Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversQuestions

I want to get a sketch...help332

Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I've always wanted to get a sketch from some of my favorite artist. I have the common sketch in my possession (turtle head from Eastman, zombie head from Kirkman), but what I really want is a nice full sketch that I see some of you guys get.

I heard about getting a commission out of the artist and that they are not cheap but some artist do it. I figured, that is the way most collectors get it. Am I correct?

Now, I am realistic. I know Frank Miller or Todd McFarlane does not need my money bad enough to take time out of their busy day for a drawing, but how can I get some of the lesser known artist. Do I approach them via email, facebook, twitter? How do you bring it up and pricing?

Please let me know. I would like to own my own piece on the wall framed.

Thanks in advance,
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I would check out their web pages, some may have commission information readily available (or specifically say that they don't).

Otherwise I'd say just email them and ask if they do commissions and if so, what their rates are. Just be courteous and friendly. If you see an artist at a convention you can ask there. Time is limited at shows so many typically do shorter sketches but they could give you an email to get in contact with them later to work things out.

Also there are places like ComicArtCommissions.com where published and unpublished artists and post their information and contact info.

Though I haven't used any of these myself, there are galleries like Comic Art House or Catskill Comics that represent multiple artists, sell their art, and have their commission information.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I would check out their web pages, some may have commission information readily available (or specifically say that they don't).

Otherwise I'd say just email them and ask if they do commissions and if so, what their rates are. Just be courteous and friendly. If you see an artist at a convention you can ask there. Time is limited at shows so many typically do shorter sketches but they could give you an email to get in contact with them later to work things out.

Also there are places like ComicArtCommissions.com where published and unpublished artists and post their information and contact info.

Though I haven't used any of these myself, there are galleries like Comic Art House or Catskill Comics that represent multiple artists, sell their art, and have their commission information.

That's great. It doesn't even have to be a special piece created for me. I would like to buy one without having to go thru a 3rd party who marks it up 3x. I would rather give the money to the artist, whom I admire, to show my appreciation of their contribution. Plus, I don't have a grand to spend freely.

Usually, at comic con, I will see some guy standing in front of the artist who is sketching some cool picture at the same time while he is autographing books. Then, when he is completed, he hands it off to the guy. I never see any exchange of money so I guess the artist just did it out of the goodness of their heart. But I never had the courage to walk up and say "hey, I really like your work. Could you draw me *so-so*"

The most I get when I tell them how much I admire their work is a "thank you" or a head drawing. Which, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it.

I just wish I could get something really special. Like the guy at the comic store who always brags he has a drawing from Eastman of all four TMNT characters at home.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
lol I'm definitely not at the Eastman drawing Ninja Turtles level lol.

I think cons are some of the best places to see artists, after all, they're usually there to meet fans, promote their art, sell some art, etc. Definitely check out Artist's Alleys since that's where artists usually go to connect directly with fans. There's usually a lot of amateur artists, maybe you'll find one you really like! There's also professional artists there. I met Jae Lee at the Long Beach Con at the Artist's Alley and he was doing commissions at the show. He had some stapled sheets with his rates and examples, which I thought was really neat.

If an artist is at a show at the DC booth for example, it's almost certainly a signing that's gonna have a huge number of people so they can't really talk shop or do anything for you right there. Still, some places like the Top Cow booth will have raffle for sketches or a set time for sketches and those are usually free. I got this piece by the awesome Stjepan Sejic at one of those sketch events for free.

(obviously it's good to bring reference if you're asking for something that isn't universally known)

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarzola
I've always wanted to get a sketch from some of my favorite artist. I have the common sketch in my possession (turtle head from Eastman, zombie head from Kirkman), but what I really want is a nice full sketch that I see some of you guys get.

I heard about getting a commission out of the artist and that they are not cheap but some artist do it. I figured, that is the way most collectors get it. Am I correct?

Now, I am realistic. I know Frank Miller or Todd McFarlane does not need my money bad enough to take time out of their busy day for a drawing, but how can I get some of the lesser known artist. Do I approach them via email, facebook, twitter? How do you bring it up and pricing?

Please let me know. I would like to own my own piece on the wall framed.

Thanks in advance,

I have talked to them at cons but you have to be early as they fill up fast. Some I have arranged before the con so that they knew what I wanted and I could budget better. Then just drop the book off and they take care of it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
That's a cool picture. Something simple like that would be great.

My brother was going thru a hard time in his life at one point. Girlfriend left, school wasn't working out, bad job. He poured his heart out to James O barr in a hand written letter. O barr wrote back and before you knew it, the two of them were corresponding back and forth. O Barr then sent him a really cool Eric Draven sketch.

Now, I am not asking to take an artist out for beer and ribs, which I would if they asked, just a way to express my admiration of them so that maybe, I can show how much I would appreciate a piece of their talent on my wall for me to admire. Even if it is just a business transaction, I would cherish it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:

My brother was going thru a hard time in his life at one point. Girlfriend left, school wasn't working out, bad job. He poured his heart out to James O barr in a hand written letter. O barr wrote back and before you knew it, the two of them were corresponding back and forth. O Barr then sent him a really cool Eric Draven sketch.

Now, I am not asking to take an artist out for beer and ribs, which I would if they asked, just a way to express my admiration of them so that maybe, I can show how much I would appreciate a piece of their talent on my wall for me to admire. Even if it is just a business transaction, I would cherish it.

Lol at the last con in Salt Lake I sat at Bob Laytons booth and talked with him for 30 mins cause no one would stop and talk to him. It was awesome he was happy and told me thanks since no one was talking to him.
Post 7 IP   flag post
"I have talked to them at cons but you have to be early as they fill up fast. Some I have arranged before the con so that they knew what I wanted and I could budget better. Then just drop the book off and they take care of it."

I didn't even think of that. Bringing a book. I always thought they have sketch paper laying around for request. Maybe bringing my own sketch paper will make it easier for the artist.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Tips on commissions –

Find out what the reputation of the artist(s) you are interested in has in the commission arena. Ask around you’ll find some are fast, some are slow (like it takes 12 months), and some NEVER deliver. That isn’t limited to unknown artist. Some very well known ones have issues delivering commissions.

Once you find one you like contact them and ask if they are interested in drawing your idea, the size of the work, medium they will be working in, and cost to create it and shipping. Try and get all of it in writing via emails. Less confusion on both your part and the artist’s if both of you can refer back to those emails.

If you are setting up a commission at a convention you can get it done so it is delivered there while the show is going on or as a take home commission. Obviously, you can’t the agreement in writing if you choose to do a convention commission.

Ask if you will receive rough sketches before the work is started. Some artist will do this others will not. I have worked with both.

If you agree to all of the above find out the delivery time, method of payment, and if they want total payment/half up front. Personally, I pay half of the cost to start a work and ½ when it is completed, ready to ship, and I am sent a scan of it.

YMMV
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223
Quote:

Lol at the last con in Salt Lake I sat at Bob Laytons booth and talked with him for 30 mins cause no one would stop and talk to him. It was awesome he was happy and told me thanks since no one was talking to him.

Really, that's awesome. I just got Iron Man 128 (demon in a bottle ) just a few days ago for my birthday.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
You wrote about Eastman in two post. If you catch Eastman at a show he brings a lot of his work, and sketches to sell. He and his wife are very easy to deal with. His sketches that he does before hand and during the show are pretty nice.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223
Quote:

Really, that's awesome. I just got Iron Man 128 (demon in a bottle ) just a few days ago for my birthday.

Ya he was really chill. Probably the most down to earth guy I have meet at a con.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
You wrote about Eastman in two post. If you catch Eastman at a show he brings a lot of his work, and sketches to sell. He and his wife are very easy to deal with. His sketches that he does before hand and during the show are pretty nice.

I met him once and he was very nice. Unfortunately, there was still a lot of fans waiting to see him. If I get the opportunity again to see him, I will ask.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
For me I always keep and eye on my favorite artist and see if I can get a piece from them. But I love to go local con's because they bring in other artist who pretty much getting there artwork out there. I have picked up some really awesome commission from these artist. I believe the best way to get a great deal or a free commissions is to really talk with them and know there likes. As for me I am an Art History Major and can really relate to there work. I was a con last year and meet Franchenso and spoke with him for 2 and 1/2 hours. He is a very humble and down to earth guy. I bought his print of the DC Woman that was at Alamo City Comic Con backin 2014 I belive.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
If there is a particular artist you have in mind (or a small list of them) you can always ask around for any AW's that are seeing them at cons and they can usually get sketches for you (for the artists commission rate). I don't ever mark up sketches other than a small facilitator/pickup fee to organize it and pick it up and I know most AW's are the same. And if you get the sketch on a blank or comic backboard, the AW can submit it for yellow label for you as well. I usually get 2-3 sketches at every con i go to.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Beamer private msg quote post Address this user
Just buy a sketchbook. I always bring mine to the con and some artist gives out free quick sketches. You can also buy some of their prints and ask for sketches. Some of the artist you can pre-commission them. You can find them on FB.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Collect blank variants ahead of time. Bring em to every convention.
Post 17 IP   flag post
597898 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?