Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

NSFW - Will CBCS Grade Adult Related Content3398

Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If it was Obama instead of Trump would you still feel it not offensive and only art?

Offensive or not, it is still covered by free speech, no matter what President is on the cover.

To be fair, they should do one for each president since Washington.

It actually comes down to ethics and has no free speech basis.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, the artist can put whatever they want on the cover. Yes, the distributor can distribute it. This is their right.

The question is, will CBCS grade it?

The answer we've received so far is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
It's a judgment call when books are received. The general rule of thumb is that basic nudity will pass, but penetration or other hard core scenes get rejected.

So, the Savage Deagon cover is out.

Now, does the GWAR cover depict nudity, or a "hardcore act"?

Well, it's called the Golden Shower variant. On that basis, I'd say it falls under the "other hardcore act" category.

Instinctively, I'd say if it was just the dude standing there naked, you'd be fine. As it is, we'll have to wait & see what CBCS' verdict is.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim I would add that GWAR uses colored water as pee so technically it isn't a real R. Kelly style golden shower. I have been "pissed on" at a GWAR show. It was fun btw. I would say it is more satire than hardcore.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@b00ch Maybe so. But what is being depicted? A bucket of fake urine? No. He's peeing directly onto his head.

It'll be interesting to see where the graders land on the issue.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@00slim They don't use buckets they shoot it out of the fake penises from the costumes. So what is being depicted is the character fake peeing from fake penises on Trump. He looks like he likes it . I hope that the CBCS graders have laugh and grade it like any other comic. Mike Rooth did a great job on it.
Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
And the average decent human being is supposed to know what happens at a GWAR concert and adjust their perception of this cover based on that HOW?

You are making excuses that have no bearing in reality. You are acting like every person on earth should instantly understand GWAR and not be offended by something that is clearly offensive on the surface to any average human being with common decency.
Post 56 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Perhaps, but is the average human/ every person on earth going to see this cover with its massive run of 550 copies? No, almost no one will even know this cover exists. It was made and marketed to GWAR fans.

You argue offensive yet many slabbed books show bloody murder, but that is okay by your/average humans sensibilities? What about lynchings? What about books known for using racial slurs? I just don't understand this notion that murder is not offensive or do you protest such covers? Your sensibilities have no bearing in reality. Murders are illegal, but fake or real golden showers are legal. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean other don't.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'm looking only at what we've heard from CBCS so far.

Steve never mentioned a cover being offensive as a reason for it being rejected. He did say hardcore sex acts are a basis for rejection.

Is the GWAR cover depicting a sex act?

Again, it's called the Golden Shower variant. And it is not in name only, the act is depicted clearly.

Will CBCS see it as a hardcore scene? We have to wait and see.
Post 58 IP   flag post
@00slim The name is clearly in jest. A real golden shower sex act people would be naked . I hope for the sake of the fans of the book that CBCS sees it as what it is which is humor.
Post 59 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcscomics.com
CBCS reserves the right to not certify certain comic books, including those that contain content that we consider "questionable," or that depicts sexual situations involving minors. This is at our discretion, and our judgement is not debatable.

I've not seen the uncensored version of the Savage Dragon, but unless there are happy faces under the circles, I'm guessing it may not make the cut.

The GWAR book will not be certified by CBCS.
Post 60 IP   flag post
601289 60 10
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.