Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS On-Site Grading at Tampa Bay Comic Con!308

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is excited to announce that we will offer On-Site Grading at the Tampa Bay Comic Con on August 5-7th!

More information about the event and pricing will be given closer to the date of the show.

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
I could have sworn I read somewhere, once upon a time... that CBCS would never offer this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I seem to recall hearing the same thing. Glad to hear that the powers that be decided to change their mind.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TheLiamSturgess private msg quote post Address this user
And boom goes the dynamite!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I knew I remembered seeing it somewhere. its under the FAQ's under general questions. I wonder how the long on-site grading would take.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This "on-site" grading isn't really the same as the other companies on-site grading. The convention is physically close to the CBCS headquarters. Books are going to be graded the same way any same day/next day submissions would be graded that were received in the mail or dropped off. Staff at the convention are going to bring books to CBCS for grading there. NOT onsite.

They say this is a test and if it goes well maybe they will set up a truly mobile grading unit/system.

I don't actually care one way or another. I do not attend many shows and I doubt I'd be interested in paying the higher prices even if I were at a show where on-site grading was offered. By either CBCS or CGC. But to the degree it makes other collectors/dealers see CBCS as an equal to CGC, it is a good thing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
Now that's clever. A quick trip across the bay to St. Pete, run 'em through the process, a nice drive back across the cool bridge and voila!

Interesting way to test the concept and see if there's enough money in to make it worth the travel and set up expenses.

Kudos to the Steves!

Ohm, and thanks to Tim, working the booth at Motor City, who I chatted with for quite a while Sunday morning. He answered a couple technical questions, inspected a book and gave me an opinion that confirmed mine, and talked for quite a while about various foreign editions from here and there around the globe.

Thanks Tim!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrick339
Now that's clever. A quick trip across the bay to St. Pete, run 'em through the process, a nice drive back across the cool bridge and voila!

Interesting way to test the concept and see if there's enough money in to make it worth the travel and set up expenses.

Kudos to the Steves!

Ohm, and thanks to Tim, working the booth at Motor City, who I chatted with for quite a while Sunday morning. He answered a couple technical questions, inspected a book and gave me an opinion that confirmed mine, and talked for quite a while about various foreign editions from here and there around the globe.

Thanks Tim!
Happy to help! Plus I always enjoy getting a chance to any of the great collectors or dealers in this fantastic hobby we all share.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
This "on-site" grading isn't really the same as the other companies on-site grading. The convention is physically close to the CBCS headquarters. Books are going to be graded the same way any same day/next day submissions would be graded that were received in the mail or dropped off. Staff at the convention are going to bring books to CBCS for grading there. NOT onsite.

They say this is a test and if it goes well maybe they will set up a truly mobile grading unit/system.

I don't actually care one way or another. I do not attend many shows and I doubt I'd be interested in paying the higher prices even if I were at a show where on-site grading was offered. By either CBCS or CGC. But to the degree it makes other collectors/dealers see CBCS as an equal to CGC, it is a good thing.

It's exactly the same as the on-site grading the cgc offers at MegaCon.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, that's exactly how CGC does it at Megacon.

But I'll be there in Tampa!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm not going to MegaCon this year due to real job commitments. That being said, I'm not sure I would want to since it's over Memorial Day weekend. Orlando is going to be busting out the seams.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

What premium?

Onsite grading is cheaper than subbing books with fast tracking added in.

At least for onsite grading by CGC, moderns valued under $250 is $25 a pop....at $25 a book, I'll be subbing close to 200 books at Wizard Philly...depending on how crazy I get with pressing before June 6th.

If I lived in FL, I'd be hitting the Tampa show instead for CBCS onsite.

Silver age is about the same,price wise... maybe a little more.I mostly deal with copper and moderns, not sure.I do have some a couple SA books, like a Blackhawk 133, a cherry Lois 106 put aside for Philly....anything more than a handful of SA....the overhead/time etc just gets too high.The return is usually higher on copper age, than silver.

Unless I'm subbing books in thru CL/CC for grading before they are auctioned, I prefer to have books graded onsite bc of the money being tied up for a good 7 or so weeks.On that basis, and with how much demand there is for CGC onsite grading, I think CBCS will do veeeeeery well with their first onsite grading venture

Mre to the point, it will help to further establish the CBCS brand.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I just heard that the cgc is raising prices for onsite grading from $25 to $30 for moderns. I wonder if it's true and if the other tiers are going up as well?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector TheLiamSturgess private msg quote post Address this user
Jim, did they make a public announcement anywhere? I'd love to take a peek
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
If you look at their online sub forms for Philly it shows the $5 increase
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiamSturgess

I don't know. I was told by someone planning on attending MegaCon to submit books. It may not be news to everyone, but it was news to me. So, I shared it.

I don't submit to onsite ever since last MegaCon when my Star Wars #1 came back a 9.0. I craked it back out, submitted it through a normal tier without having it pressed again, and it came back a 9.6.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiamSturgess

I don't know. I was told by someone planning on attending MegaCon to submit books. It may not be news to everyone, but it was news to me. So, I shared it.

I don't submit to onsite ever since last MegaCon when my Star Wars #1 came back a 9.0. I craked it back out, submitted it through a normal tier without having it pressed again, and it came back a 9.6.

That grading error, I believe, would be just as likely to happen if it was a standard mail in submission.

I have found that CGC onsite grading is as uniform as standard CGC grading.

I also expect onsite grading to be equally as uniform uniform with CBCS, as it is with CGC.

I'm also looking very forward, to the near future, when CBCS onsite grading at select cons is instituted into CBCS's committed platform.

By select cons, I am referring to (bigger) cons where the attendance figures justify the increased expense & workload.

CBCS has stated they will be using the Tampa Mega Con as a measuring stick, in order to decide if they will regularly offer onsite grading at these sorts of bigger cons.

I think they will be swarmed with submissions at Tampa and are either their statement had a tone of levity which I didn;t pick up on (very doubtful) or they are seriously underestimating the demand for onsite grading service.

I'll be subbing about a dozen SA & BA keys to CBCS at Garden State Comic Fest for regular (+ quick stream) grading, books that I didn't get prepped before Wizard Philly...would love to be able to sub these books at Tampa.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, a whole post without mentioning Preacher #1 9.8. Congrats!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector nevinem private msg quote post Address this user
Will on-site grading also have a grade screening application to it ? If I had 100 books but only wanted 9.8s would you still screen in the same fashion, or is my best bet to go through the normal channels ?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinem
Will on-site grading also have a grade screening application to it ? If I had 100 books but only wanted 9.8s would you still screen in the same fashion, or is my best bet to go through the normal channels ?
Grade screening will not be available for on-site submissions.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector nevinem private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

Thank you for the reply
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

Thank you for the reply
No problem at all. If you, or anyone else, has any questions about the on-site event feel free to ask in this thread of email me at tbildhauser@cbcscomics.com and I'll reply as quickly as possible.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Wow, a whole post without mentioning Preacher #1 9.8. Congrats!

Haha....I do love me some high grade Preacher's.

I think I may have to co-opt your Herr Starr avatar, that's a hilarious choice.
Post 24 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
We have posted more information, as well as the pricing for On-Site Grading at the Tampa Bay Comic Con on our website.
https://cbcscomics.com/2016tbcc

We look forward to seeing you at the show!
Post 25 IP   flag post
600638 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?