Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

That hurt. =(3418

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I do pretty good buying PGX books for cheap on ebay, pressing them and then sending to CGC/CBCS.

Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@vabchgent nice theory, but not practical in reality. Grades don't just rely on cover condition, every single page must be inspected. A scanner can't do this without human interaction. And since a human must interact anyway, what's the financial incentive to develope a multi million dollar artificial intelligence scanning system?
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I once worked on a PGX TMNT #1 that the customer wanted cracked out and sent to CGC. Came back an 8.0. Sent it back to PGX with the old label. Back to a 9.6 without an argument.

Will never buy any of their books. Even feel dirty when I work on them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I once worked on a PGX TMNT #1 that the customer wanted cracked out and sent to CGC. Came back an 8.0. Sent it back to PGX with the old label. Back to a 9.6 without an argument.

You work on raw books. Not PGX books.

It's like a baseball player that is the hero of your team, and then next year is the hero of your rival team.

He's just a ballplayer and these are just comics.

But I understand your point. PGX bad. CGC good. CBCS gooder?
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

It's like a baseball player that is the hero of your team, and then next year is the hero of your rival team.

True, but the book, once at PGX, has been flagged.

Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I've had success going both ways, some have gotten better grades, some have gotten worse and some have come back the same. My best was an Avengers #6 PGX 9.0 that came back CGC 9.4 after press. Worse, a Tales of Suspense #59 that was PGX 7.5 that came back CBCS 6.5 after press. After tallying up all the PGX books I've done that to, the average is 0.5 grade bump across both CBCS and CGC.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam not really a fair comparison of just how off PGX is when you CPR. Without pressing would you say drops across the board?
Post 32 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics I see what you did there.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Foghorn_Sam not really a fair comparison of just how off PGX is when you CPR. Without pressing would you say drops across the board?

Yes, doing a clean/press kind of corrupts the results, but I'm not going to crack out a book without subjecting it to the possibility of doing that. To do otherwise is just not cost effective. I'm just comparing my results to that of the original poster who has done the same.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam it does provide evidence that CPR with PGX can be a successful venture, it the initial price is right, and you have a good eye.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
I have been sending some of my PGX books in to CBCS for regrading. I had one book come back at a lower grade, but I had one book come back from CBCS that was a full grade higher. And it wasn't pressed. That book was a Strange Tales 111. PGX graded it at a lower grade than I thought the book would be, so I was pretty happy that CBCS graded it one grade higher.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
I had a House of Mystery #1 at CGC 4.5 and a Black Terror #11 at CGC 6.5 - unfortunately I broke both cases but the books appeared undamaged. Sent them to CBCS for grading - no pressing as it didn't look like that would help. They came back as HOM #1 at 4.0 and the BT #11 at 5.5 so half grade and full grade drop on the books. Oh well...
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

True, but the book, once at PGX, has been flagged.

What does flagged mean? Also, is it flagged by you, PGX, or some other grading company?
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Towmater That's a joke from that episode of Seinfeld. George had the booked flagged because he took it into the restroom, they made him buy it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector usmcdog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG
I have been sending some of my PGX books in to CBCS for regrading. I had one book come back at a lower grade, but I had one book come back from CBCS that was a full grade higher. And it wasn't pressed. That book was a Strange Tales 111. PGX graded it at a lower grade than I thought the book would be, so I was pretty happy that CBCS graded it one grade higher.

Ok new to this, so what does pressing mean or do in this case?
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It presses out smaller defects like non color breaking creases and dings.

It helps with eye appeal & can bump a book up a grade.
Post 41 IP   flag post
So what is used to press it? Just household items or an actual press? I think I got the idea of what you mean by creases, I have a few but no damage to the art work. Some of these cardboard backings don't seem to work so well. May be the way they sat in the box.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@usmcdog discussing how to press is a forbidden topic on the forum.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@usmcdog E Gerber Fullbacks are the best backing boards, regular boards are too flimsy.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Also, sorry not allowed to post the before and after pic of my original topic. So just gotta use your imagination
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Damn I think they would make an exception for a PGX pic when its being re-slabbed to CBCS, no?
Post 46 IP   flag post
Nope, was told already by mod.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa @shrewbeer Say what we are not allowed to post PGX books here?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchgent
@KingNampa @shrewbeer Say what we are not allowed to post PGX books here?

Correct, PGX slabs are forbidden.
Post 49 IP   flag post
@KingNampa you didn't take any raw pics post crack?

(that had better make the ooc thread. lol)
Post 50 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I got raw pics. I just thought nobody cares anymore. I agree with the CBCS grade of 6.5, I was just hoping for 7.0-7.5. I didn't see the smudge/fingerprints. I don't have a black light to check.

The Delivery I got today, got my FF 45 back at 5.5. Was originally 7.5 by peegee😯
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Those numbers are just stupid. Is PGX adding "grade books higher" to their business model thinking it'll get more customers? Wth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I don't have a black light to check

Check out this tool
Post 52 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - darn, mine's not illuminated!

Post 53 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer @DarthLego

Well I can't be sad too much, got probably the greatest Pancake back since I started pancaking.

Got this a year ago for $400. I'd say now it's worth $1200+.
Gotta love them pancakes. Shout out to Hero Restoration for this recipe.

BEFORE

AFTER

Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@usmcdog discussing how to press is a forbidden topic on the forum.[/quote

Ah sorry, didn't know. Now I do.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601329 58 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?