CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

Gotta love those 9.6s340

Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
I have a question.
why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+.
When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade....

I remember when anything above Very Fine or better was an outstanding copy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Gunnz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
I have a question.

I don't. But thats what I aim for with older keys. I Love them, but I can't justify paying thousands for 1 book. I pick my grade goal per book. I'd take a GSX #1 at 3.0. even that i'm not sure I could afford lol!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
I have a question.

I don't. But thats what I aim for with older keys. I Love them, but I can't justify paying thousands for 1 book. I pick my grade goal per book. I'd take a GSX #1 at 3.0. even that i'm not sure I could afford lol!

It definitely depends on the book for me. I love Golden Age Batman, and as long as the book is complete, I'm happy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Point6God private msg quote post Address this user
Learn to love the 9.6; the 9.8 is not the end all be all. Unless of course you bought it raw at a price above 9.6 graded, in which case...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Old label 9.6
Looks pretty damn nice- a definite CPR candidate if I ever need to sell it.
And if it's ever worth CPRing.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.

I love buying 9.6. It is a lot cheaper then a 9.8.

I just can't figure out this grading thing. It seems I can grab a brand new book off the shelve, actually behind all the ones in front so it hasn't been thumbed thru yet, not read it, send it in, and it comes back as a 9.6 or less.

I then can grab a book in the bins that isn't even bagged or boarded that is 4 years old, send it in, and it comes back as a 9.8.

I am horrible at this.
Post 31 IP   flag post
CBCS JSAmand private msg quote post Address this user
It's not where you get it from... it's the number/type of defects it has acquired. No matter where you are, maybe ESPECIALLY at your LCS, look at the front AND the back of the book. Defects do not always count for less, just because they are on the back cover versus the front cover.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Here's an impulse buy from some years back. I was unsure about cracking this out or leaving as is. I decided to leave it as is in case I choose to sell.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAmand
It's not where you get it from... it's the number/type of defects it has acquired. No matter where you are, maybe ESPECIALLY at your LCS, look at the front AND the back of the book. Defects do not always count for less, just because they are on the back cover versus the front cover.

The first place I look is the spine. I go thru the stack and try to pick the one without any creases on the spine or near the staples. Usually there might only be 1-2 out of a stack of 10 that doesn't have some kind of stress. Those are the ones I grab and try to send in. Am I putting to much priority on those issues and not enough on something else?
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS JSAmand private msg quote post Address this user
Well, yes, on higher grade books, spine damage is the most common defect, and often the ONLY defect, but it is the whole book that is being graded. If you are trying to find and submit 9.8s or better, you need to look at the spine, at the edges, corners and interior staples. Make sure everything is straight, square, and no edge bends, corner creases, or abrasions. A 9.8 does have defects, or it would be a 9.9/10.0, but the defects have to be small, minor and not detract from the aesthetic of a NM/MINT book.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAmand
Well, yes, on higher grade books, spine damage is the most common defect, and often the ONLY defect, but it is the whole book that is being graded. If you are trying to find and submit 9.8s or better, you need to look at the spine, at the edges, corners and interior staples. Make sure everything is straight, square, and no edge bends, corner creases, or abrasions. A 9.8 does have defects, or it would be a 9.9/10.0, but the defects have to be small, minor and not detract from the aesthetic of a NM/MINT book.

Great advice!!!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Point6God private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Damn fine looking book there Sigs. I'm such a visual person that I actually wouldn't swap it out just because the Red Label matches the cover more nicely than Blue. Though if you get it signed then CBCS verified, problem solved.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think the number one thing overlooked by new collectors in grading is the interior. One of the raw books I picked up off ebay recently was a 9.8 just looking at the exterior, inside I found a non color breaking indentation that extended through many of the interior pages, like a small object was trapped in the centerfold for awhile. The damage did not extend to the first and last few pages, thus the covers were still perfect. This book would be a perfect candidate for pressing were it ever to be valuable enough to warrant pressing. This book is only worth a few bucks and was part of a full run I bought, so I'm happy with it as is. But back to my point, don't judge the book by it's cover alone.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6God
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Damn fine looking book there Sigs. I'm such a visual person that I actually wouldn't swap it out just because the Red Label matches the cover more nicely than Blue. Though if you get it signed then CBCS verified, problem solved.

Thanks, P6G
I agree the red actually works with the warm cover colors.
It's unlikely I'll ever have it signed. Medical issues prevent me from doing things like Cons most times, so personally obtaining a sig is a rarity for me.
Also, this was another impulse buy some years back (I used to do a LOT of that; absolutely aimless purchasing). I don't really care about the character, and TBH X-Men and the like bore me anymore :shrug: So since I would only submit books for grading because I plan to sell off chunks of my collection, I may as well keep it as is. I know there are some out there who seek these old labels out, so the trick will be to hunt the hunters.
But that's only IF I sell. I'm perfectly content keeping it for my grandson .

Who knows? Maybe Jubilee will be his generation's Wolverine/Deadpool.

Couldn't keep a straight face
Post 39 IP   flag post
598060 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?