Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

Gotta love those 9.6s340

Collector Namrepus28 private msg quote post Address this user
I should preface this with the following:

I agree with CBCS and their grading, I was just hopeful that at least one of the four would hit a 9.8, but alas. This is the life of a comic book enthusiast.

(The Shazam 28, I knew wouldn't be perfect and am pleasantly surprised with the grade.)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Chrizm private msg quote post Address this user
Did you press these before submitting them?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizm

No, they weren't pressed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel you. I'm trying to put together a 9.8 ASM New Ways to Die variant run and just got back 4 9.6s and one 9.8. I'm so disappointed I haven't even opened the box yet.

I've got a few more of those lined up for slabbing but holding off for now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199
I feel you. I'm trying to put together a 9.8 ASM New Ways to Die variant run and just got back 4 9.6s and one 9.8. I'm so disappointed I haven't even opened the box yet.

Yeah, it hurts. On one hand I'm glad I can accurately peg a 9.6 book with consistency (apparently) but being so close to the goal and falling just a tiny bit short stings the mood and pocket book all at the same time.

Awesome idea for a run btw. Was your 9.8 the Venom cover variant by any chance? Or was it one of the others?
Post 5 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
I have a question.
why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+.
When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Overall value. Re-sale worth if they are buying raw. Grading and selling. Maybe points on registry set. I only have 2 books in 9.6 from TTA and I think they are amazing. Then again I love the 9.2's as well. Let's face it. The 9.2 silver is older then me and in better condition then me also 😜
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I seek out 9.6's. Especially if they are pedigreed. Because to me, they are every bit as nice as many 9.8's, but they are a lot cheaper.

Unless you were a frequent visiter to the CGC forum, you probably never heard of the Lady in White collection. I wish I would have bought the entire collection, but alas I only bought two of three of them. I bought the 9.6's. Not the lesser grades in the collection.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I have quite a few 9.6's. I will post some I already have scanned.

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
I have a question.

Oh, they're still great grades.

In this particular case I was hoping to flip one or two of the books for a quick profit and the fact that 9.8s sell for almost double what a 9.6 sells for in some cases makes a big difference.

When it comes to collecting, once I have a 9.8 of a book I'm after for my personal collection, I know I'm "done" hunting for that book. I've found the highest grade out there (not counting 9.9s and 10.0s due to rarity)and I don't feel like there's anything missing or unaccomplished.

I'm referring to more recent books here. When it comes to older comics, Silver Age for example, anything around an 8.5 or higher is an amazing find.

I had a Captain Marvel #33 and a X-Men #50 come back from CBCS recently both as 8.5s and was thrilled.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user

I think the symmetry of the number "8" as apposed to "6" is what must drive grade
sticklers crazy. Me, I'm alright with it lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I thought (hoped) the inner cover would win a 9.8, but I'm still thrilled to own this

I just wish there was a way to track the number of double covers slabbed.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector FForFake private msg quote post Address this user
9.6's are where it's at. Gorgeous books usually had at a fraction of the cost of a 9.8. If I'm submitting books to sell, of course I want 9.8. But when I'm buying for my PC, 9.6's are where I look.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrepus28
Quote:

Yeah, it hurts. On one hand I'm glad I can accurately peg a 9.6 book with consistency (apparently) but being so close to the goal and falling just a tiny bit short stings the mood and pocket book all at the same time.

Awesome idea for a run btw. Was your 9.8 the Venom cover variant by any chance? Or was it one of the others?

No, everyone wants that Venom variant. So far it is just the Anti-Venom (Romita Jr.) cover at 9.8. I'll even go for the Steven Colbert variant at 9.8 but probably want that signed by him first one day.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.

9.6 is a beautiful book; Gem is the goal
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.
I'd like to add to Steve's though. In my personal experience you'll get a lot more enjoyment from the hobby overall if you focus more on collecting books you enjoy and (at least a little) less on grades. There's nothing wrong at all with wanting high grade books but I think many of today's collectors may not be aware that once upon a time books in VF and up were all pretty much considered to be high grade.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.

The 9.8 or garbage mentality is confusing. It's all those flippers
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, everyone wants that Venom variant. So far it is just the Anti-Venom (Romita Jr.) cover at 9.8. I'll even go for the Steven Colbert variant at 9.8 but probably want that signed by him first one day.

I have a raw copy of the Venom one. Part of my ridiculous Venom collection where I tried to get every single one of his appearances. What a crazy ride that's been.

That idea for the Colbert variant is awesome! That'd definitely be an issue worth having signed!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
I aim for 9.6 and higher... anything that comes back as at least 9.6 im happy.

Cant wait to get my VSP's
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have too many 9.6s (most of mine are significantly lower. I just try to buy nice-looking raw books. Since I only get books to keep and not to sell, I'll usually get a book slabbed if I'm happy enough to own it, regardless of the grade.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

How often to you expect to hit a homerun 9.8 on unpressed books?

I press just about every single book that I submit.Of course, pressing is not a magic guarantee of a 9.8 but it certainly helps adjust the odds in your favor.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:

How often to you expect to hit a homerun 9.8 on unpressed books?

I press just about every single book that I submit.Of course, pressing is not a magic guarantee of a 9.8 but it certainly helps adjust the odds in your favor.

Pressing wouldn't have solved the issues that made them 9.6s as per the grader notes.

I almost need a magnifying glass to see the spine stress lines on the New Mutants 98. Two tiny little lines that I missed when inspecting.

And not often, to answer your question. If anything I found it funny that they all came back as 9.6s.

Kind of an "Of course. So close. It figures." mentality.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user

As of right now I only have 4 graded books. Two are 9.6, one is a 9.8, and the other is a 9.4. Since I have no plans on selling these, I am very happy with them. The recalled Beer Bottle cover of the Action Comics is one of the favorite books in my collection.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Gunnz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.

I completely agree. I honestly have a hard time telling a 9.8 from a 9.6. I think they present well, are in amazing condition and are quite a bit cheaper than 9.8's.

But go ahead and seek out your 9.8's. You can forward all of your dirty old 9.6 books to me!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a question.

I remember when anything above Very Fine or better was an outstanding copy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Gunnz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
I have a question.

I don't. But thats what I aim for with older keys. I Love them, but I can't justify paying thousands for 1 book. I pick my grade goal per book. I'd take a GSX #1 at 3.0. even that i'm not sure I could afford lol!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
I have a question.

I don't. But thats what I aim for with older keys. I Love them, but I can't justify paying thousands for 1 book. I pick my grade goal per book. I'd take a GSX #1 at 3.0. even that i'm not sure I could afford lol!

It definitely depends on the book for me. I love Golden Age Batman, and as long as the book is complete, I'm happy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Point6God private msg quote post Address this user
Learn to love the 9.6; the 9.8 is not the end all be all. Unless of course you bought it raw at a price above 9.6 graded, in which case...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Old label 9.6
Looks pretty damn nice- a definite CPR candidate if I ever need to sell it.
And if it's ever worth CPRing.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601347 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?