Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Aging Comics Not Sealed in Carbonite3347

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
One thing always wakes me up in the middle of the night if I own comics... if a comic is graded and slabbed with a 3.5 (most of the comics I used to own), and was graded in 2003 and I bought it from someone else who accidentally left it in a hot room for 9 months while he was away, and then it got shipped and jostled, and was originally marked as 'brittle pages', foreseeable that the comic might have degraded to a lower grade. I haven't seen a lot of online talk about this..because, unlike Han Solo in Carbonite .. Jabba has not sealed them to withstand everything known to man or alien.
Post 1 IP   flag post
http://www.completewermosguide.com/huttdictionary.html
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I have heard the apocryphal story of someone who bought a Wonder Woman 1 and broke it out of the slab only to have it disintegrate in his hands . . . but I have never seen or heard of any actual evidence of this.

I guess it's possible, would love to see evidence though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
We've discussed it from time to time on this forum. I think everyone has at least one slabbed book in their collection that has happened to. I've got a book that was graded with white pages whose pages are now brown, for example. No way it grades the same now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I wonder if (like I go after) you have a 1.0 with glue and tape and 'slightly brittle pages' and I guess when the paper is sealed in the inner sleeve with the degrading chemicals it could definitely get worse... that is why I might check the slabbing date if I was concerned.. or re-slab...
Post 5 IP   flag post
That is one reason I have decided now to switch to Silver Age or newer books.. the Golden Age in 8.0 I am sure are good as long as you follow CBCS guidelines for storage... however the grades I was buying might be a bit risky...then again they might be fine for 50 more years... I am sure the technology will get better.. like sealing them in nitrogen
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I wonder if (like I go after) you have a 1.0 with glue and tape and 'slightly brittle pages' and I guess when the paper is sealed in the inner sleeve with the degrading chemicals it could definitely get worse... that is why I might check the slabbing date if I was concerned.. or re-slab...

This is why CBCS chose the materials they did, so that the comics can breathe. Not to say a comic cannot degrade, but it shouldn't be the slabs fault

it would be cool if they had some sort of sticker to put inside the slab that turned red or something anytime high heat or high moisture is present for a prolonged period of time
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I love the moisture/heat sticker idea
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Patent #23456789 😁
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Get a digital humidity gauge, they are inexpensive. Pay attention to how your body feels too, comics like the same environmental conditions that the human body does, if you are uncomfortable so are your books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
That's a great idea.. moisture and heat sensor... when a guitar store sells a high end guitar they put a drop indicator on the box so that if it gets dropped hard the thing pops out like on your Turkey at Thanksgiving when it is done.. a bar strip along the bottom with little pencil thickness dots would be good... one for heat and one for moisture.. like over 120 degrees and maybe for crazy moisture. I think it will come to that... I wouldn't want to have a Superman #1 slabbed 10 years ago and open it to find it crumble away..
Post 11 IP   flag post
.. chances of me owning Superman #1 in 0.5 is about the same as ... Katy Perry knocking on my door right now...
Post 12 IP   flag post
@keefriffhards honestly...I'd choose Katy.
Post 13 IP   flag post

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
My vote is also for Katy. Giggity
Post 15 IP   flag post
Haha... this is awesome... Superman vs. Lex ... Lex loses.. .Superman vs Katy... Superman loses...
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I'll break the board concencus and will take the Superman 1 slabbed .5 copy, over Katy Perry walking through my door.

I can get 25 grand, I'd guess, for a Sups 1 in a .05 slab.

Meeting Katy Perry isn't going to have any effect on my life whatsoever.But 25 grand is 25 grand.

Unless by meeting Katy Perry I am somehow able to magically charm her , and than lay her down by the fireplace and make sweet, sweet love to her.

If I can parlay that sweet, sweet loving into being a full on man whore/gold digger....and get Perry to marry me....that'd be different.But those odds are exceedingly insurmountable, well beyond having Katy Perry walk through my door.

So yeah, I'll take the Sups 1 instead.😂😂😂
Post 17 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids aww geez CAK, you took something beautiful and just turned it into creepy.

Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
So yeah, I'll take the Sups 1 instead.

Count me in on the Superman as well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ha.. this is awesome
Post 20 IP   flag post
600855 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?