Variants - a lesson3233

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
]Except for the Suicide squad theses books are just people chasing the next Image hot book, hoping it's the next Walking Dead. And DC should have shredded these variants or donated them to some children's programs where they would have been read and beat up and enjoyed. DC could have just used it as a tax write-off as a donation.

They make more money selling them at cover price.

I am sure they do but the point is that doing so is a disservice to the customers that have been paying a premium for the variants.

It is also a good way to reduce sales of variants going forward.

Treating your customers like crap is not a good long term strategy.

DC isn't concerned with the selling price of a variant after they sell it to Diamond. After that point it is no longer an issue for them. They have done it in the past and it didn't slow sales. I would guess that DC looked at the printing cost, the cost of keeping the issues in their warehouse and went with the solution that provided them with the most bang for their buck to generate a profit.

Dumping their warehouse of back issues on the market could be looked at as a benefit. It allows those that could not afford the 1:X variant in their collection an opportunity to own it. It just depends on the way you look at it.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i like the idea of kids in hospitals getting them instead...
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
There is a built in problem with donating comics to kids.

How many superhero comic books in the last thirty years, don't have violence, etc.? Some parents are touchy and hospitals, libraries and schools are careful about such things.

They should have sent them to the troops overseas.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Action Comics #1000 is coming up soon. Obviously DC will do something special with that one. I'm curious what everyone would like to see. Prestige format? Multiple issues with different stories, or a continuing story (e.g., 1000.1, 1000.2, etc.)? 100 page giant?

I hope it's something worthy of an Absolute Edition. That would be cool.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Action Comics #1000 is coming up soon. Obviously DC will do something special with that one. I'm curious what everyone would like to see. Prestige format? Multiple issues with different stories, or a continuing story (e.g., 1000.1, 1000.2, etc.)? 100 page giant?

I hope it's something worthy of an Absolute Edition. That would be cool.

The obvious answer is 1,000 variant covers.
Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
They should blow everyone's minds and do one cover with a 1000 print run.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The obvious answer is 1,000 variant covers.

Hahahaha. Sure, and all of 'em signed by Stan Lee.
Post 57 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Or an absolut edition.... comes with a flask so we can drink away our sorrows about how much money we spent on all the covers
Post 58 IP   flag post
They should have Clark send his only son off to another planet as ours explodes. That way they can reset their universe and start everything back at #1. Lots of variants for each new number 1.

Jim Lee should hire me. I'd make DC a mint rebooting all the characters on the new planet.

Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a variant question, how come last week I could only pre-order a Spectacular Spider-man #1 Premier Variant for $500, and today, a day after it dropped, I can get it for $30? Is the Ross Andre worth $30 too?
Post 60 IP   flag post
@RexMuff probably because speculators vastly over estimate the print numbers and now over supply has crashed the market on it.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@RexMuff probably because speculators vastly over estimate the print numbers and now over supply has crashed the market on it.

Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
What I suspected is true,*faith crushed*. Excuse my naivety, been outta this game since '94, I can see not much has changed. Things can be awesome without being sold as "awesome".
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Yep. I still have 10 copies of Outcast #1. The most that I sold a raw copy for was $15 at a convention over a year ago.

I had 1-3 double signed (Kirkman and Azceta) CGC 9.8s that I sold between $120-175 each on Ebay.

I have at least a dozen high grade #1s that I picked up for $10-20 dollars after the book started to cool off.

In fairness the TV show is very good. It seems that no one else besides me has Cinemax.
I wonder if the Outcast book would pick up steam if it were put on Netflix. I do not know anyone with Cinemax. I have not watched the show but I do enjoy the comic. I have every issue. It is on my pull list at the LCS.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Yes it would, I don't have Cinemax.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
The Outcast show is excellent! Another fuggin' incredible show on Cinemax is Banshee.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
The Outcast show is excellent! Another fuggin' incredible show on Cinemax is Banshee.

When Howard Chaykin signed my Star Wars #1 books at Big Apple he was raving about how good Banshee was. I am going to binge watch it during the Summer.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - it is a really fantastic show. My only complaint, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is the 1st couple of seasons there is an obligatory nude scene, like every episode, with Lili Simmons. The lady is fantastically attractive, but it takes away from the narratives when it happens every episode. Thankfully, they stop doing it after awhile.
Post 68 IP   flag post
#Skinemax!
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
@drchaos - it is a really fantastic show. My only complaint, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is the 1st couple of seasons there is an obligatory nude scene, like every episode, with Lili Simmons. The lady is fantastically attractive, but it takes away from the narratives when it happens every episode. Thankfully, they stop doing it after awhile.

Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
People still believe that "gimmicks" and "over-printing" cause the 90's crash?
Post 71 IP   flag post
600685 71 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?