Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Police chatter so other threads aren't....3078

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
derailed with questions, and post on the subject.

I can't wait to see what gets written about in here.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it fit perfectly in the other off topic thread. The initial post was all about the police actions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Oh, since I was writing about out-of-date equipment and tactics earlier...those nurta-system, helmet wearing officers I wrote about in the other thread should be carrying Thompson submachine guns with the big round 50 round drum magazines.

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
When that Dallas shooter killed a bunch of cops a while back, my wife and I were driving off for vacation. We called in a stack of 10 pizzas to the local barracks at shift change for that afternoon. Deserved or not, Cops see the scum of the earth on a daily basis and they need to be reminded sometimes to see the forest not just the trees.

Lots of people on Facebook had a big friggin problem with what we did.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I think I misspelled nutrisystem too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Should have a 1 in front of it.

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
There are a ton of reasons to be a police officer. Sure, you have the chance to earn a good salary, excellent retirement benefits, and great health insurance for you and your family. Then there're those altruistic reasons that come with the job: public service, protecting your community and knowing that you're making a difference for the people around you. But the real secret is that, aside from all those practical reasons to becoming a police officer, the job is just plain fun. So, whether you're already on the job and just need a boost or you're on the fence about whether or not to step onto that thin blue line, here are the 11 best things about being a cop:

1. The cars

2. The toys

3. The training

4. The Camaraderie

5. Helping others

6. Saving lives

7. The respect

8. The responsibility

9. The authority

10. The excitement

11. Being able to actually do something about stupid people.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I admire those that take on what I consider one if the toughest jobs you can do. I feel I'm a pretty tough old cuss, but policemen are a large notch above with a thankless duty and plenty of sofa critics. I feel conditionfreak and Towmater have both served the public well. You've hashed it out, but now it's time to settle your differences. The arguments are nearing the "circular" state of affairs. So..... how about an internet virtual handshake between you two awesome beings????
Post 10 IP   flag post
Naw, I'm good.

I'm not mad, upset, frustrated, angry or even perplexed about towmater. Heck, I'm probably one of the few (if any others) here that knows what his screen name comes from.

I can have a disagreement, debate and discussion with someone and still respect them, without any animosity on my part. I love debating. Keeps me sharp countering the ideas of others.

And I am smart enough to know I ain't "all that and a slice of bread" when it comes to many things. But I am very, very, very good in some things. Like police work and pigeon racing.

What I don't like is when the name calling and personal insults start. Which usually happens on the internet.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

What I don't like is when the name calling and personal insults start. Which usually happens on the internet.

That's a pretty good indicator that you've "won" the argument. When those tactics start it's because they've run out of supporting evidence to back up their side of the debate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ha Ha I always win. Because I play by my own rules and my #1 rule is, I always win. #2 rule is, I am the judge, umpire and referee.

Your rules may vary from mine though.

Ha Ha Ha Ha
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ha Ha I always win. Because I play by my own rules and my #1 rule is, I always win. #2 rule is, I am the judge, umpire and referee.

Your rules may vary from mine though.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

you remind me of someone!

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Naw, I'm good.

I'm not mad, upset, frustrated, angry or even perplexed about towmater. Heck, I'm probably one of the few (if any others) here that knows what his screen name comes from.

I can have a disagreement, debate and discussion with someone and still respect them, without any animosity on my part. I love debating. Keeps me sharp countering the ideas of others.

And I am smart enough to know I ain't "all that and a slice of bread" when it comes to many things. But I am very, very, very good in some things. Like police work and pigeon racing.

This is officially 1/2 of the "virtual" handshake! My next task will be mid-east peace!!!šŸ˜Ž
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Heck, I'm probably one of the few (if any others) here that knows what his screen name comes from.

Uh, is it not Tow Mater? Or did that originate from a cop thing?

Post 16 IP   flag post
a towmater is a type of load-bearing tactical vest used by rural police departments
Post 17 IP   flag post
Lol! I was wayyyyy off!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Learn something new everyday.
Post 19 IP   flag post
And I thought rule #2 was "see rule #1"?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Heck, I'm probably one of the few (if any others) here that knows what his screen name comes from.

Uh, is it not Tow Mater? Or did that originate from a cop thing?

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

That's a pretty good indicator that you've "won" the argument. When those tactics start it's because they've run out of supporting evidence to back up their side of the debate.

You'd be wrong. I stopped because it served no purpose to continue. conditionfreak comes from a very different time or era in law enforcement than I do. Even though we overlapped, the beginning/middle part of my career to the middle/later part of his, the last 20 years in law enforcement have had huge changes in the way that business is conducted. If he retired in 2003, he's been 10-7, end of shift for 14 years. I've been retired for about 2 1/2 years. The training, tactics, and ways the job used to be done 14+ years ago do not mesh with today's tactics, policies, and ways of doing the job. Some things yes, but others - no way. It is an apples to oranges discussion. For example, my grandfather served warrants with my grandmother in his departmental vehicle in the early 1970's. If he had a problem she could see or hear while he served them he wanted her to use his in-car radio to call for assistance. That was how he attempted to inject some officer safety into his life. In today's world, law enforcement personnel carry hand-held units and cell phones. Having a discussion about the tactics my grandfather used is a funny footnote in the history of policing in my family. It isn't something I could apply now. He was in a very different era than the one I served a community within. I hope that makes sense.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Iā€™m not an ant. Iā€™m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There are a ton of reasons to be a police officer. Sure, you have the chance to earn a good salary, excellent retirement benefits, and great health insurance for you and your family. Then there're those altruistic reasons that come with the job: public service, protecting your community and knowing that you're making a difference for the people around you. But the real secret is that, aside from all those practical reasons to becoming a police officer, the job is just plain fun. So, whether you're already on the job and just need a boost or you're on the fence about whether or not to step onto that thin blue line, here are the 11 best things about being a cop:

1. The cars

2. The toys

3. The training

4. The Camaraderie

5. Helping others

6. Saving lives

7. The respect

8. The responsibility

9. The authority

10. The excitement

Amen brother I'm a thin blue line brother too.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@towmater I wasn't referring to you man just speaking generally about folks whose debates devolve in to petty name calling. I didn't see that from you
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
@towmater I wasn't referring to you man just speaking generally about folks whose debates devolve in to petty name calling. I didn't see that from you

OK
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:

1. The cars

2. The toys

3. The training

4. The Camaraderie

5. Helping others

6. Saving lives

7. The respect

8. The responsibility

9. The authority

10. The excitement

The average career in law enforcement is just over 3 years. The 12th best thing is that you'll know very quickly if the job is for you.

A very wise man once told me it was the best ticket to the wildest show you'll ever be a part of during your life. He was right. Most of the time I miss it. I don't miss it if I think about the paperwork you have to do now.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Naw, that can't be right. It is probably more like 20-24 years. You might be correct if you are talking about the average years we stay alive after retirement.

I agree with your second paragraph though. I'm a good typist so the paperwork didn't bother me too much.

I always tell my family and friends that it is what they watch on TV and in movies. But I lived it. Of course it ain't a shootout every day, and when you wreck the cities cars they tend to not give you another for awhile. But it beats working for a living. The stories I could tell. Exciting, funny, sad, sexy and terrible. All in one week. Ask me sometime about picking up two hookers at once, or picking up a male hooker. Far as I know, I am the only Cleveland Cop that ever did either of those.

They give you a gun, a badge, a car with a full tank of gas, and let you go out and stick your nose into other people's business. What's not to like?
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Towmater
It is an apples to oranges discussion. For example, my grandfather served warrants with my grandmother in his departmental vehicle in the early 1970's. If he had a problem she could see or hear while he served them he wanted her to use his in-car radio to call for assistance. That was how he attempted to inject some officer safety into his life. In today's world, law enforcement personnel carry hand-held units and cell phones. Having a discussion about the tactics my grandfather used is a funny footnote in the history of policing in my family. It isn't something I could apply now. He was in a very different era than the one I served a community within. I hope that makes sense.
==================================

APPLE ORANGE SMOOTHIE

2 large Ambrosia apples
2 navel or valencia oranges peeled
Small piece of ginger
Small pinch pepper powder
10 to 12 almonds or cashews

Throw all in blender. Hit ON button. Enjoy!!!!
šŸ˜Ž
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Naw, that can't be right. It is probably more like 20-24 years.

Again, the national average for a career in law enforcement in just over 3 years. Most people won't put up with the shift changes, the divorce rate, and the stress. Some can't activate their emergency equipment to make that first traffic stop when riding alone on their first shift after field training. (At one time, my PD had a 58% personnel turnover rate in a 12 month period. The average officer at one time had only 4 years of experience in patrol during that time period. It was a nightmare in personnel management.)

The town I now live in has a constant turnover in their personnel. It is just a national issue.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@Towmater
It is an apples to oranges discussion. For example, my grandfather served warrants with my grandmother in his departmental vehicle in the early 1970's. If he had a problem she could see or hear while he served them he wanted her to use his in-car radio to call for assistance. That was how he attempted to inject some officer safety into his life. In today's world, law enforcement personnel carry hand-held units and cell phones. Having a discussion about the tactics my grandfather used is a funny footnote in the history of policing in my family. It isn't something I could apply now. He was in a very different era than the one I served a community within. I hope that makes sense.
==================================

APPLE ORANGE SMOOTHIE

2 large Ambrosia apples
2 navel or valencia oranges peeled
Small piece of ginger
Small pinch pepper powder
10 to 12 almonds or cashews

Throw all in blender. Hit ON button. Enjoy!!!!
šŸ˜Ž

You were typing that for a very long time.
Post 29 IP   flag post
My nephew joined the Sheriff's department not too long ago. His first assignment required him to work at the county jail. About two weeks in he was attacked by an inmate. He quit immediately after that.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?