Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Captain America Run(The Long & Winding Road)3415

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
It's been a long time coming (years actually), But Im to the point where I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel on my Captain America Run.

Im down to needing only 5 Issue's

#180, #186, #290, #292, #310

Obviously Any Cap run has to start with #100, Which is where Cap finally got his Very own Title from Marvel. I really like the Blue Numbered CBCS label much better than the new label

Next Up #101 and More Jack Kirby Magic with the Red Skull and the SLEEPER!

My Goal with many of these earlier Issues was to stay in the 8.0 VFN+ or better grades with straight covers, I absolutely hate miswraps. So I was excited to add this super nice #102..... Again Jack Kirby MAGIC!

Gotta Run for now, But I will continue the run in its entirety.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely LOVE this!! I've stalled on completing my run. I'm about 15 away from completion. I wasn't very fussy on the grades and I know I have some that are in the 3.5-4.0 range, but all of them have complete and attached covers. Good job on that 102!! I don't mind minor miswraps, but what gets me is when the top is cut and you only get a partial CCA stamp or title bar (in the later issues). I figure I can upgrade once I complete the run. I look forward to seeing this!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats!! Those last 5 issues should be pretty easy to get. I still have about 20 issues to complete my run.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll check to see if I have those 5 issues
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
That's a nice 8.5 issue 100. Congrats!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the kind words Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Absolutely LOVE this!! I've stalled on completing my run. I'm about 15 away from completion. I wasn't very fussy on the grades and I know I have some that are in the 3.5-4.0 range, but all of them have complete and attached covers. Good job on that 102!! I don't mind minor miswraps, but what gets me is when the top is cut and you only get a partial CCA stamp or title bar (in the later issues). I figure I can upgrade once I complete the run. I look forward to seeing this!!

JesseO
Much agreed on the miscut tops. Very unattractive they are. Back in the day Cap was always on my monthly buy list,I strayed away from comics in the late 70's Early 80's. I eventually found my way back into the hobby in 1985. So I already had a pretty good run on Cap when I decided a few years ago to go for the completion. ALL it took was time and Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
Congrats!! Those last 5 issues should be pretty easy to get. I still have about 20 issues to complete my run.

Hexigore
Im pretty OCD when it comes to the books. Ive had chances at all of them at one point or another.

#180 is the 1st appearance of Steve Rogers as the new Nomad. To me that's not a KEY issue, but sellers always tout it as one. To me the book has always been over hype and Overpriced. Especially in the higher grades Im chasing.

#186 I always love the Gil Kane Covers! I guess I just haven't found the right book yet.

#290 I actually took a chance on a "9.4" Book, Unfortunately it was not even close to that grade. I just couldn't allow the book in my run.

#292 I Love the J.M. DeMatteis and Paul Neary Team! Again I just haven't found the perfect high grade book Im looking for.

#310 1st appearance of Diamondback and this one is actually getting kind of pricey. This book always seems to fall prey to "Waviness" and I just hate that. If I could find a nice slabbed 9.4-9.6 to crack out I would do so if the price was right.

I do currently have 15-16 books on my Upgrade list

I also need a few more of the Annuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWiz
That's a nice 8.5 issue 100. Congrats!

GeeWiz
Thanks for the kind words on the Cap #100. I can't tell you how many I looked at before deciding on that issue. 9.2's and higher were out of my price range. I had a shot at a 9.0, but it had a slight miswrap cover and was not even close to the eye appeal on the 8.5 I choose.

Happy Fourth Guys!
Post 6 IP   flag post
OK lets move on to Issue #103 in which Cap goes on a date with Agent 13 and learns that her name is Sharon Carter.

MORE awesome Jack Kirby Red Skull!

Next up #104

I NEVER get enough Jack Kirby!
Red Skull tells Shield he has placed nuclear tape on the back of Captain America's neck; He warns that anyone who tries to remove the special tape would activate the timer on a bomb planted in Washington D.C. by one of the Skull's spies

I acquired this beautiful book from an Ebay seller that I came to trust very much. Price was a bit steep, but I trusted the seller and had to have the book.

Gotta run my son to Boy Scouts, so I'll have to go for now.

Happy 4th of July!
John
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
It's been a long time coming (years actually), But Im to the point where I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel on my Captain America Run.

quote]

I'm like Wal-Mart. One stop shopping. I have duplicates of 290 and 292.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

quote]

I'm like Wal-Mart. One stop shopping. I have duplicates of 290 and 292.

290 & 292 I would be looking for solid 9.4 - 9.6 or better. Can't see 292 too well, but 290 appears to have a bit too many spine tics.

310 is a Miswrap cover

What About the 180 and 186 issues? I'd be looking for 9.0 - 9.2 on those. Please feel free to PM me with more detailed pics if you feel any of the books might met my needs.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond with the books.

John
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain America #105

A television crew invites Captain America to go over some old footage of his battles during World War II; Batroc the Leaper hires the Swordsman and the Living Laser to help him commit crime.

More Jack Kirby Goodness! Just a Super Beautiful Book! Its amazing how the old pros Like Kirby, Gil Kane, Romita and others, were able create such depth with their color schemes almost 50 years ago. The inks by Dan Adkins and Romita are worth their weight in GOLD! And they did it without the aid of all the fancy modern day technology.

Captain America #106

Costumed Asian spies attack SHIELD headquarters and steal the plans for the latest prototype model of the Life Model Decoy for what they call Operation: Replica, which Chairman Mao oversees; Captain America tries to stop them!

More Outstanding Jack Kirby, with beautiful inks by one of the all-time greats Frank Giacoia, his ink work on Kirby's art is really a thing of beauty.

Captain America #107

Captain American keeps dreaming that hes being chased by demonic looking Nazi soldiers; Cap comes across the grave of his old sidekick Bucky Barnes; Cap calls his psychiatrist Dr. Faustus (his 1st Appearance) to tell him that he keeps having the same dream; The climax is a good old fashion battle with Cap and the Evil Dr. Faustus

Just more Amazing Jack Kirby/Frank Giacoia on this classic cover. Cap in all his anguish in the fore ground and all of his past surrounding him in the background. Just a beautiful book that Im super happy to have in my run! I also like the way that the Red Skull is represented in the past Background, but the beam from his laser seems to be transforming him into future problems for Cap as well.

Captain America #108

A SHIELD agent asks Captain America to help with a mission; Cap refuses at first, but then the agent tells him it involves rescuing Sharon Carter; Unknown to Captain America, Sharon is the prisoner of the Trapster, who is trying to get information out of her regarding Project Fireball; Cap has to put a beat down on the Trapster. Cap has taken a liken to Sharon Carter, so its probably not in your best interest to be messing with her.

Just look at the deep purple and the way the Yellow just says .... BAMMMMMMMM! Kirby's style was just so unique and it still stands the test of time.

Captain America #109

Captain America tells Nick Fury his origin, and about how guilty he is over Buckys death; During WWII, Steve Rogers applied for the military, but couldnt pass the physical; He enters a program and is given super soldier formula, which makes him bigger and stronger and he goes on to battle the Nazi's

Another Jack Kirby Classic, but I never cared for the News paper back ground. With Cap's Origin being retold from his perspective, it is one of the first big Key books I had to deal with. Like many of the books in the run, I spent countless time searching for just the right issue. I was all but ready to lay down my money on a cgc 9.0, when I stumbled across this beauty of a book! It didn't come cheap, but Im super happy to have been able to pull a deal to add it to my run.

Captain America #110

Cap runs across the Hulk on a rampage in NYC; The Hulk escapes and Cap vows Rick must never put himself in danger until the monster can be tamed. Back at Avengers Mansion Rick finds Bucky Barnes' old uniform, and rejects Cap's protests against wearing it; After putting him off for years, Cap finally accepts Rick officially as his new partner; Almost immediately they uncover a plot by HYDRA to contaminate the city's water supply. After a series of battles the HYDRA goons are driven off, and Cap tells Rick he survived his "baptism of fire" like a man; This issue also includes the First appearance of Madame Hydra

The Jim Steranko, Joe Sinnott cover along is worth the price of admission! I mean just look at that Hulk Cover, and with the 1st appearance of Madame Hydra it is a Super Key Cap Book! While I was content to find some of these Early Cap issue in a solid 8.0, 8.5...... There was just something about this issue and that dynamic Hulk cover. I just had to have a nice high grade copy of the book. I must have looked at what seems like 100's of copies of this book.
It's funny how sometimes instead of you finding the book..... It finds YOU! Obviously I had to lay down a little bit of coin for the book, but so what I can always make some more money.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain America #111

Cap is ambushed by HYDRA assassins at the command of Madame Hydra; The mission fails and later Rick Jones joins Cap in a training session; Alone, Rick picks up a message meant for Cap that causes him to hallucinate; Abducted by Hydra Cap searches for Rick and is attacked by a Hydra robot; Rick escapes & tries to warn Cap, who realizes he could make a good partner; Cap appears to leap from a rooftop into the river through a barrage of HYDRA gunfire; The police only find his costume and a mask with the facial features of Steve Rogers, suggesting "Rogers" was a fake identity.

Like Issue #110, the early Jim Steranko Issues are very popular Cap issue's. The White Cover also made it a bit more difficult to find in a the higher grade I was seeking. I eventually opted for the eye appeal on this 8.5.

Captain America #112

Hydra attacks at a carnival, Captain Americas uniform, riddled with bullets, convinces everyone that Cap is dead; At Avengers Mansion, Iron Man prepares a statement saying Cap is dead; Reminiscing on Captain America's heroic feats during World War II, Iron Man recalls how Cap and Bucky battles the Red Skull, including a story in which Cap and Bucky ruined the Red Skulls plot to use a giant power drill; He also recalls Cap clashes with such villains as the Butterfly, the original Circus of Crime, the Unholy Legion of Beggars, White Death, the Toadman, and Baron Zemo.

This was one of the first books I purchased when I decided to make the push to complete the Captain America Run. While I looked at plenty of copies of the book, including some 9.0's and 9.2's, After weighing my option, Dollar for Dollar the 8.0 I choose had the best eye appeal to me. Im very happy with the book.

A classic Jack Kirby, in which he was rumored to have done the art for this issue in a single 24 hour marathon!

Captain America #113

The news reports Cap's death and explains that "Steve Rogers" was a fake identity while Madame Hydra has Cap's HYDRA file burned; A flashback reveals how she replaced Baron Strucker as head of the organization; The Avengers, Nick Fury, Sharon Carter and several SHIELD agents hold a wake but are suddenly gassed by HYDRA; Rick follows to the cemetery and is almost caught, but Cap unexpectedly appears on a motorcycle, very much alive!; A battle follows, ending when a set of missiles miss their target and kill Madame Hydra; Cap reveals he faked his death in order to retain his secret identity.

Another popular Early Jim Steranko issue. It can get kind of pricy in the higher grades. I felt extremely lucky to have landed this one at a decent price.

Captain America #114

After convincing the American public that Steve Rogers was a fake identity, Captain American walks around in Manhattan, contemplating on what to do with his life; He realizes he is more Cap than Steve, and decides to make a more normal life for himself instead of being an Avenger; Even so, Captain America and Rick Jones rescue Sharon Carter; The Red Skull shows Captain America that he has recovered the Cosmic Cube

I had some trouble finding an acceptable copy of this book. It seemed they were all off centered miswraps. This was Romita Sr's first full stint on the title, so I was wanting a higher grade book. Even the one I eventually choose didn't have a perfect centered cover. I never cared for the "Floating Heads" cover. I always preferred a full action scence cover.

Captain America #115

With the Cosmic Cube in his possession, the Red Skull confronts Captain America; Back at SHIELD headquarters, Rick Jones searches for Captain America and asks Sharon Carter if she has seen him; Although she is testing a new SHIELD weapon, Sharon tells Rick that he hasn't seen Captain America since she rejected his request that she leave SHIELD; Rick contacts his old gang of Ham radio enthusiasts, the Teen Brigade, and asks them all to out for Captain America and report back if they see him; Meanwhile, the Red Skull continues using the Cosmic Cube in ways to drive Captain America insane, hurtling him from this realm to different worlds and shrinking him down in size!

No Floating Heads here! A beautiful cover by Marie Severin & Frank Giacoia, who's ink work is again outstanding. I also very much enjoy the interior art work by the two hardest working artist of the time John and Sal Buscema. Romita Sr did some retouch work on a couple panels on page 12. It also happens to be the last 12 cent cover price. I picked up this very nice copy a couple years ago for really reasonable price. It looks like their getting a bit pricer now days.

Captain America #116

The Red Skull is still in Cap's body and transports Captain America outside a government testing lab, where he's shot at; Red Skull is disgusted that people admire him since they think he is Captain America, wondering why he doesnt lord it over the people who worship him; Cap, in the Red Skulls body, gets in a high speed chase with the police and then battles the Avengers; The Red Skull uses the Cosmic Cube make Sharon Carter try to kill Captain America. The Black Panther appears on the cover but is not in the story

As well as being the first .15 cent cover, This issue is also Gene Colan's first full stint on the title, so I was wanting a nice clean copy. Again the white cover can be somewhat harder to unearth. I almost bought a CGC 9.0, that I was going to crack out. I eventually went with the great eye appeal of the 8.5 and was very happy with the book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Captain America #117

With the Red Skull previously having switched bodies with Captain America, the Skull uses the Cosmic Cube to send Cap to the tropical island home of the Exiles; There Cap encounters a falconer from Harlem who had been hired by the Exiles but who is now attempting to help the island natives kick the Exiles from their home; Cap joins forces with the falconer who, with Cap's urging, dons a costume and takes the name the Falcon

More Great work from Gene Colan and John Romita! The Falcon is a significant part of Cap's history so his first appearance and origin are Very Key Books. I really wanted to stay in the 8.0 - 8.5 or better range on the earlier books. Most of the 8.0's I looked at were off centered so I couldn't justify spending 8.0 Money on a off centered book that I didn't feel had as nice of Eye appeal as the 7.5 I opted for. Besides that the cover just didn't appeal to me as much as other Cap Covers.

Captain America #118

Captain America and the Falcon battle the Exiles, who are unaware that their former leader has used the Cosmic Cube to switch bodies with Cap; Rick Jones gives up the identity of Bucky; The Red Skull prepares for a battle with Cap!

I felt the Gene Colan and John Romita Cover featuring the second Falcon Appearance was much more desirable looking than Issue #117. The watchful eye of Cap in the background as the Falcon proves his worth in battle with the Exiles is much better. I also thought the Green Falcon costume was quite unappealing, Luckily it would be changed in the future.

Captain America #119

The dramatic conclusion to the story that began back in issue 115, The Red Skull uses the Cosmic Cube to change bodies back with Captain America; Falcon realizes the man who he has been working with is Captain America; The Skull uses the Cube to toy with Cap and the Falcon during their battle; Elsewhere, MODOK activates his newly-created Catholite Block to disrupt the power of the Cosmic Cube; The Red Skull uses the remaining power of the Cube to disappear

This beautiful Gene Colan Cover with Joe Sinnott inks is more to my liking. The Previous two covers for whatever rason Featured the "Captain America" lettering in a Solid Yellow Lettering. The Red,White & Blue lettering is much more profound and eye appealing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain America #120

Captain America and the Falcon have returned to America after their battle with the Red Skull; Cap tells Nick Fury he wants to speak with Sharon Carter; Nick Fury implants in Steve Rogers mind the want to apply for a physical education teacher position at Manning University; Cap helps SHIELD stop AIM from kidnapping a college professor.

More Stan Lee, Gene Colan and Joe Sinnott Marvel Magic!

Captain America #121

Silas X. Cragg obsesses over Captain America, thinking he sees the hero wherever he goes; He researches Cap, vowing to destroy him; Cragg formulates a super soldier serum with the intent of making someone stronger than Cap, creating a being named Man-Brute; Man Brute attacks Cap; Cameos by Yellowjacket, the Wasp, the Black Panther, Sharon Carter, Bucky Barnes, and Nick Fury; Cap's origin is retold. Letter to the editor from comics writer J.M. DeMatteis

The Stan Lee, Gene Colan , Joe Sinnott run continues. While I found this to be a VERY nice copy of the issue, It had just a hint more wear than I like to see on a 8.0 VFN book. Thus the 7.5 Grade. If I someday see a VFN or better book with better eye appeal I may opt for it. For now I have yet to see one that fits that bill.

Captain America #122

Captain America thinks about his lot in life as a symbol of the American - can he find a normal life as Steve Rogers?; He thinks about Sharon Carter and how she cannot stay in a relationship with him while she is a SHIELD spy; Cap battles the Scorpion.

Beautiful cover by Gene Colan and Joe Sinnott! Stan Lee contributes his signature story telling with "the Sting of the Scorpion" I love the colors on the cover and how the Orange of the Marvel Logo box flows with the black cover. For what ever reason, this was one of the harder issues for me to find in an expectable grade with the eye appeal I am looking for. Many I looked at had mis-wrapped covers and I absolutely HATE that!

Captain America #123

Suprema and Scarbo want to take over the underworld; Nick Fury and Captain America practice fighting maneuvers and discuss Sharon Carter; Suprema and her minions plan to take over SHIELD, but have trouble defeating Captain America; Cap drives to SHIELD headquarters and frees Fury and his men from Suprema by using devices inside the truck hes driving. Cameos by J. Jonah Jameson (from Spider-Man) and Tony Stark (Iron Man).

Yet again more Stan Lee, Gene Colan, Joe Sinnottt Cap Magic! More absolutely beautiful cover art from Colan and Sinnott!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Now continuing with my Captain America run.

Captain America #124

Two AIM assassins attack Captain America; one of the assassins becomes part of Modoks cyborg project; Cap demands that Nick Fury take Sharon Carter off of active duty so he can pursue a romantic relationship with her; The cyborg robs a bank and battles Sharon; Cap defeats the cyborg and tells Sharon he doesnt want to see her anymore.

A beautifully crafted story by Stan Lee with classic Gene Colan/Joe Sinnott art. Nice bright bold cover work by Marie Severin with Joe Sinnott inks.

My goal with my Captain America Run was trying to obtain all of the earlier issue's in at least 8.0 VFN or better with nice eye appeal. A task that sometimes became difficult. Here I had to resort to cracking out a CBCS Book. No doubt a beautiful book! I felt it had just a hint more wear on the bottom left corner and edges than I would like to see on and 8.5 Book. Even so it was still very much in line with my 8.0 or better minimum.

Captain America #125

Captain America, reeling that his relationship with Sharon Carter ended over a perceived betrayal, goes to Vietnam to investigate the disappearance of Dr. Robert Hoskins, who has been helping wounded soldiers; He gets attacked and is captured by a group of Asians not wearing uniforms; Cap is taken to a castle that is occupied by the Mandarin, whom he battles

Another bold cover from Marie Severin, this time inked by the great Frank Giacoia. Stan Lee and Gene Colan continue Cap's woes with love interest Sharon Carter. A CGC 8.5 book I cracked out for the run. Unlike the previous crack Out I felt this book was extremely nice and a tad better than a 8.5 VFN+

Captain America #126

Captain America goes to Harlem to check on the Falcon, who is wanted for a crime; Cap believes hes innocent and investigates; Falcon tells Cap that he was framed by Diamond Head; Diamond Head and his cronies rough up non-blacks who have businesses in Harlem, forcing them to pay them protection money; Cap battles Diamond Head and his gang.

Jack Kirby/John Romita Cover, Bill Everett, Criticizing this legendary tro is BLASPHMY, As all three are favorites of mine, but for some reason I always thought Cap looked a little out of proportion.
Another finely crafted story by Stan Lee, Gene Colan and Frank Giacoia. A absolutely gorgeous book I waslucky enough to pick up from a Canadian Seller. A solid 9.4 NM book that I docked a bit for the slight miswrap on the bottom edge. Never the less a fantastic book that I was extremely happy to add to my Captain America run.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I'm REALLY enjoying what you are doing here!! Thanks for sharing this!
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful. This is what collecting and the hobby is about.
Are these examples of CBCS's raw grade? If not where are these labels and grades coming from?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks for stopping by and the kind words guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Beautiful. This is what collecting and the hobby is about.
Are these examples of CBCS's raw grade? If not where are these labels and grades coming from?

The two "crack outs" were Actual slabbed books, before CBCS came out with their "Raw Grades". I would VERY much seek out CBCS Raw graded books as well if they were books on my want list. I have no problem what so ever with CBCS Raw Grades. In fact I would prefer them as they are much more cost efficient than cracking actual slabs. The restoration check is a non-Issue as I feel I am as capable as any Employee at CGC,CBCS or PGX in my grading and accessing skills.

I did make a typo on Issue #125 (I since Edited it) That book was actually a CGC 8.5.

The vast majority of my collection is Raw (I prefer that) I scan and inventory all my books using a self created display, including all the info for each book. A "Cyber Slab" so to speak I use for online displaying.

If I do crack a book from a slab I will also include that info on my "Cyber Slab" as I have done with the Cap #124 and #125 Issues above.

I do retain the Labels from any crack outs for future reference.

I would like to note in light of the current debate about the CBCS Label and the "so called" heat seal that is suppose to be a security measure. NOT!

You can see on the CBCS label where the "so called heat seal" did kind of touch the label. But it in NO WAY would prevent it from being trimmed or touched up to be reused. As I stated in the heated debate in the other thread, I don't believe that this was ever intended to be a security measure by CBCS, and if it was, it's without question the worst ever employed by any Authenticating Company. They will need to do much better than that if they expect to gain market share and be known as a top tier Authentication company. With todays modern technology a tamper evident product should be easy to design and incorporate into the slabs.
Post 17 IP   flag post
OK...... now on to more CAPTAIN AMERICA ISSUES!

Captain America #127

At SHIELD headquarters, Nick Fury tests the new protecto-suit designed by Dr. Ryder; AIM attacks Fury and his SHIELD agents, who have developed a way to nullify the protecto-suits; Ryder convinces Fury that Cap is suspected of betraying SHIELD; Fury has Tony Stark build X-4, an android that can test Cap to assure Fury that he is not an imposter; X-4 attacks Cap; Sharon outs Ryder as a traitor!

Another Nice Bold cover from Marie Severin & Joe Sinnott! Nick Fury! Shield! and Cap's love interest Sharon Carter! Stan Lee delivers and all out masterful Marvel style story! Gene Colan's Art flows like beautiful symphony! Colan's work is inked by the legendary Wally Wood! His first and ONLY work on the Title. The book embodies Everything a Captain America Issue should be!

Captain America #128

Dismayed by hearing comments from the people that Captain America is washed up, Steve Rogers buys a motorcycle for driving across the country; Entering Coits Neck, he gets arrested by a policeman who thinks hes a member of Satans Angels; The Angels break Steve out of jail; Steve refuses to go with them and then rents a room in town; Later, the Angels terrorize an outdoor music festival by racing their motorcycles through the audience; Cap arrives on his bike to stop the destruction; Gang member Whitey tries to run down Cap with his bike; Cap fends him off with his shield; Red Skull watches this conflict on a view screen.

Marie Severin and Joe Sinnott start this issue out with one kick ass cover! Gene Colan continues his outstanding run on the title, this time aided by the inks of Dick Ayers. This Stan lee story is why Marvel was dominating the industry at the time. Stan's Stories were always reflective of the times, and this one was pretty obvious to me.

The storyline from August 1970 was obviously drawn from the events that occurred only a few months earlier on December 6, 1969 at the now infamous Altamont Speedway Free Music Festival featuring many of the day's top rock acts including the Rolling Stones. The "Saten Angels" in Stan Lee's story were surely in reference to the Hell's Angels incident that occurred at the Altamont Speedway Music Festival. See link below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Free_Concert

While many collectors spend so much time focusing on "first Appearance's and Origin Issues" for mostly monetary reasons, they often miss out on, what I consider to be much more KEY issues like #128. Stories that are much more meaningful and reflective of socity and events of the times in which they were created.

While Captain America surely has many high dollar "Key" books in his illustrious history. My first recommendation to any casual Captain America Fan looking for Great Cap Book would be an Issue Like #128. NOT for any monetary reasons, but for the content.

This was a book I was having trouble finding in the higher grade conditions I was seeking for my Cap Run. I finally run across this beauty on Ebay at a very reasonable price and Promptly Freed it from its plastic prison. Upon my inspection of the book I was in agreement with CGC on the 9.2 NM Grade. An absolutely beatutiful book that I am blessed to own in my Cap Run.

Darn it! I gotta run for now. The wife is going to KILL me if I don't get the yard mowed!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain America #129

Cover pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Frank Giacoia. "The Vengeance of the Red Skull," script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Steve Rogers continues to ride his motorcycle around the countryside; The Red Skull sees that he is passing near King Hassab of Irabias motorcade of; Red Skull reroutes Cap and the King to arrive in a small town at about the same time; Skull lets Cap watch his abduction of the King and leads him into a trap; Cap escapes the trap and rescues Hassab; Skull gets stuck in the rocket he had intended to use to launch the King into outer space.

Gene Colan and Frank Giacoia turn out an all-time Great Captain America Cover! Most definitely one of MY favorites! The cover embodies everything a Comic book cover should be! From Cap's desperate outstretched attempt to reach the car, to the awe struck crowd witnessing the scence, to the diabolical Red Skull inset! It's everthing a cover should be! Gene Colan, assisted by the ink work of Dick Ayers, also continues his legendary Artwork run on the title. Stan Lee also turns in another Mighty Marvel Story.

The Book itself is in ABSOULTELY amazing high grade condition coming in at a beautiful 9.2 NM- Maybe even a 9.4. Im always SUPER STOKED when ever I have the opportunity to add a book of this caliber to my Cap Run!

Captain America #130

Cover pencils by Marie Severin, inks by Joe Sinnott. Batroc, Whirlwind, and Porcupine team up against Captain America in "Up Against the Wall," script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Captain America stumbles onto the Hood's plan to convince students to riot at a Midwestern university; After rescuing a dean from said riot, Cap is asked to make public service announcement condemning the students; While he mentions that violence shouldn't be the answer, Cap mostly condemns the dean; The Hood hires Batroc's Brigade to attack Cap. Cameos by the Hulk and Peter Parker (Spider-Man).

As a comic book enthusiast it's hard to criticize any of the hard working creator's, but I felt the cover here was just too "Wordy" and Cluttered. After the masterful cover turned in by Gene Colan last issue maybe my expectations were high. While not one of my favorite covers, the Stan Lee story once again draws from the events of the time. With the brain dead snowflakes and faculty currently entrenched in our academic communities a visit from the Star Spangled Avenger is most definitely needed.

The book itself is another Outstanding high grade book that I cracked from a CGC slab. I had other high grade opportunities, but they all fell victum to the dreaded Mis-Wrapped covers, which I ABSOLUTELY hate and will avoid ever adding to my collection at all cost. After thoroughly inspecting the book I was in agreement with the CGC Grade.

Captain America #131

Cover pencils by Marie Severin, inks by Joe Sinnott. "Bucky Reborn!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Baron Strucker finds an amnesiac young man in the gyms of San Francisco and hypnotizes him into thinking he is Bucky; Strucker uses "Bucky" to lure Captain America into a trap; Cap and "Bucky" battle and defeat Strucker. Red Skull cameo

A much better cover output by Marie Severin and Joe Sinnot. Stan Lee's story is kind of a "filler", But I always found it amusing that if your looking to hypnotize someone's brain & thinking, San Francisco is definitely the place to go to find the easiest victims.

The book is a Super Nice 8.5 (Maybe a 9.0) and is well within my minimum 8.0 grade I try to require for earlier books in the Run.

Captain America #132

Cover pencils by Marie Severin and John Romita (alterations), inks by Frank Giacoia and John Romita (alterations). "The Fearful Secret of Bucky Barnes!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Captain America and the public at large believe Bucky Barnes has returned; It is revealed that Modok had Dr. Doom create a robot duplicate of Bucky; Modok makes Bucky attack Captain America. But the robot is unable to kill Cap leading Modok to destroy it. Walter Cronkite cameo. Brief appearances by the Falcon, Nick Fury, and Sharon Carter

A much more well defined cover by Marie Severin! The John Romita alterations are really apparent here.
Stan Lee continues with his "Evil Bucky" storylines. A great looking book with minimal wear and I was very happy to have obtained it.

Captain America #133

Cover pencils by Marie Severin, inks by Sal Buscema. The Falcon becomes Cap's partner in "Madness in the Slums!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Modok's origin is revealed as a former AIM scientist who was turned against his will into the grotesque living computer; Modok creates the Bulldozer robot and sends it to Harlem to tear down the slums in order to gain the residents' favor while discrediting Captain America; Cap and the Falcon defeat the Bulldozer and Modok. Brief appearance by Tony Stark (Iron Man).

Marie Severin turns in a nice cover, this time aided by, the one and only John Buscema. Although it's still a bit "wordy" for my tastes, Buscema's inks work really well with Marie's artwork.
While I always much preferred solo heroe's, as opposed to any of the Team books like X-Men, Avengers, etc. I was ok with a side kick such as the Falcon becoming Cap's partner in this issue.

As we discussed in some of the previous issues, Stan Lee was always creating storylines that mirrored the political and Social landscape of the time. The addition of the Falcon would allow Stan Lee to explore many of the racial events evolving in the country at the time.

Also note that in many of Stan Lee's Falcon storyline's that dealt with the inner city problems many blacks faced at the time, His portrayal of them often seemed VERY stereotypical. While I believe Stan Lee had nothing but the best intentions for these Falcon stories dealing with the racial issues. Im afraid that today's Race baiting brain dead political snowflakes would likely be calling Lee a racist pig, an burning Marvel Comics in the streets. Its a shame how hateful and ignorant people who engage in "Racial Politics" really are.

Captain America #134

Cover pencils by Marie Severin and John Romita (alterations), inks by Herb Trimpe and John Romita (alterations). "They Call Him - Stone-Face!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Dick Ayers; Captain America and the Falcon defeat two punks who are running a protection racket on a Harlem shopkeeper; Their boss is Stone-Face, a gang lord nicknamed for his partially paralyzed face; Falcons nephew Jody Casper works as a numbers runner for the crime lord; Jody stops by Sam Wilsons office and rejects his uncles advice to avoid the racket; Jody gets arrested, and Cap joins Sam and Jodys mom in recommending leniency; Jody is given a suspended sentence and believes that Captain America works for Stone-Face; Cap and the Falcon battle Stone-Face

Another SUPER nice High Grade book I was able to pick up for my Cap collection. As we discussed in the previous issue, The Stan Lee storyline centers around some of the social and racial issues facing black youths at the time. As I stated previously, Lee's Portrayal of many ethnic and minority groups can often times seem very stereotypical, in what I feel was always a well intended attempt to make sure his black character's didn't come off as just "White Characters", who just happened to have black skin.

Even so, Marvel and Stan Lee were never afraid to explore the social issues of the time. Which is again one of the main reasons Marvel was dominating the comic book industry.
Post 19 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
EXCELLENT THREAD!...TERRIFIC PRESENTATION!

Marty Mann
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks for stopping by and the kind words Marty.

Many times these message boards lose site of why we are really here. They seem to get bogged down
with a lot of silly name calling on topics where not everyone agrees(Myself included)

When I find myself getting entangled in those types of Threads I try to revert back here, to my Captain America Thread to regain my sanity and get back to focusing on the most important thing. The books and Characters we all love.

John Clayes
Post 21 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
John...

Keep posting...it's a great run you have!
Mine begins at #190.

Marty Mann
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thanks Marty!

I appreciate the kind comments.

And I will eventually get to Issue #190 featuring one of the many
Fantastic Gil Kane Covers.

Regards
John
Post 23 IP   flag post
We last left off with Issues #134 entering the year 1971.

Economy

President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew

Population: 207,660,677
Life expectancy: 71.1 years

Dow-Jones
High: 950
Low: 790

Federal spending: $210.17 billion
Federal debt: $408.2 billion
Inflation: 5.7%
Consumer Price Index: 40.5
Unemployment: 4.9%

Prices

Cost of a new home: $28,300.00
Cost of a new car: $
Median Household Income: $9,028.00
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.06 ($0.08 as of 5/16/71)
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.36
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.53
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $1.18

but more importantly....... The price of Captain America #135 is Only .15 cents!

Captain America #135

Cover by John Romita. "More Monster Than Man!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Tom Palmer (Palmer is generally acknowledged as Colan's best inker, but this is his only work with Colan on Cap); Captain America takes Falcon to SHIELD headquarters to meet Nick Fury; Falcon battles Dum-Dum Dugan in the gym; Cap tries to talk to Sharon, but she brushes him off, citing the new Project Earth-Dig; Cap and the Falcon battle Dr. Erik Gorbo, a SHIELD scientist who has gone on a crime spree after turning himself into a monster ape.

An All-Star Issue! Gene Colan continues his historical art run! John Romita Sr. Crafts an Outanding Cover and Stan "the Man" Lee delivers another Mighty Marvel Story. I was experiencing great success on my Cap run in 1971. This was another super nice book I was able to obtain once again from a Canadian Seller. Just something about those Canadians AAY

Captain America #136

Cover pencils by John Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten. The origin of the Mole Man is retold in "The World Below," script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Bill Everett; SHIELD agents believe Captain America is dead after he and a huge gorilla (actually SHIELD biochemist Dr. Erik Gorbo) fall into a huge hole in the Earth; Their fall is slowed and halted by an anti-gravity beam wielded by the Mole-Man; Gorbo relates to the villain because they are both outcasts because of their appearance; The Mole-Man and his minions capture Cap and the gorilla; Gorbo dies, reverts to human, and confesses that he lied to start a war. Brief appearances by Nick Fury, Sharon Carter, and Tony Stark (Iron Man).

Just an all around fantastic issue! The Mole Man has always been a favorite of mine every since I seen him as a kid in The Spiderman cartoon. The Action Cover layout on the Bold Red Backdrop by John Buscema is just beautiful! I could sit arould looking at John Buscema's work all day long. A work horse at Marvel and a Very under appreciated talent. I was on a roll and starting to get spoiled landing so my gorgeous high grade books for my run. I started trying to up my Minimum grade from 8.0 to 9.0's or better. My luck would eventually run out on that quest. One other note: I believe this might have been the first time the Falcon appeared in the Marvel Logo box with Cap.

Captain America #137

Cover art by Sal Buscema. "To Stalk the Spider-Man," script by Stan Lee, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Bill Everett; Mole Man raises Captain America and the Falcon to the surface with his levitation beam; The Falcon sees Spider-Man, who is currently wanted by the police, swinging through the city; He decides to capture the Web-Slinger; Falcon stops a mugging, but continues his pursuit of Spidey; Falcon thinks Harry Osborne is Spider-Man and captures him; Peter Parker changes into his Spidey suit goes to rescue Harry; Spidey defeats the Falcon and plants a Spider-Tracer on him; The gangster Stone Face is out on bail and seeking revenge. Brief appearances by Nick Fury and Sharon Carter

I could be mistaken, but I believe this might be the first time Spidey cross over in to the Cap Title.
Not to be out done by brother John, Sal Buscema treats us to his own unique Cover. The book was king of an impulse buy because the price was right. the cover is a slight mis-wrap, which I always destest with a passion. At least it is uniform through out the spine. I chose not to crack this one out (yet
NOT: Gene Colan's Outstanding Art run on the Title comes to an end with this issue

Captain America #138

Cover by John Romita. "It Happens In Harlem," script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by John Romita and Tony Mortellaro; Captain America leaves the Falcon, who Cap thinks is hiding something from him; Stone Faces minions attack Falcon and drive off with him; Spidey searches for the Falcon, who has a Spider-Tracer on him; Spidey follows the Falcon in Stone Faces limo to the gang lords hideout; Falcon attacks Spidey, who webs him to a bridge; Cap faces Spider-Man, but they along with Falcon resolve matters and go back to Stone Faces lair; Our heroes foil Stone Face's plans for Glory Grants building.

While all good thing came to an end with Gene Colan's run on the title, A New begining starts out with a BANG here in Issue #138! Romita cover conveys the story perfectly without using a single Caption.
And to land the book is this Super High Grade Quality is nothing short of AMAZING! SUPER Stoaked when ever I can land books of this quality.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 What grades are you looking for on the missing books?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@BigRedOne1944 What grades are you looking for on the missing books?

#180 (9.0 or better) I could have landed this book many times. The main reason I have not is because I feel it is a grossly over priced book. I never did accept Steve Roger's little stint as Noamad the KEY issue sellers are trying to label it as. I'll most certainly be patience on this book as I feel it will eventually drop from it's over hyped status.

#186 (9.0 or better) I love the Gil Kane Cover, I would consider a Strong 8.5 if it had the right eye appeal.

#290, #292, #310 (9.4 NM) Once I get into the Eighties and beyond books, Im looking for High Grade NM books or better. Ive actually purchased all three of these books once before, but unfortunately they were Ebay overgrades and I sent them back to the seller.

I would surely be interested in these issues if anybody has a line on them. I can't promise to buy any of them if I don't feel they have the right eye appeal to suit my needs, But Im willing to look.

Thanks for stopping by!
John

PS: Im not interested in ANY books that do not have perfect centered covers.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain America #139

Cover by John Romita. "The Badge and the Betrayal," script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by John Romita and Tony Mortellaro; The Police Commissioner tells Cap about the mysterious disappearances of seven patrolmen and other city officials and asks him to go undercover as a rookie cop and be bait for the killer; Cap agrees, hoping this will allow him to start a normal life as a cop as Steve Rogers; While testing his new grappling tool the Hawk-Hook, Falcon is grabbed by a force beam and pulled into SHIELDs heli-cruiser; Nick Fury asks Falcon happened to Captain America; Steve begins as a rookie police officer under the tough Sergeant Muldoon, who reminds him of his World War II Army Sergeant Duffy; While patrolling as Captain America, Steve goes to a stonecutters storage yard and finds statues made of missing policemen; The Grey Gargoyle is responsible. Brief appearance by Sharon Carter

While I always prefer the Epic Battle covers, John Romita's cover here Portrays the story beautifully. Stan Lee spins a beautifully crafted 4-part Grey Gargoyle storyline that flows perfectly. The book itself was purchased from Metropolis Comics. It is certainly a beautiful book that is well within my required grade range. I felt it was more likely a 9.0 than the 9.2 Grade Metropolis Comics graded it at.

Captain America #140

Cover by John Romita. Grey Gargoyle origin is retold in "In the Grip of the Gargoyle!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by George Roussos; Captain America traces the missing policemen to a graveyard and with the Falcon's help barely escapes the Gargoyle's stone touch; Falcon then follows the Gargoyle to the villain's headquarters while Cap meets with Nick Fury and Sharon Carter in SHIELD's helicarrier. Thor and Iron Man cameos

This Time Romita does turn in an all out battle cover, as Stan Lee's Grey Gargoyle storyline continues. Yet another book I had to resort to cracking out of a GCG slab. The CGC book was super strong and Every bit the 8.5

Captain America #141

Cover by John Romita. "The Unholy Alliance!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by Joe Sinnott; Using the Falcon as his stone slave, The Gargoyle tricks SHIELD into taking him--via the helicarrier - to SHIELD's mountain fortress where Element X is stored; This planet-destroying compound has only one weakness--stone. Guest starring Nick Fury and Sharon Carter

Wow! Just look at that John Romita Sr Cover! It absolutely doesn't getting any better than that for a comic book fan, and to have it teamed up with the Epic Stan Lee Grey Gargoyle storyline is absolute comic book Gold! I will admit I have scored a lot of overgraded junk on Ebay, But this book was certainly NOT one of them! A beautiful high grade book that I was OVERJOYED to add to the run!

Captain America #142

Cover by John Romita. "And In the End," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by John Romita, inks by Joe Sinnott; Captain America and the Falcon wait for the Grey Gargoyles petrifying touch to wear off of Nick Fury and Sharon Carter; Cap and the Falcon make their way into the Grey Gargoyles lab, battling his security forces to get to Element X; The Gargoyle grabs the deadly element and turns it to stone to further protect it; Cap and the Falcon battle the Grey Gargoyle; Fury and Carter launch the rocket containing the element into orbit around the Earth, ending the threat of Element X and the Grey Gargoyle

Romita does it again! Once again showing the Epic struggle Cap faces! And that's just the Cover! Stan Lee's masterful Grey Gargoyle storyline concludes with an all out battle for Element X. Its no small wonder why these guys(Lee, Romita) are comic book royalty. There are many legendary Cap storylines in his illustrious career. I highly recommend this to be one well worth the read. I think it is kind of ironic that the cover included the "Still 15c" blurb, as this was actually the Last .15c Cover price book. I guess all good thing come to and End
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain America #143

52-page giant. The Red Skull returns in "Power To the People!" Script by Gary Friedrich, art by John Romita Sr. Grey Gargoyle cameo

An "in your face" cover from John Romita sr. I really love the deep purple and bold colors on it. This 52 page giant and the next few Issues went with different style lettering on the main "Captain America" Title lettering. Im glad this didn't last but a few issues, as I always preferred the Red,White and Blue style much better. These 52-page giant size books are always very tough to find with nice straight spines. Not a hugh key book, but as soon as I seen that straight spine I had to have the book.

Captain America #144

First 20-cent issue. Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew make appearances in "HYDRA Over All!" Script by Gary Friedrich, art by John Romita Sr. Guest starring Nick Fury and Sharon Carter. The Falcon gets a new costume in the back-up story, "The Falcon Fights Alone!" Script by Friedrich, art by Gray Morrow (with significant touch-ups by Romita; talk about a clash of styles...!). Romita cover.

It seems Stan the Man has handed over the writing reins to Gary Friedrich. While I will sorely miss Stan's classic writing style, Friedrich does do an admiral job. Following a Marvel Legend is not an easy task. The Falcon gets his New costume this issue. The book is getting kind of pricey in high grade. Luckily I was able to snag a Nice one for my run.

Captain America #145

Cover art by John Romita. "Skyjacked!", script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Gil Kane (pages 1-14) and John Romita (pages 15-21), inks by John Romita; It's the most cataclysmic climax of all when Cap and the Femme Force face off with HYDRA aboard a plane!; But will they prevail over the forces of evil?; Or will Steve Rogers lose the love of his life?; Find out in this shocking issue!

Romita continues to carry the title with another fantastic cover, although I still don't like the "Captain America" Lettering with the yellow backdrop on the cover. While I felt the book was a Solid 9.0, I docked it a bit for the slight off centered cover.

Captain America #146

Cover art by John Romita. "Mission: Destroy the Femme Force!" starring Captain America, Hydra; SHIELD, Kingpin (in shadows), Falcon, Redwing, and Red Skull (in film footage), script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; Hydra kidnaps Sharon Carter from the hospital to force Captain America to become their prisoner; Will the Star Spangled Avenger finally put an end to HYDRA?; Or will anger consume him in his pursuit for revenge?; Plus, find out who's been pulling the strings all along!

Romita FINALLY answers my prayers by returning to the Red,White & Blue Captain America Lettering on the cover, and what a splendid cover it is! The cover alone is worth the price of admission! Sal Buscema's interior art flows beautifully as usual and let's give credit where credit is do, Gary Friedrich scripts a fantastic story.
Post 28 IP   flag post
My Captain America Run has now entered the year 1972

Economy

President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew

Population: 207,660,677
Life expectancy: 71.1 years

Dow-Jones
High: 950
Low: 790

Federal spending: $210.17 billion
Federal debt: $408.2 billion
Inflation: 5.7%
Consumer Price Index: 40.5
Unemployment: 4.9%

Prices

Cost of a new home: $28,300.00
Cost of a new car: $
Median Household Income: $9,028.00
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.06 ($0.08 as of 5/16/71)
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.36
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.53
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $1.18

Captain America #147

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Joe Sinnott. "And Behold the Hordes of HYDRA," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; While Cap and the SHIELD Femme Force battle to destroy the forces of Hydra in an underground fortress near Las Vegas, a sinister figure watches the melee and prepares to press the button which will destroy the combatants on both sides;The identity of the Supreme Hydra is revealed, along with the identity of the true power behind Hydra

Gary Friedrich storyline continues to hold us in suspense, while Sal Buscema continues to grace the book with more of his beautiful art. So what's new? The issue is sporting a Beautiful cover by one of the all-time greats (and one of my favorites) the one and only Gil Kane. Joe Sinnott's inks are the added bonus that brings it all together.

The Black cover make's it a very tough find in the higher grades. Even the smallest hint of a miswrap really sticks out and ruins the book for me. I managed to track down this beauty which I think is most likely an 8.5 VFN+, but with the black cover I stayed a bit conservative with the 8.0 on it. Either way its a beautiful book that I feel lucky to have found.

Captain America #148

Cover art by John Romita. "The Big Sleep," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Romita (uncredited); Battling the Kingpin in the Las Vegas suite of mysterious industrialist Harold Howard, the Red, White, and Blue Avengers and the Fighting Falcon are suddenly stunned by the sight of the Red Skull, who activates the Fifth Sleeper and attacks Las Vegas

KingPin! RedSkull! Vegas! and a classic John Romita Cover! Beautiful Sal Buscema Interior! Who could ask for anything more in a Comic book! Look at the Deep Rich color on that cover! 8.0 VFN? Im going to have to pull the book and check it out again.

Captain America #149

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Frank Giacoia. "All the Colors of Evil," script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Jim Mooney; Teenagers are disappearing and Captain America and the Falcon track down Batroc and his Brigade

Hot Damn! Another Masterpiece cover from Gil Kane! This time Frank Giacoia does the pleasure of inking it. Batroc has always been a favorite Cap villain of mine. Another SUPER tough black cover!

Captain America #150

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by John Romita. "Mirror, Mirror," script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten and Tony Mortellaro; Captain America, Falcon and Batroc stop Jakar from trying to use the souls of the people he kidnapped to reanimate his race; Cameos by the Thing, the Human Torch, Reed Richards, and the Scorpion

Well, We've reached the landmark #150! Gil Kane once again seals the deal with his cover work. Veteran writer Gerry Conway scripts continues to script a nice Batroc Story. With a litle luck and some help along the way, I have pretty much been able to keep with my 8.0 VFN grade minimum up to now.

From this point on, Im going to try and up grade minimum to 9.0 or better. Wish me Luck! My wallet is about to take a pounding!

Captain America #151

Cap and the Falcon battle Mr. Hyde and the Scorpion in "Panic On Park Avenue." Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. Cameos by Daredevil, the Black Widow, Iron Man, and the Owl. Brief appearances by Nick Fury and Sharon Carter. Buscema cover

Well, trying to keep with my new goal of 9.0 or better books I promptly cracked out this CGC book. With the Scorpion appearance and Sal Buscema giving us the full Monty inside and out, this book seemed to be getting kind of pricy. The tough black cover doesn't make it an easy find either. It is a gorgeous book. The CGC grade is accurate, but now that Im looking at it, I should go back and change the grade to 9.2 NM- for that slight mis-wrap by the top.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944
!!!!! Absolute money. Now this is what its all about. I am a huge Kirby fan and some of those earlier issues, specfically 107 is just perfection. Guy could tell a whole story on a cover. Good on you for holding yourself firm to higher grades. Its not cheap or easy, but worth it long run. This is a proud collection and best of luck in attaining those last few.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600848 65 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?