Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Modern Age

Variants - a lesson3233

Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i dont think the variant cover gimmick is a bad thing, just over-played. I'm an artist so i can appreciate the demand for great artists drawing some of our favorite characters.

I just think having 15+ covers, for example, of the rebirth Batman #1, then #2 has like 5 or however many, is just ridiculous.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@infinityG are you counting subsequent printings? Because I only know of two covers for Bats #2. Subsequent printings don't count as variants. imo
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i dont think the variant cover gimmick is a bad thing, just over-played. I'm an artist so i can appreciate the demand for great artists drawing some of our favorite characters.

I just think having 15+ covers, for example, of the rebirth Batman #1, then #2 has like 5 or however many, is just ridiculous.

The way you explained it I would agree. Now if Jim Lee started putting them out in foil and chromium that would be so much cooler. So retro, so 1990's...

(I saw the foil Batman covers in his social media).
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Just checked, i was totally wrong on #2. Just 2 covers, but heading all the way up to #25, theres 2 of each cover. I guess thats cool...? But I looked at #1 and counted 34 different covers (used CLZ collector to count). Maybe different printings, shop exclusives, etc. but 34??

@Towmater not one of those was a foil or chromium cover lmao!
Post 29 IP   flag post
@infinityG Yeah, they did a ton of store exclusives on Bats #1, but they are some great cover art and not repetitive so I'm not complaining. DC this cycle has been keen to save these exclusive variants for #1s and big events. Unlike Marvel which has 50 variants and a new #1 every freaking week. Marvel has lost their minds this year.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
@DarthLego Just checked, i was totally wrong on #2. Just 2 covers, but heading all the way up to #25, theres 2 of each cover. I guess thats cool...? But I looked at #1 and counted 34 different covers (used CLZ collector to count). Maybe different printings, shop exclusives, etc. but 34??

@Towmater not one of those was a foil or chromium cover lmao!

Batman 50, Batman 1, and Harley Quinn 1 each had an insane number of store variants.

Some of those covers from Dell"Otto and others are incredibly good.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@DarthLego thats the one thing i dont want to crap on is the incredible art that adorns some these variants. I will admit I love the pencil covers but I just refuse to dive in. I have some variants but it's more my LCS throwing it in my sub b/c they didnt have anymore of the regular cover (haha, pretty nice of them).

And yes... Marvel has went of the deep end. Love the cosmic stuff but why does Surfer have to reboot after a year. Then the NOW stuff being a reboot within a reboot...like wtf...?
Post 32 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
speaking o' which, Jim Lee got the trading card variant covers coming soon on the marvel side of the street
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have said it before and I will say it again.

If you believe anything is "limited" in numbers, put out by a company. You are sadly mistaken.

Extras are always made by printers and producers.

Sometimes for production reasons. Sometimes for nefarious reasons.

"Limited to 100 copies", does not mean only 100 copies were produced. It may mean however, that only 100 will be distributed "now".

I have some limited edition Fantasy Cards that were given to me by the companies brother. The cards he gave me are not numbered like the ones you could buy. He said his brother's company always produces many extras and puts them away for a rainy day. Because they might skyrocket in price.

And I suspect employees of any company printing cards and comic books probably make extra and take them home for the same reason.

It is natural for humans and squirrels to bury things for a rainy day.

One of a hundred probably means more like one of a hundred and fifty. But that ain't bad in the big scheme of things.
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
and more venomized
Post 35 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak your raccoons are calling.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
speaking o' which, Jim Lee got the trading card variant covers coming soon on the marvel side of the street

What is worse, these are reused art from trading cards, Jim probably won't see a dime from them, and they are putting characters onto titles that have no connections. Pass.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
and more venomized

Venomize ALL THE THINGS!!!

Post 38 IP   flag post

Post 39 IP   flag post

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
While variants are the low hanging fruit and make an easy target our hobby is rife with hype.

Who else remembers when these books were selling for more than 3X their current price?

Yep. I still have 10 copies of Outcast #1. The most that I sold a raw copy for was $15 at a convention over a year ago.
Post 41 IP   flag post

Post 42 IP   flag post
But really I just want to see a venomized @stevericketts
Post 43 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I bought two raw copies of this venomized variant at Five Points.

Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Yep. I still have 10 copies of Outcast #1. The most that I sold a raw copy for was $15 at a convention over a year ago.

I had 1-3 double signed (Kirkman and Azceta) CGC 9.8s that I sold between $120-175 each on Ebay.

I have at least a dozen high grade #1s that I picked up for $10-20 dollars after the book started to cool off.

In fairness the TV show is very good. It seems that no one else besides me has Cinemax.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
But really I just want to see a venomized @stevericketts

Does he ride a motorcycle for real?
Post 46 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
While variants are the low hanging fruit and make an easy target our hobby is rife with hype.

Who else remembers when these books were selling for more than 3X their current price?

Except for the Suicide squad theses books are just people chasing the next Image hot book, hoping it's the next Walking Dead. And DC should have shredded these variants or donated them to some children's programs where they would have been read and beat up and enjoyed. DC could have just used it as a tax write-off as a donation.
Post 47 IP   flag post
To be fair PP 1 still goes for $150 in 9.8.

Also, Outcast tells a great story.

Image puts out lots of great titles.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
]Except for the Suicide squad theses books are just people chasing the next Image hot book, hoping it's the next Walking Dead. And DC should have shredded these variants or donated them to some children's programs where they would have been read and beat up and enjoyed. DC could have just used it as a tax write-off as a donation.

They make more money selling them at cover price.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
]Except for the Suicide squad theses books are just people chasing the next Image hot book, hoping it's the next Walking Dead. And DC should have shredded these variants or donated them to some children's programs where they would have been read and beat up and enjoyed. DC could have just used it as a tax write-off as a donation.

I am sure they do but the point is that doing so is a disservice to the customers that have been paying a premium for the variants.

It is also a good way to reduce sales of variants going forward.

Treating your customers like crap is not a good long term strategy.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

I am sure they do but the point is that doing so is a disservice to the customers that have been paying a premium for the variants.

It is also a good way to reduce sales of variants going forward.

Treating your customers like crap is not a good long term strategy.

DC isn't concerned with the selling price of a variant after they sell it to Diamond. After that point it is no longer an issue for them. They have done it in the past and it didn't slow sales. I would guess that DC looked at the printing cost, the cost of keeping the issues in their warehouse and went with the solution that provided them with the most bang for their buck to generate a profit.

Dumping their warehouse of back issues on the market could be looked at as a benefit. It allows those that could not afford the 1:X variant in their collection an opportunity to own it. It just depends on the way you look at it.
Post 51 IP   flag post
i like the idea of kids in hospitals getting them instead...
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
There is a built in problem with donating comics to kids.

How many superhero comic books in the last thirty years, don't have violence, etc.? Some parents are touchy and hospitals, libraries and schools are careful about such things.

They should have sent them to the troops overseas.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Action Comics #1000 is coming up soon. Obviously DC will do something special with that one. I'm curious what everyone would like to see. Prestige format? Multiple issues with different stories, or a continuing story (e.g., 1000.1, 1000.2, etc.)? 100 page giant?

I hope it's something worthy of an Absolute Edition. That would be cool.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Action Comics #1000 is coming up soon. Obviously DC will do something special with that one. I'm curious what everyone would like to see. Prestige format? Multiple issues with different stories, or a continuing story (e.g., 1000.1, 1000.2, etc.)? 100 page giant?

I hope it's something worthy of an Absolute Edition. That would be cool.

The obvious answer is 1,000 variant covers.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601329 71 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?