Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Please Grade my RICK & MORTY #1 ROILAND 1:503340

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Ha
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

2015 Oni Press RICK AND MORTY #1
1:50
Justin Roiland Variant

CGC Graded 9.6
CGC #1231763001
2017 CGC Case [New case style]

Had a light pressing service performed by CCS
Grader's Notes:
1 spine stress lines that breaks color
very light, multiple scratches on back cover

Only 5 now are on census with CGC including this one. Less than 20 are allegedly known to exist.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
9.6!!! Nailed it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yep - cuz of that 1 spine tick tts
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Looks nice in the case. 👍🏼
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome haul mikey. I dont want to be the barer of bad news but im willing to bet at least 100 of those exist. I know my local comic shop had a few as i was holding them in my hands onlaunch day and like an idiot put it back while buyint one first print normal cover. He had at least 40 of the normal first print out and they sat a while. Same with the 2nd print of capt marvel 17 with khamala khan on the cover. The one local comic shop had at least 30 plus of those on the shelves for months. I kick my ass as i was goinf to buy them all at cover price but hated the art work.
Post 31 IP   flag post
30 roiland variants at one store? What state and what city do you live in?
Post 32 IP   flag post
One store would need to have ordered 1,500 copies to get 30 of those, that's a huge number for an obscure book like RAM #1 to be ordered by a single LCS.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I have a theory only since there are no known official print runs of most comics books anywhere with the exception of more recent inhouse studio publishers like Aspen or J Scott Campbell.

With that disclaimer said, we're talking about a 1:50 comic book. The first question to ask truly is: How many of the largest comic book stores are there in America?

A comic book that most local comic book stores did not order. At all. Few did. I only hear of them anecdotally anyhow from fellow fans. So, if nobody hardly ordered them, yet you had to be bold enough and Rick Sanchez enough to order 50 copies for your store, you received one of these. Let's pretend for a second it was on the top of the stack from Diamond Comics, too for maximum minty freshness, too. That all blackass back cover is a true pain the ass to deal with. Now if all these planets were in line just right, during the second equinox of an otherwise impossible feat to accomplish, you had a copy to sell in your store. Honestly, I don't even know how these exist in the wild. So if there are 2500 comic shops in America (Diamond has allegedly 2875 accounts in 2017, up 3% from 2010) and only 100 of those 2500 are big time shops like Mile High Comics in Colorado, MyComicShop in Texas, Forbidden Planet, Midtown and Jetpack Comics covering the NE, etc., those shops most likely are where these variants come from. So take the numbers of the biggest grossing comic stores in the USA and there's your answer. The largest states with the largest number of people per capita per square mile with enough strip centers and demographical regions. North Dakota, Alaska and Montana and Wyoming sadly don't count because come on, they're North Dakota, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming, lol. "flyover states"

So a 1:50 cover from one of the top comic stores in the country with enough overhead to swing over 50-100 copies of each issue on a subscription basis with Diamand can be a very vague question to answer without enough data. 18 out of 50 states cover this criteria. so let's do that:

- 1:50 cover
- 18 out of 50 states ordered it hypothetically
- 6 / 18 are huge states with lots of money so let's pretend they ordered 100-200 copies: 24
- Let's pretend those 24 survived Diamond Distributors' packing/shipping to the LCBS
- 3-5 of those 24 were shipped to grading from the comic shops

Only 5 are on census with CGC:
one 9.0,
one 9.4,
one 9.6, and now this one,
one 9.8
Post 34 IP   flag post
it's all fan theory anyway, how the squanch would I even know?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea know ones. Its dtill rare either way.
Post 36 IP   flag post
🤔
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
The publisher probably has thousands of them in their warehouse they never sent out. One day they will dump all those on the open market. So ride the wave and sell when it is right.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Would Comichron data help? When it released in Apr 2015, 17610 copies were shipped to North American distributors which would mean that a 1:50 variant should have been sent out at least 350 times.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015/2015-04.html
Post 39 IP   flag post
True. But I think a store had to order 50 to get one.

That data doesn't account for stores that ordered 10, 20, or even 40.

It does suggest 350 would be the highest possible print number.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim my thought too.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
True. But I think a store had to order 50 to get one.

That data doesn't account for stores that ordered 10, 20, or even 40.

It does suggest 350 would be the highest possible print numbr.

Valid point.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Perhaps Oni Press would supply the data if one of us emailed them..
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Thanatos I wanted to do that for the Four Color Grails variant. But since the company as a whole is gone . . . 😔

Would Oni Press have the numbers for all the variants? I'd hope so.
Post 44 IP   flag post
There may be 300 copies printed but only 25 or so shipped
Post 45 IP   flag post
I was thinking that might be a possibility.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I personally don't think they over print RIs by that much, they get the orders in from the stores prior to printing. My theory is they probably print to the nearest 100 to cover to orders. Of course there isn't any way to prove either way unless the publishers come out with the data.
Post 47 IP   flag post
597867 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?