Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

ASM 365/Spidey 20993030

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, randomly I thought "would Spider-Man 2099 be a good speculation investment"? I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

A slabbed 9.8 sells for about $89 right now.

Also, I was considering the Toybiz 2nd print of Spidey 2099 #1. Finding a nice high grade raw copy has proven more of a challenge.

Books this new & newer aren't typically my thing. But I just wonder if it has room to grow.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Is this the spider-man 2099 you're thinking about?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192205390255
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, too many collectors are speculating on way too many Variants and stuff printed in the last 5-7 years. Graded comic books take up a lot of space and how long are they going to hold on to these books? My money is on 1981 and older. The art work is sooo much better, stories better, and try to find a 9.8 on anything over 45 years old. I have an INCREDIBLE HULK 102 graded by CBCS at a 9.6 !! I bought it off the comic book rack for 12¢ when it came out in 1968. For an almost 50 year old comic book it's worth $1,000.00. How many 9.6's or 9.8's are out there of this Hulk? So my question to you is this: How many are you going to buy (graded or not), where are you going to store them and how many years are you going to wait before you sell them. Remember: You're not the only speculator is out there. Also, how many were printed and slabbed. My HULK 102 will always to up in value because 9.6 is unheard of which makes it pretty rare. (Remember the BEANIE BABY craze)
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel if you had the same attitude 50 years ago you would have left that comic sitting on the rack and missed out. Go figure. You can't predict 50 years from now, but something that came off the rack today will be worth $1k, just don't know what that will be until it happens.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
If he'd had the same attitude then about new comics, he'd have a high grade Action Comics #1 in his collection. Hmmmm!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@KiloGraham That's the series. His first appearance was Amazing Spiderman #365.

As far as #1, The 2nd print is the one I am really looking for. It's much harder to find:

Here's one for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311882915378

@Rafel You're 100% correct that there are more speculators today sitting on higher grade books.

I'm just wondering if this could be one that doubles from where it is now.

Silver Age it's still my focus.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You are all forgetting about hyperinflation. Many of these books will retain value simply because the cost of living/goods rises along with everything else. I'm seeing this with my Turtle Toys even.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Rafel if you had the same attitude 50 years ago you would have left that comic sitting on the rack and missed out. Go figure. You can't predict 50 years from now, but something that came off the rack today will be worth $1k, just don't know what that will be until it happens.

True, what does a 10 year old kid know (me) but back then I bought it to read and for the fun of collecting. Never dreaming it would be worth so much 50 years later. The reason I have it was I bought 2 and didn't know it. My allowance was 25¢ a week and with comic books 12¢ (not including tax) that was a lot of money for a 10 year old.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
If he'd had the same attitude then about new comics, he'd have a high grade Action Comics #1 in his collection. Hmmmm!

Hahahaha!! I'm old but not that old. I do remember in 1974 reading in the newspaper (NOT news papyrus) that ACTION #1 the first SUPERMAN comic book sold for a record high of $1,804.00.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There's a big difference between now and 50 years ago. 50 years ago there were not that many speculators and very very very few people were keeping comics and storing them in the conditions we are now. Pick any book that debuted 50 years ago and see how many 9.4s and above there are compared to the quantity of #1s out now and have a 9.8 grade. Personally, I have ten different copies of just Batman Rebirth #1 at 9.8.

I say this as a variant collector, but I don't see many of them retaining their value over the long haul.

Speculating on a modern is just going to be dumb luck and will probably be the book that is some off the wall comic (think Walking Dead) and not a major title.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

There's a big difference between now and 50 years ago. 50 years ago there were not that many speculators and very very very few people were keeping comics and storing them in the conditions we are now. Pick any book that debuted 50 years ago and see how many 9.4s and above there are compared to the quantity of #1s out now and have a 9.8 grade. Personally, I have ten different copies of just Batman Rebirth #1 at 9.8.

Just like with stocks, you just never know. You may hit an outta park home run or strike out. Either way it's up to the person on how they want to invest for their future.

I say this as a variant collector, but I don't see many of them retaining their value over the long haul.

Speculating on a modern is just going to be dumb luck and will probably be the book that is some off the wall comic (think Walking Dead) and not a major title.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Bingo. The next big hit won't be expected. Like Batman Adventures 12, a kiddie comic book.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

Bingo. The next big hit won't be expected. Like Batman Adventures 12, a kiddie comic book.

Yeah, I really don't get why that book is so big.

Harley Quinn, blah blah blah. Just because it's a first appearance does not mean it's a good story.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

Yeah, I really don't get why that book is so big.

Harley Quinn, blah blah blah. Just because it's a first appearance does not mean it's a good story.

She's a cool character is all. While her first appearance may not stand out, "Mad Love" is a truly great story & shows her potential.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Hahahaha!! I'm old but not that old. I do remember in 1974 reading in the newspaper (NOT news papyrus) that ACTION #1 the first SUPERMAN comic book sold for a record high of $1,804.00.

That's why you beg mom and dad!
Fantastic Four #1 was $40 in my first comic catalog.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

That's why you beg mom and dad!
Fantastic Four #1 was $40 in my first comic catalog.

I did and bought 3,000 comic books (99% Marvel and 1% DC) for $1,000.00 in 1977.
Post 16 IP   flag post
So, for the Toybiz variant of Spidey 2099 #1, I've found the best strategy is to buy the figure MIB.

The comic alone costs as much if not more than the Legends figure it came with, new & sealed.

I figure it's also my best bet for getting a copy in decent shape.

I've made offers on just about every one for sale on e-bay at the moment & scored three at a decent price.

This has been a fun little hunt. Hopefully it pays off.
Post 17 IP   flag post
601338 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?