Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

That hurt. =(3418

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just got some comics shipped to me from CBCS. Looked up the notes Had a Silver Surfer PGX 8.0 I got off ebay. Had it pressed/cleaned and sent to CBCS. Wow, what a bummer. =**(

I paid Around 7.0 value for it, cause I assume it would drop a grade. But actually Dropped to 6.5. Watch out for those PGX grades ladies and gentlemen.

Silver Surfer #1
Marvel8 1968
Variant:
Pedigree:

Certified
Off-White/White

Notes:
many fingerprints & finger smudges to cover & interior back cover
spine wear & stress breaks color
several light surface stains & minor foxing to cover
edge & corner wear & creasing, some breaks color
tiny tears & staining middle left edge back cover
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! A PGX 8.0 dropped to a 6.5 after pressing. That's brutal.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man sorry dude

I have a few pgx books myself and scared to submit to cbcs
Post 3 IP   flag post
PGX=💔
Post 4 IP   flag post
=*( Ya. I'll get over it but it sucks. Lost about $150 after all said and done value wise. I'll upload pics when I get it on Thursday.

The good news was I submitted a Defenders #1 9.0 PGX (Pressed it) and came back CBCS 9.0. Whew!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Oh man sorry dude

I wouldn't hesitate, hopefully you bought the book based on appearance and not the grade they gave it. Sometimes they get it right by sheer luck.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Wait. There were still fingerprints after cleaning?

Man, I gotta get better about wearing gloves when handling books. I do it with the $300+ books, but not so much with the sub $100 ones. I figured they would be removed with cleaning.

I've learned something.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@00slim it depends, sometimes they can be cleaned.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@00slim @DarthLego I cracked it from the PGX case wearing gloves. Took several pictures of the interior. When I get home will have to go look at those pictures. I always expect PGX to drop 1 grade, or break even if I'm lucky. Just got the short end of the stick this time.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I assumed it was the original owner.

It'll be interesting to see what you find in the pics.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Wait. There were still fingerprints after cleaning?

If someone read it after eating a greasy hamburger, those prints are forever lol

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Oh man sorry dude

I wouldn't hesitate, hopefully you bought the book based on appearance and not the grade they gave it. Sometimes they get it right by sheer luck.

Yea the book is beautiful looking but i expect it to come back a grade lower
Post 12 IP   flag post
Some burgers are worth remembering, but at the expense of a Silver Age gem?

For shame.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
They must've used a blacklight.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have an X-men #3 that's a PGX 5.5. Sent it to CFP. Hoping for the best like a 5.0. We'll see. Sorry for the grade drop. Some of the retailers in my area won't even put PGX slabs on display because of that.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Damn bruh, that's a harsh drop. PGX got you good. Sorry for your loss
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't know if this is related but bought that one from all_things_comics on ebay. They have been know to be a shady seller. Was my first purchase from them.

Title was "Silver Surfer #1 Vol 1 PGX 8.0 High Grade Unrestored Origin of the Surfer 1968"
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Simple solution: Send it to PGX again, with their old label, and tell them you had it cleaned and pressed.

Probably come back 8.5
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Simple solution: Send it to PGX again and tell them you had it cleaned and pressed.

Probably come back 8.5

Lol, probably. The reason I re-submitted it I was worried it was trimmed or restored because I bought it from all_things_comics and I heard stories about that seller working with PGX. So I wanted peace of mind. It did come back unrestored.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Since jumping in on graded comics, I have yet to purchase PGX.....BUT.....

With all the comments I've seen, I now think I have enough ammo to purchase widely and hopefully be profitable in doing so.

Thanks CBCS community.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
PGX/CBCS/CGC all have variances, does not matter . Look it up on the web. I was reading one about a Batman #1 , I think it went between 9.2 and 9.6 - between the 3 of them. I think, If some could really afford the test. I think send to 1 crack open case send to the next and so on two times, see what the results are if they are consistent or all over the place. I think the graders(any of them) have good and bad days, Like a how did I miss that moment. If they wanted the trust of the community , it should be the same all the time across the board. But Human error is the main factor and probably why they would grade differently most of the time.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Well we are trying to keep track of documented CGC to CBCS cross grades in that one thread. I think this will be valuable data going forward. So far I'm 3 for 3 keeping same grade.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
There should be a computer program that scans the book first, then give its opinion. Then a human grader goes back and checks the book to make sure it meets the same grade as a safety check. Just like the software that they use to check a signature has checks and balances. Same principals could be applied to the grading process. I know seems far out and futuristic, but would keep it consistent.
Post 23 IP   flag post
As I understand it, they have 3 different people give an independent grade and then they compare notes.

If they aren't in agreement, they get yet another opinion.

My gut tells me GPX is simply not as thorough.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I do pretty good buying PGX books for cheap on ebay, pressing them and then sending to CGC/CBCS. I can usually retain the same grade or close to it (not this time though). It is a risk but the savings $$$ are there. You can get key issues in PGX for much cheaper.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I do pretty good buying PGX books for cheap on ebay, pressing them and then sending to CGC/CBCS.

Post 26 IP   flag post
@vabchgent nice theory, but not practical in reality. Grades don't just rely on cover condition, every single page must be inspected. A scanner can't do this without human interaction. And since a human must interact anyway, what's the financial incentive to develope a multi million dollar artificial intelligence scanning system?
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I once worked on a PGX TMNT #1 that the customer wanted cracked out and sent to CGC. Came back an 8.0. Sent it back to PGX with the old label. Back to a 9.6 without an argument.

Will never buy any of their books. Even feel dirty when I work on them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I once worked on a PGX TMNT #1 that the customer wanted cracked out and sent to CGC. Came back an 8.0. Sent it back to PGX with the old label. Back to a 9.6 without an argument.

You work on raw books. Not PGX books.

It's like a baseball player that is the hero of your team, and then next year is the hero of your rival team.

He's just a ballplayer and these are just comics.

But I understand your point. PGX bad. CGC good. CBCS gooder?
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

You work on raw books. Not PGX books.

It's like a baseball player that is the hero of your team, and then next year is the hero of your rival team.

He's just a ballplayer and these are just comics.

But I understand your point. PGX bad. CGC good. CBCS gooder?

True, but the book, once at PGX, has been flagged.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600892 58 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?