Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeQuestions

Missing Back Covers vs Complete3278

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw a CGC Golden Era with a missing cover graded 1.0. I just had CBCS grade my Golden age comic; PGX has given it a 1.0. CBCS graded it a 0.3 since it was incomplete and missing a back cover. When I asked the comic store about this they said PGX doesn't include missing back covers in their grading since 'you can see that'. Obviously, CGC doesn't care much about missing back covers either. The slabs for the CBCS are much clearer than PGX and I really like them. Question is, 'Is a 1.0 PGX = 1.0 CGC = 0.3 CBCS'? Online talk seems to stand behind CBCS being the most realistic and tough on grading in the low and incomplete end of the grading system.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Fair 1.0 does not allow for more than chunks of pages, not missing entirely. Not for as long as I can remember, so idk what CGC and PGX are thinking there...

For CBCS, either your .3 is a mistake or there is something else causing the .3, bc .5 allows the defect you stated

Got notes?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Still trying to adjust and learn about CBCS grading in the low end... yes, other notes are " Slightly brittle pages, back cover missing, centerfold and piece from 27th page missing, affects story, INCOMPLETE, front cover detached'. I like how descriptive CBCS is and I think they are actually quite aggressive in a good way with their grading, but this does also (not to trash them) make me think that PGX is sort of lax.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I would say (after this one purchase) that before buying on eBay know all the details about PGX, CBCS and CGC grading in the high/ medium/ low end and also Golden Age/ Silver Age and modern. Someone said online that PGX is tough on modern comics but not sure yet if that is true... but I will be learning.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Just because PGX slaps a 1.0 on the label doesn't magically make it a 1.0 or worth 1.0 value.

tl;dr: PGX grading = 💩
Post 5 IP   flag post
Your centerfold is gone. Definitely .3 incomplete

Not surprised PGX missed that, their reputation holds lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
I believe CBCS uses the 0.3 for "coverles but otherwise complete." Which is kinda confusing because that could be considered better than many examples of an incomplete 0.5.
Post 7 IP   flag post
No way even CGC gives a 1.0 with a missing centerfold either. PGX either missed it or is playing by their own rules now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone... yes, PGX no mention of missing back cover and gave it a 1.0. PGX said "1.0 Fair. Centerfold missing (affects story). Coupon clipped (affects story). CREAM to OFF WHITE pages' (and CBCS mentioned 'slightly brittle pages' (with PGX not mentioning that). Yes.. I guess you could have a 3.0 with a missing back page, missing coupon and missing centerfold with a 0.3 grade? Sad. So unfortunately then you would really not know too much about the grading for the rest of the comic.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of pgx, anyone see their new labels? Still digging new cbcs labels of course, but the pgx ones are not so bad.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I think a lot of dealers are maybe getting batches of comics (Silver and Gold) done at PGX... they seem to either be a bit lax on their grading or totally miss stuff... then they put them on eBay and less informed buyers pay a bit too much for them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@jrs Yes, I actually like the new PGX label, and I pointed out in another thread that it looks awfully familiar to the original prototype CBCS label from back when they first opened.

If PGX would straighten up the other issues in their company, they could actually start seeing some success. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
To be fair about the missing back cover, Overstreet Grading Guide still counts that as a 1.0.

Both CGC and CBCS will grade missing back cover as 0.5.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I still like CBCS since they seem to 'put it all on the label'. Their covers are nice and clear and you can see everything nicely. PGX certainly has some issues. I noticed one dealer selling silver age comics had tons of PGX for sale and I had heard that was (for my reason) maybe not a good idea, since they are not as well respected in the field. Heck.. not mentioning a missing back cover... not everyone is a pro, some are still learning and unfortunately trust PGX but as you say... if they would get their act together they could get more respect.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Nothing against dealers ... we love them, we need them... it makes the whole thing exciting, whether you browse their sites online or in person... I just think that maybe the time for PGX situations mentioned is not now. CBCS and GCG (even with their apparent wait times) are (for my me) what is more transparent and possibly good for us all. I wish PGX would join the mainstream a bit more. Someone online mentioned trying to get together more on a common agreed upon standard for grading.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
Thanks everyone... yes, PGX no mention of missing back cover and gave it a 1.0. PGX said "1.0 Fair. Centerfold missing (affects story). Coupon clipped (affects story). CREAM to OFF WHITE pages' (and CBCS mentioned 'slightly brittle pages' (with PGX not mentioning that). Yes.. I guess you could have a 3.0 with a missing back page, missing coupon and missing centerfold with a 0.3 grade? Sad. So unfortunately then you would really not know too much about the grading for the rest of the comic.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597922 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?