CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Anyone Seen This... Maybe I'm the Last...3443

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWatPQFQrI
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Thats a crazy video but shows how important thay book is to the hobby. Thanks for the post of the video
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Is this an "investment" bid, or an "I want it whatever it costs" bid?

Anyone know who got it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That was one hell of a snipe...he must have been Canadian.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Eh!

I would be scared that in 10 years I would open it and it might crumble or something... wow.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I ahowed my brother and we both asked if it was Nicolas Cage with the winning bid lol but yeah woukd be to afraid to even touch the book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
From the other thread... imagine opening it and tearing it by accident or something.. I assume a person would freeze and mouth would go ajar and paramedics would have to be called...
Post 7 IP   flag post
http://www.cbr.com/action-comics-1-found-in-wall-of-house-sells-for-175000/
Post 8 IP   flag post
The person or persons who bought that book, doesn't worry about a few million bucks.

They would rather NOT lose it. But they won't lose any sleep if they do. I am sure it is insured also.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to see even the "big money" guys ALSO do the last second bidding! Lol
Post 10 IP   flag post

Imagine owning this comic! This is your day:

"Wow, this Starbucks™ Coffee tastes really... er.. wonder if anyone is in my house going near my comic books...ok..time to go to..I'm sure I locked the front door... didn't I? That guy outside in the street yesterday, I saw him the other day too.. oh heck, I'm going home and calling in sick"
Post 11 IP   flag post
... Katy Perry called me for a date... but I had to turn her down to guard my Action Comics #1...
http://comicsalliance.com/nicolas-cage-stolen-action-comics/
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wow that funny turned down Katy Perry lol. Hell I would to guard that book or the Detective Comics 27 at my home lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Just leave it stashed in a pile of reprints, no one will ever know...unless you have comic book friends, then you just need a Liberty safe.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hollywood Scenario: Time Portal opens in front of you... you find yourself transported to downtown Los Angeles, June 1938...there is a newsstand nearby... luckily you brought two silver certificates with you so you grab 20 9.8 Action Comics #1 just as the portal closes and you land on your duff in your living room. You sit on your shag carpeting looking at the books in front of you... " Sounds good ... right?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@keefriffhards they would probably be judged fake because the paper isn't aged. Lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
OMG.. your right...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Maybe put the books in a safty deposit box under your future name and then go open it up present day and well what do i have here lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Maybe put the books in a safty deposit box under your future name and then go open it up present day and well what do i have here lol

Genius
Post 19 IP   flag post
Its the only way to have it aged and well know what the bank deposit will be very safe.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Go to a cool dry place and stuff them away in a steel box in another box and then come back and find there is a parking lot there now...
Post 21 IP   flag post
My wife and I have attended a couple of local "time capsule" openings over the past few years. The last one was in 2012 in a small town called Ripley, Ohio.

Usually stuff like newspaper headlines, coins, photographs (tintypes) and such.

I wonder if any Action Comics #1's are in a time capsule somewhere, waiting for a hundred years to pass.

Here is a story of the last one we attended. Our favorite restaurant is across the street from where this thing was buried since 1912.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/village-opens-time-capsule-finds-window-to-past/3524388
Post 22 IP   flag post
I love time capsules...unfortunately like Action Comics #1 nobody knows the stuff that'll be valuable in 100 years.... or 50...
Post 23 IP   flag post
I don't think they are done for "value". Just for historical purposes.

An interesting thing would be to do some research on time capsules that were buried around 1939 and 1940. One of them just might have an Action #1 or Tec. #27 there, because of Superman and Batman. They were kind of popular even back then.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I agree... I bet there is a time capsule out there with a DC Comic in it...
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I agree... I bet there is a time capsule out there with a DC Comic in it...

Yep, but it'll turn out to be an Aqualad comic.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Ha... I was thinking the same thing... or a Captain America Jr....
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
One of them just might have an Action #1 or Tec. #27 there, because of Superman and Batman. They were kind of popular even back then.

Well, they completely changed the entire comic book industry. They sold tremendously well.

The interesting thing about time capsules is, it turns out, it's very difficult to remember them. They get "lost" or forgotten all the time.

Think about it. Imagine you want to create a time capsule, and you need to set up a system to tell ... someone, anyone, about it, one hundred years from now. (Or two hundred, or a thousand.) It's not an easy problem to solve. And during the "time capsule" craze, a LOT of people (towns, cities, whatever) didn't think about it at all.

Maybe the best idea is to find buildings that were built in 1938, 39, 40. A lot of times the cornerstone is also a time-capsule, and one that is likely to be quickly forgotten.
Post 28 IP   flag post
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/04/27/61-years-later-community-hospital-east-opens-time-capsule/83553724/
Post 29 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I watched that auction back then and it was crazy. The one Action Comics #1 was bought for $87k at an auction and sold it to Nicholas for somewhere $250k+ by one of the dealers near me. And then Nicholas sold it later for about $2.5 mil because Nick wasn't making that great movies after.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?