Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Does this look like shill bidding on ebay?3101

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I want that book so bad...but won't pay over $500 for it. So I'll most likely never obtain one.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
We need more people on ebay to do THIS:

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
That's the same seller I bought the three 4CG variants from last night, and today he has 3 more listed for sale. Highly suspicious indeed.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Man that book had best get here!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Ohnoes
Post 55 IP   flag post

Dun dun dunnnn
Post 56 IP   flag post
He also has a 9.6 and 9.8 CGC 4 color grails listed. Were these listed yesterday?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
His feedback from buyers is pretty solid. So, there's that. And they (the buyers) do have well over (0) feedback.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a comic for .37 cents Saturday night so I've got that going for me. lol
Post 59 IP   flag post
he may be a trusted seller but he's still committing fraudulent listing activities to artificially inflate the price on an already hard to obtain valuable book. It's madness I tell you!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Guys look, he relisted it again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132231757969?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lord....what, $1700 wasn't good enough? Oh right, you bought it yourself. Moron.

Again, a (0) zero feedback person shot it up from my bid of $650 before realizing it was the same seller and same book from last week.

I'm trying to figure out how you can be so certain this was a shill bid. Auctions I find highly suspicious of shill bidders are those that hide the bidders.
Post 61 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I agree. If I'd realized it was the same guy selling the 4CG book, I wouldn't have bought from him & his shilled listing should be reported.

I was simply reassuring @DarthLego & @KiloGraham that our 4CG transactions are most likely going to go smoothly.
Post 62 IP   flag post
They will. He just wants a high ceiling on his 1:50. A one in fifty. Lord help me. I've got 1:1000 comics not worth but a fraction of this.

Post 63 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE it's a slabbed book, so the serial number can be compared. I don't know if Myke did that, but I trust Myke's instincts.
Post 64 IP   flag post
It's not a private listing. You can see the bidders. They leave out letters for security and privacy obviously but you can tell by the time/date stamps, the behavior of the bidders, the amount of feedback the bidder has, etc.

Just one more thing: Also, the timed $250 spike bid just 3 minutes after mine? 2 more enormous bids after mine within an hour time span on a listing that was just listed within a half hour?

and just one more final thing: the same (0) and the same (25) with the same user ids with the same letters blocked out making the same $250 spike bids from the same book from the same seller from last week?

Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not too concerned, seller is in the same city as me and probably won't be too hard to track down if I need to.

It's just suspicious that we all watched the auction, called shill and all agreed it would probably be relisted. I received an email say that the watched item had been relisted, so it's either the same book or it's a fake listing for another copy he has listing it as the original.

Either way I call fraud.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's not a private listing. You can see the bidders. They leave out letters for security and privacy obviously but you can tell by the time/date stamps, the behavior of the bidders, the amount of feedback the bidder has, etc.

Would the bidding history below be suspicious to you? Looks like this is a private listing. Like I said, I worry about shill bids more when it's a private listing than if it's one that I can see bidders with (0) feedback.

Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends. Learn more about bidding. opens in new window or tab
Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,373.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:02PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,348.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:07PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,348.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:07PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,100.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:01PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,050.00 16 Jun 2017 at 3:31:03PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,004.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:01:19PM PDT
Post 67 IP   flag post
oops.
Post 68 IP   flag post
someone will list a 1:50 in a legit auction in the future. Just wait.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
someone will list a 1:50 in a legit auction in the future. Just wait.

If you will it... it will come.
Post 70 IP   flag post
"If you build it, (fill in the blank)"

This is another proof the Mandela Effect is real.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Would the bidding history below be suspicious to you? Looks like this is a private listing. Like I said, I worry about shill bids more when it's a private listing than if it's one that I can see bidders with (0) feedback.

Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends. Learn more about bidding. opens in new window or tab
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,373.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:02PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,100.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:04:01PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,050.00 16 Jun 2017 at 3:31:03PM PDT
private listing - bidders' identities protected $1,004.00 16 Jun 2017 at 6:01:19PM PDT

well...those dollar amounts at least don't seem like fake bids but who knows that's definitely a private listing.

This auction in particular with the Roiland variant tho... he wants it to be public for obvious price inflation reasons.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
The one that bothers me is Bid Retraction, one guy had 60 items bid on and 50 Bid retractions. Seen it a couple of times, basically running up the bid then forgetting there wallet. What ever happened if you bid on it you own it. Ebay should have also left in allowing leaving feed back against the customer, now it all against the seller.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well...those dollar amounts at least don't seem like fake bids but who knows that's definitely a private listing.

This auction in particular with the Roiland variant tho... he wants it to be public for obvious price inflation reasons.

My point is if the bidder's identities are hidden then how do I know they're not shill bids?
Post 74 IP   flag post
You won't.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what that means. What difference would knowing that it was different bidders make? I though hiding bidders would mask any type of shill bids since you won't know who the bidders are.
Post 76 IP   flag post
No not for the purposes of viewing bidders (which I bet he doesn't want) he wants the listing to be public and on record for those who do search "completed" or "sold" listings to gauge a market value or "wallet price" if you will
Post 77 IP   flag post
That makes sense, he's trying to pump and dump, an old stock market trick.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
My better question is where did he get 2 of them ? I just went to have a look. Sold one and this is the second at the same grade. Same book ? and if you are going to spend $1700 on a book this would not be my first choice. What is the book realistically worth in mint?
Post 79 IP   flag post
@vabchgent he didn't have two, it's still the same book, cause he sold it to himself.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600653 133 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?