Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

What grade would you give ASM 30?3283

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Lets play that game again!

Higher grade, but the issue is the bottom left corner - how would it affect the grade if the comic is 9.8 otherwise?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
need better pics imo
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector onlyhulk23 private msg quote post Address this user
wow nice copy! hard to c anything wrong with that beauty.

can't really c what your talking about, but maybe some light fading above the word amazing? but not enough to hurt it?

i would give a 9.8/9.6

scan of back?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ask, and ye shall receive . . .

Corner in question:

Top corner for reference as to the condition of the rest of the book . . .

Post 4 IP   flag post
@onlyhulk23

Scan of back:

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
A blunted corner + two slight color breaks? I'd say 9.4 to be on the safe side. 9.6 is possible, though.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's the highest graded 30 I ever seen in photos or in person. $$$$$$$
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a 9.4 goes for about $800. But a 9.6? Over $1,300. Fingers crossed for a 9.6.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
9.2/9.4 Most likely 9.2

Nice earlier Spidey.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Front cover looks like a 9.6, but I think I see a few indents above the bottom staple on the rear cover, and another faint mark on the lower bottom corner. I pretty much agree with @conditionfreak, but I think it would get a 9.4.

PS - I have had a few SA books get a 9.6 from CBCS, but none have ever come back with a 9.8. That's my grail, submitting a SA book to CBCS and getting a 9.8.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like some horizontal bends above the bottom staple on the back cover. Maybe one along the top edge of the back cover near the spine too. A press would probably be beneficial. That soft left lower corner of the front cover will more than likely keep you at 9.4 or less no matter what. A safe bet is 9.0-9.2 even after press.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
After taking another look, is that a bend or crease or stain at the bottom left corner of the back cover? If it is a crease or stain then you are at 8.5 at best. If it's just a bend that could be taken out by pressing, then 9.0-9.2 as stated above.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
So are we supposed to ignore all the other flaws and only grade one flaw? The question itself is a fallacy because the book is not in 9.8 condition minus the questioned flaw.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
For example:

Amazing Spider-Man #1
Marvel 1966
Variant: Golden Records Reprint
Pedigree:

Certified
White

Signees:

Notes:
tiny edge & corner wear
spine stress bends
spine stress bends

Post 14 IP   flag post
wow thats amazing
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Front cover looks like a 9.6, but I think I see a few indents above the bottom staple on the rear cover, and another faint mark on the lower bottom corner. I pretty much agree with @conditionfreak, but I think it would get a 9.4.

PS - I have had a few SA books get a 9.6 from CBCS, but none have ever come back with a 9.8. That's my grail, submitting a SA book to CBCS and getting a 9.8.

I've gotten a couple of 9.4s, I think one or two 9.6s, no 9.8s yet. I'd love to get a SA 9.8 but I am not holding my breathe!

I've gotten a couple of 9.8 bronze books (later bronze, but still nice books).

Highest GA so far is 9.0 and a bunch of 8.5s, which isn't too shabby for non-pedigree books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam Good eye! I didn't see those but I think most all of those issues would be pressed out and/or cleaned off by dry cleaning.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I mainly wanted to know what effect the flaws I pointed out would have on a grade. Its a beautiful book and those are the glaring flaws (yes, a bend in the paper here and there, and some bends on the cover, but I know what those flaws do to the book and that they can be mostly remedied by pressing). You can comment on the entire book as others have, but I was mostly asking to see how much the blunted corner and a color break would have, especially when they are so minor - i.e. not a color break running across a corner.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector thecollector1 private msg quote post Address this user
very hard to get a 9.6 or 8 with the edges. but who know, there is some slack given to silver age books.

Higher grade, butI would say prob a 9.2/9.4
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector thecollector1 private msg quote post Address this user
The real question you have to ask is are you slabbing for future sale or just to confirm the grade. If so, i would have one of top dealers in your area grade it out. if its not a 9.2 or better there's no value in slabbing to confirm it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
600441 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?