Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Captain America Run(The Long & Winding Road)3415

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Captain America #180

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Mike Esposito. First appearance and origin of Nomad (Steve Rogers) in "The Coming of the Nomad!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta; Steve Rogers creates the new costumed identity of Nomad for himself; Madame Hydra kills the original Viper taking his name and his costume and reforms the Serpent Squad; Nomad is unable to stop the Squad from kidnapping the president of Roxxon; Krang is revealed as Viper's partner in the reformation of the Serpent Squad; The Falcon encounters Roscoe who is looking for Steve Rogers to train him as the new Captain America. The letters page has Marvel Value Stamp series A #61 (The Red Ghost).

WHAT IS THIS!?.... Im missing this Issue! Say it ain't so!

Ive had a few opportunities to acquire the book, as I don't believe it to be all that rare. While it is considered to be a Key book, but I always felt it was kind of a bogus 1st appearance of Nomad.
While technically it is, but its just Cap in disguise. I just haven't been willing to lay down the money for a book I feel is over priced. I know I will have to break down a bite the bullet at some point.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Captain America #181

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Joe Sinnott. Intro and origin of the new Cap (Roscoe) in "The Mark of Madness!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta; Nomad fights the Serpent Squad and Krang, under the thrall of the Serpent Crown, to stop them from using a Roxxon oil platform to raise Lemuria to the surface. Roscoe becomes Captain America; Nick Fury cameo. Letter to the editor from comics writer Mark Gruenwald. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A #46 (Mysterio).

Now that's how you do a kick ass cover! It doesn't even matter that it's not Steve Rogers, Gil Kane and Joe Sinnott just killed it on that cover!

This was a book I cracked out of a CGC 9.2 slab. I felt the book was most certainly under graded.

Let's stop here for now and just admire that Gil Kane cover for awhile longer
Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain America #182

Roscoe continues as the new Captain America in "Inferno!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Joe Giella. Red Skull cameo. Letter to the editor from comics publisher Dean Mullaney. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A # 36 (Ancient One from Doctor Strange by Steve Ditko). Ron Wilson/Frank Giacoia cover

Ron Wilson turns in another fine cover that conveys the storyline. Ive always praised the Steve Englehart run on the title, but the whole Cap quitting only to reappear in a different costume as "Nomad" really didn't engross me into the storyline. Maybe that is partially the reason I have yet to obtain Issue #180. I just don't believe the whole Cap as Nomad is all that Key of a book.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Captain America #183

Death of the new Cap (Roscoe); Nomad (Steve Rogers) becomes Cap again in "Nomad: No More!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Frank Giacoia. Gil Kane/Joe Sinnott cover

Thankfully the whole "Cap/Nomad" storyline comes to a welcome end here in this issue. Also coming to an unfortunate end is Sal Buscema's long run as the regular artist on the cap title, although he does contribute on some cover art, as well as some fill in work.

Not all is negative here on this issue, Roscoe goes bye bye and his fate is forever captured by the great Gil Kane and Joe Sinnott.

This issue I believe also marks a turning point on the Captain America Title. King Kirby is Coming!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Captain America #184

The real Captain America is back in action in "Cap's Back!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Herb Trimpe, inks by Frank Giacoia and Mike Esposito. Letter to the editor from comics publisher Dean Mullaney. Gil Kane/John Romita Sr. cover

The whole Steve Rogers quitting and becoming Nomad with a disappointing storyline for me. But NOW CAP is BACK!, and so is the Red Skull! Things start to get shook up a bit with the creative team as Frank Giacoia inks the legendary Herb Trimpe pencils. Englehart gets back to the basics with a great Red Skull story line over the next few issues. The cherry on the top is added by yet another classic action packed cover from the master, Gil Kane, this time aided by the talents of John Romita!

Let us again pause a moment to admire that awesome Cap Cover....
Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This really is a cool thread, keep it up 🍺

Diggin the commentary as well as the books. Had to skip some, but will find the time to read it all at some point.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Captain America #185

The Red Skull returns to cause more trouble in "Scream the Scarlet Skull!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema (pages 1 and 2) and Frank Robbins (pages 3-18), inks by Frank Giacoia. Letter to the editor from comics editor Ralph Macchio. Gil Kane/Giacoia cover

A gorgeous High grade Book that I was thrilled to add to the run! Again with a Beautiful Gil Kane Cover.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Captain America #186

YIKES!!!!! The only other Im missing!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
186 sold it not long ago 9.2 Oregon of Folcon. Good book
Post 59 IP   flag post
A 9.2 would have been right up my alley! I will eventually find the one for me.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Captain America #187

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by John Romita. "The Madness Maze!", script by John Warner, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Frank Chiaramonte; Captain America, Gabe, and Peggy gather around a knocked out Falcon; Cap gets whisked away by a mysterious flying craft and deposited in a giant maze;. A loud voice welcomes Cap to the Madness Maze, telling him that when he reaches the center of the maze he'll die; As he moves through the maze a trio of artificial creatures attacks. Hostess snack cakes ad with Captain Marvel.

Another Great Gil Kane Cover! Cap sure has found his way into one hell of a Dog pile! A very nice book and I would have graded it a bit higher if not for the slightly off centered cover.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Captain America #188

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Mike Esposito. "Druid-War," script by John Warner, pencils by Sal Buscema (breakdowns), inks by Vinne Colletta (finished art); Captain America battles Alchemoid while Druid and his minions watch; Sam Wilson hallucinates in a SHIELD hospital; Shield brings in Leila Taylor for questioning, much to Gabe and Peggy's bewilderment; Cap figures out that the large geometric shapes surrounding the battleground are powering Alchemoid; Druid attacks with his alchemy cylinders but Cap battles back. Hostess snack cakes ad with Captain Marvel

Post 62 IP   flag post
Captain America #189

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Mike Esposito. "Arena For A Fallen Hero!", script by Tony Isabella, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Frank Chiaramonte; The Falcon recovers from his coma with his original "Snap" Wilson persona intact; Captain America battles illusions of villains from his past created by Deadly Nightshade; Cameos by the Red Skull, Enchantress, Executioner, Radioactive Man, and Baron Zemo (hallucinations). Letter to the editor from comics historian Peter Sanderson. Goodbye note from Steve Englehart

Issue #186 Brang to an end Steve Englehart's Legendary Run on the Captain America Title. This Issue features his Goodbye note. Thanks for all the Great stories Steve!

The beautiful Issue I acquired here Features another action Packed Gil Kane Cover with a Tony Isabella Storyline.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Captain America #190

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Joe Sinnott. "Nightshade Is Deadlier the Second Time Around!", script by Tony Isabella, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Vince Colletta; Captain America and the Falcon battle Deadly Nightshade who has taken control of all the male SHIELD agents in order to conquer America; The Falcon regains his Sam Wilson persona and memories while retaining his original persona and memories; Yellow Claw and Nick Fury cameos

The gorgeous Gil Kane Cover,Joe Sinnott Cover takes on a whole another level of beauty when you can find them in beautiful high grade condition like this.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Captain America #191

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia. "The Trial of The Falcon!", script by Tony Isabella (plot) and Bill Mantlo (script), pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by D. Bruce Berry; The Falcon faces criminal charges in Los Angeles for various mob-related crimes (including the sale of narcotics) from six years earlier; Sam's former mob boss sends the Stilt-Man to kill the Falcon before he can testify at the trial; The Falcon and Captain America defeat the Stilt-Man. Sam is found guilty of the charges but is given a suspended sentenced and released on parole under supervision of Nick Fury

Sal Buscema returns for an action packed cover!
Post 65 IP   flag post
601336 65 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?