Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Best Offers Going Stale3346

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
When I am on eBay and someone puts in a 'Best Offer' I get back ASAP.. rather than just letting them go for 48 hours and expire. I put an offer in on a comic.. they were asking double what other ones sold for in 2017, so I offered slightly higher than the average of the 5 that sold in 2017 using the comicsmv website. When someone just lets it expire the person has to wait 2 days before they can go after something else... I could cancel it but not sure if that effects my eBay standing...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Bloodlikefire private msg quote post Address this user
There is a book on e-bay right now that someone is trying to sell for double market value. He finial after months of no sale added the "best offer" option. I have tried to get him to come down to a reasonable price, but he seems to think his book is made of gold. I think I'm offering a more then reasonable price, but he says, "I don't need to make a sale". Don't know why he thinks is worth so much, since no one else is making any sort of offer or movement on his current price point.

Do people not understand that a book is only as valuable as the next guy is willing to pay for it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Is there still no way to cancel "offers"? I hate making them and the seller just sits on it forever.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I block buyers if they send me a low ball offer. I usually give them a friendly message to not do it after I received their first offer, But 5 min later get the same dumb offer or close to it again...blocked.

Example. ASM #300 9.2 ASKING $440. Buyer offers $100 😠
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Context would help in these examples.

For instance let's take the following book:

July $100
June $100
May $90
April $90
March $80
Feb $80
Jan $70
Dec 2016 $50

Average sale is around $80.

If you were the seller of this book would you be willing to take $80 for it?

Would the seller be crazy to ask $120 or even $140 for this book?
------------------
Here is another (assume thinly traded book 1-2 sales per year in GPA)

2012 average $400
2013 average $280
2016 average $420

In this case the seller might regard the $280 sale as a fluke and list the book at $500. Not so crazy if they paid $400-420 for the book themselves.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm with Bloodlikefire... if a book went for 700, 690, 595 and 770 this year and I offer 750 that is (for me) a fair offer so he should get back I think... but I agree, if I was offering 200 that is a good reason for a seller to either ignore or block me for wasting their time....
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Bloodlikefire

Without a link or more details it is hard to tell if the seller is being unreasonable.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If you look at most sales results on comicsmv it is always that... $700, $690, $595 and $770... all CGC all same grade.. I learned on this site that sometimes some comics of the same grade have better eye appeal... but I wish I was the $595 person...ha...
Post 8 IP   flag post
The guy or girl is asking double the highest sale amount... so I guess there are a few people who park their comics on eBay hoping to get a lottery win...
I always offer towards the high end.. if it was my example I gave I would be offering $680 or above and ignore the lowball offer.. maybe it had bad eye appeal, or was graded by GCG in 2004...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos, in your first example, I think $120 or $140 is fair for a seller to ask (given that a seller can ask for anything), but a $70 or $80 offer would not be crazy.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I block buyers if they send me a low ball offer. I usually give them a friendly message to not do it after I received their first offer, But 5 min later get the same dumb offer or close to it again...blocked.

Example. ASM #300 9.2 ASKING $440. Buyer offers $100 😠

I just sent a guy my 9.2 for 80.00 about 4 months ago because he got divorced and was taking his 3 yr old daughter to see Stan. I'm happy I did something nice, but I gotta say...I'm kicking myself now.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I would chuck out the lowball amount, then average the realistic remaining ones for the offer... does anyone out there know how much a signature takes it up from Stan Lee etc... also does a restored book usually go for 60% of an unrestored one? I guess I will know when my grading book arrives tomorrow....
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Eh-hem...we have a thread for these sellers who are asking ridiculous prices, it's called The Zero Key Got Stuck.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@Bloodlikefire

Without a link or more details it is hard to tell if the seller is being unreasonable.

Still hoping at some point that he will come down, not willing to point lots of attention to the seller. Others on here may have more money then sense. But I will mention that it is CGC graded and doesn't pass CGC's registry. (They say it seller contacts them they can find out if its real or not) So I offer raw price and he wants graded price.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlikefire
Quote:
@Bloodlikefire

Still hoping at some point that he will come down, not willing to point lots of attention to the seller. Others on here may have more money then sense. But I will mention that it is CGC graded and doesn't pass CGC's registry. (They say it seller contacts them they can find out if its real or not) So I offer raw price and he wants graded price.

Not sure why the seller should take a raw price on a graded book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Bloodlikefire Are you sure it's not the infamous book that was mislabeled with the wrong grade and CGC removed because the owner refused to return it for fixing at CGC's request and expense?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

registry numbers doesn't show up in registry....May be fake, may be real. CGC can't confirm books existence.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

registry numbers doesn't show up in registry....May be fake, may be real. CGC can't confirm books existence.

In that case I would:

1. Call CGC to see if they can find the book in their records
2. If CGC can not find the book, run, do not buy the book, for all you know it is filled with color touch, etc.

If you believe the seller is a scammer, stop wasting your time with that seller.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You should tell us what the book is.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In that case I would:

1. Call CGC to see if they can find the book in their records
2. If CGC can not find the book, run, do not buy the book, for all you know it is filled with color touch, etc.

If you believe the seller is a scammer, stop wasting your time with that seller.

Already contacted CGC, per them, "The book is not currently in our registry. If the seller contacts us they we have secondary ways of confirming if the book is real or not."

You're probable right and I'm just going to have to wave goodbye to the book.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Tell us.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Tell us.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fathom-1-museum-edition-RARE-CGC-9-4/301723837903?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D734327a70a824af8a0f2418625e650f7%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D263038395015&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad6f03a2c-5d1a-11e7-9040-74dbd18043e1%257Cparentrq%253Af5fbfda315c0abc5a756e604ffff10f2%257Ciid%253A1

Buyer beware.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Bloodlikefire

Looks real enough and the buyer has good feedback.

With that being said, $800 is a lot of money to lay out if it is fake.
Post 23 IP   flag post
That's a super old label.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I would chuck out the lowball amount, then average the realistic remaining ones for the offer... does anyone out there know how much a signature takes it up from Stan Lee etc... also does a restored book usually go for 60% of an unrestored one? I guess I will know when my grading book arrives tomorrow....

I wrote some of this before...

If a seller does not set a minimum dollar amount to have offers automatically cancelled then they are inviting low ball offers. They shouldn't have any reason to complain either. Set a minimum and you won't see offers that offend you or you feel are rude. I always start offers on books/original art at least 1/2 of the buy it now price. I am courteous, and polite in my offers. I always put a message in the offer thanking the seller for their time and consideration of the offer I made. If they start a dialog, great. If they don't, I don't care. There are too many other options for me to find the books/original art that I collect.

As a buyer, how I am to know how motivated a seller is or isn't? I can't. I am not a mind reader and have no idea what a seller would consider as rude. Yes, I have had sellers sell items for 1/2 of what they were asking. I own a very nice George Perez original cover that I got for about 1/2 of FMV because I wrote the seller and asked about it. It was a LCS that had it for a long time and did not have that much money in it. I gladly took it off their hands once a price was set.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Is it just me, or does that book look like it is sitting inside the slab without an inner well? Also of all CGC's labels, that old one would be the easiest to replicate. This is why I have always hated that CGC puts the hologram on the slab instead of the label, it's not the plastic slab that needs to be authenticated.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thank you for the actual listing... wow
Post 27 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I have plenty of those red label books. And that looks very suspicious. I think Darth is right
Post 28 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user

notice how nicely centered it is in the case. Also you can see the inner well.

This one is probably a better pic
Post 29 IP   flag post
He also has a Tomb Raider museum edition with the same red flags. I can't find a picture of any other examples of CGC slabbed museum editions.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601272 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?