Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Modern Age

Variants - a lesson3233

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Bleeding cool published an article on the 15th entitled

DC Comics Liquidates Rare Variant Covers Including 1:300 Jim Lee Sketch Covers

Link to article -
clickable text

The article shows that DC is dumping a supply of variants that are a few years old to your LCS at the cover price. Remember these are "rare" comics...lol.

Doesn't make me want to jump on the modern variant cover bandwagon. I'd like to know what the actual print runs are on variants. It would be better for collectors and the industry. This shows that all the speculation in threads about this book or that variant only having a print run of whatever is just speculation. Nobody but the printer and the publisher knows how many of these are produced, sent out, and then offered again years later.

How long until these books end up in dollar boxes???? Man, it is the 1990's all over again.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
indeed the gimmick 90s are back. the only thing they haven't brought back is newsprint. and I'd like to see that more than variant and lenticular, holographic covers. like seriously... why does "comic book X" #2-5 need 2-3 covers each?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hope that you don't have one slabbed and up on eBay at yesterday's prices...lol.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Bad news for speculative sellers, good news for poor kids who now can snag things they could not afford before.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
My problem with variants is that if the under lying actual book is not a key in any way shape or form then why would I want any version of that book? I have series that I follow because I love the story lines (quite like Paper Girls at the moment) and books I buy because they fill holes in my collection or because they are a key issue, outside of that you can put a pig in a dress and send it to the dance but I won't be asking for a turn.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There is no putting the ketchup back in the packet.

Variants are not going away any time soon.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Some people actually, you know, collect artwork they enjoy. Is that really a crazy concept?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@KatKomics Some people actually, you know, collect artwork they enjoy. Is that really a crazy concept?

No..no...not crazy at all...for some of the artists I like I try to get commissions or convention sketches. For me comics are first about the stories with artwork a strong second. I don't feel that great artwork can save a bad book and I try to not fall for the marketing gimmicks (not always successful). Some people spend hundreds on a variant when for the same or a little bit more you can get your fav character done by that same artist just for you!
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
indeed the gimmick 90s are back. the only thing they haven't brought back is newsprint. and I'd like to see that more than variant and lenticular, holographic covers. like seriously... why does "comic book X" #2-5 need 2-3 covers each?

Did you ever see this?
https://www.newsarama.com/32580-one-publisher-returning-to-newsprint-for-comic-book-printing.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics

Yea i saw this a while back on another thread. i think its great and would love to see the big 3 do it too. who can deny they hate that old comic book newsprint smell??

but it will never happen...
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Its nice to see that the ONE expensive variant I own did not make this list

To be fair, we really don't know how many DC is selling off. It could be 10.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All of those "variants" were going for less than $2.50 during the Hastings Bankruptcy last summer too. I never paid over $3 for most of those myself.

To me, none of those effect any of us here specifically. As you've seen in the past few months, we on this board have focused on the important stuff, like Rick and Morty, Newsstand Editions, Venom #1 McFarlane Sketch Cover, The Spawn Thank you Edition, and speculation over Batman's proposal to Catwoman, and Marvel's nonsensical storytelling.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

For some reason, I feel like I should get royalty payments on R&M memes now
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke you're welcome to send a Mr. Meeseeks to collect. Should be interesting.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I think all negative energy about the shadowy print numbers of R.I.s is overshadowing that there arr good store exclusive variants out there that have finite and public print run numbers. They also tend to have much better artwork on average.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
All of those "variants" were going for less than $2.50 during the Hastings Bankruptcy last summer too. I never paid over $3 for most of those myself.

To me, none of those effect any of us here specifically. As you've seen in the past few months, we on this board have focused on the important stuff, like Rick and Morty, Newsstand Editions, Venom #1 McFarlane Sketch Cover, The Spawn Thank you Edition, and speculation over Batman's proposal to Catwoman, and Marvel's nonsensical storytelling.

If you go out and do a search or speak to your LCS this isn't the first time DC has done this. It is the first time it got more press. I hope when this happens in the future Bleeding Cool write about it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It's sad really. I buy variants of only covers I like or something that seems unobtainable, like the Venom McFarlane or the Spawn THX

but that Justin Roiland Rick and Morty variant tho
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
While variants are the low hanging fruit and make an easy target our hobby is rife with hype.

Who else remembers when these books were selling for more than 3X their current price?

Post 19 IP   flag post
Touche.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Did SS1 ever sell for much more than $100-$150 in 9.8? It is still retaining that value if I'm not mistaken.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Did SS1 ever sell for much more than $100-$150 in 9.8? It is still retaining that value if I'm not mistaken.

It used to sell for $300 easy.

Now you can find raw 9.8 candidates for $30.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think all negative energy about the shadowy print numbers of R.I.s is overshadowing that there arr good store exclusive variants out there that have finite and public print run numbers. They also tend to have much better artwork on average.

I'd like to use Rick and Morty #1 Cover G(7) Bridge City Comics Variant as prime evidence to back what your saying. The print run appears to be fairly low and the cover art is simply outstanding, it definitely outshines some of the other variants fetching $100's. People miss this one because it's not available on mycomicshop or midtown and the eBay seller is letting them go for $15 +sh.
Post 23 IP   flag post
It's not a bad cover imo
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
I pick up covers if I like the cover artist. Some do some fantastic work and I feel like I can support them for that. That being said most of mine are Image rather than the Big Two so they get released at cover price and not inflated. The covers for Seven to Eternity are just amazing artwork in their own right so I buy only those.
Post 25 IP   flag post
i dont think the variant cover gimmick is a bad thing, just over-played. I'm an artist so i can appreciate the demand for great artists drawing some of our favorite characters.

I just think having 15+ covers, for example, of the rebirth Batman #1, then #2 has like 5 or however many, is just ridiculous.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@infinityG are you counting subsequent printings? Because I only know of two covers for Bats #2. Subsequent printings don't count as variants. imo
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i dont think the variant cover gimmick is a bad thing, just over-played. I'm an artist so i can appreciate the demand for great artists drawing some of our favorite characters.

I just think having 15+ covers, for example, of the rebirth Batman #1, then #2 has like 5 or however many, is just ridiculous.

The way you explained it I would agree. Now if Jim Lee started putting them out in foil and chromium that would be so much cooler. So retro, so 1990's...

(I saw the foil Batman covers in his social media).
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Just checked, i was totally wrong on #2. Just 2 covers, but heading all the way up to #25, theres 2 of each cover. I guess thats cool...? But I looked at #1 and counted 34 different covers (used CLZ collector to count). Maybe different printings, shop exclusives, etc. but 34??

@Towmater not one of those was a foil or chromium cover lmao!
Post 29 IP   flag post
@infinityG Yeah, they did a ton of store exclusives on Bats #1, but they are some great cover art and not repetitive so I'm not complaining. DC this cycle has been keen to save these exclusive variants for #1s and big events. Unlike Marvel which has 50 variants and a new #1 every freaking week. Marvel has lost their minds this year.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 71 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?