS doesn't give you one till the books are turned in. He told me it was creating a hassle to try to deal with.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm also pretty sure my Frank Miller books I had signed through them last year came back with such horrible grades because of their handeling. They also misplaced them & whenever I asked about where the books were in grading they said they didn't have a way to find out as the CBCS forms didn't have the form ID number & were never giv n one, to be now to find th submission. Had I known Trinity was doing a Miller signing sooner I would have felt with Matt instead of DWC.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I guess logging into their online dashboard to look up books was too much hassle for them?
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I've heard some pretty negative feedback about DWC. Look at the facebook comments a lot of people say good riddance. lol

That was me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I've never used DWC and probably never will. I have never meet Steve Borock or Matt Nelson in person. But if I had to make a choice which name I would rather have tied to my graded books it would be Borock. I also find myself leaning more and more towards CBCS. I certainly don't hold it against people or companies who choose to do business with solely one company it is their money and their choice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So what does this company do? You send them books and somehow they get them signed by the artist you want?
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Step 1: You send the books to get signed/witnessed.

Step 2 - Step 999,999: They misplace your book. They lose your book. Your book gets manhandled. Your books is caught between dimensions for two+ years. They can't get information from the cgc. They can't get information from CBCS. Your start a thread on a chat board raising hell about your mangled, ham-handed, or lost book. Your book miraculously shows up. Your book is typically found in some vault because even though you paid upfront, the grading fees haven't been paid.

Step 1,000,000: Your book finally gets returned.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So what does this company do? You send them books and somehow they get them signed by the artist you want?

Pretty much the same thing Trinity does, only not awesome like Trinity.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I guess logging into their online dashboard to look up books was too much hassle for them?

They told me that without the form # they never received they were unable to find the books in the que. think they were trying to tell me that my 4 books would just be a small number in a huge amount of books subbed & therefor would be trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I had trouble with a big submission I made to them for CGC and was afraid they would create problems for the AWP but thankfully that didn't happen and they have left of there own free will. Good riddance I say!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Chandler Rice and his DWC are unprofessional, and a discredit to the comic book industry. It is no loss to CBCS to lose their business.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I need a picture of that guy for to make a meme about how not to be a Jerry, or a Jackwagon.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I need a picture of that guy for to make a meme about how not to be a Jerry, or a Jackwagon.

They have them on their Facebook page
Post 23 IP   flag post
597927 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?