Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

As If I Didn't Need More Proof That Wizard3000

Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
is trying to ruin the comics industry.

Rob Liefeld First Inductee Into Wizard Hall of Legends

Didn't they do enough damage with their magazine?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the remaining 2 years balance in subscription fees back that I'm owed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

As a kid, I thought Wizard was amazing until the format change in the early 2000s. This is the only issue I have left and only because the goof dressed up as Doom was funny.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
"... established by the convention company to 'celebrate the artists, writers and insiders who have built the industry.'"

Right... i guess Steranko, Kirby, Kane, and Simon don't qualify. lmao
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Someone in the office had the list upside down and they accidentally started at the bottom?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
A poor kid in the early 90s, I bought a Wizard anytime I could get my grubby little paws on one, they were coveted!!

Last time I bought one was probably '93. If they were wrong or dumb or shady or whatever, I was too young to know (or care). Apparently they're still around and making dumb moves? Lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I mean, it kinda makes sense. Why would they recognize people outside of the Wizard Age of Comics
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Compare and contrast the following images.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Hmm, it appears that one is done by a very talented artist, and the other is a Liefeld.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the remaining 2 years balance in subscription fees back that I'm owed.

Oh man, they pulled this with me too. I renewed a subscription for a year the week they went out of biz. Had to dispute the charge to get funds back.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington

Oh man, they pulled this with me too. I renewed a subscription for a year the week they went out of biz. Had to dispute the charge to get funds back.

I have no idea who to get ahold of. I had my subscription renewed for like just short of 3 years. I assumed that I would get the refund on my remaining balance when it switched to free digital. But NOPE!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

As a kid, I thought Wizard was amazing until the format change in the early 2000s. This is the only issue I have left and only because the goof dressed up as Doom was funny.

I still have all mine! though currently they are all in plastic containers till I get a suitable bookshelf to put them on.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I don't particularly like either picture.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It is so funny to read the response that threads about Liefeld generate. Love him or hate him in the 1990's the guy sold a ton of comics. The guy helped create Deadpool, Cable, and Domino. He's one of the founders of Image which changed the comic industry and built it into what it is today. He's an artist, writer, and helped build the industry which is what Wizard is honoring.

When you look at their choice, they picked him because he is relevant in today's world due to Deadpool. People in all demographics know who he is or if they don't they know Deadpool. In other words, he moves the needle for a lot of reasons (good, or bad) which means that people will be talking about Wizard.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I would have never guessed this although it being a wizard thing it does make sense. Surprised they did choose McFarlane first.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I would have never guessed this although it being a wizard thing it does make sense. Surprised they did choose McFarlane first.

spaghetti webbing -drops mic-
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
It is so funny to read the response that threads about Liefeld generate. Love him or hate him in the 1990's the guy sold a ton of comics. The guy helped create Deadpool, Cable, and Domino. He's one of the founders of Image which changed the comic industry and built it into what it is today. He's an artist, writer, and helped build the industry which is what Wizard is honoring.

When you look at their choice, they picked him because he is relevant in today's world due to Deadpool. People in all demographics know who he is or if they don't they know Deadpool. In other words, he moves the needle for a lot of reasons (good, or bad) which means that people will be talking about Wizard.

He's kind of like an STD for comics. A lot of people have been exposed to his work, but it's not anything to be proud about.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I don't particularly like either picture.

But it's really, really good inking!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'm not sure what their criteria are, but there are better choices out there.

Even though I find him a bit of a self promoting diva, Stan Lee would have been a good choice.

Jack Kirby, Schuster, Bob Kane, Will Eisner etc...

If you want more modern artists, then there is Jim Lee, even Todd MacFarlane would have been a better choice.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I would've picked Jim Lee. He also helped change the comics land scape in the 90s, gave us some amazing X-men and has his hands in all things D.C. now so still very very relevant
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
He's kind of like an STD for comics. A lot of people have been exposed to his work, but it's not anything to be proud about.

Wizard is spreading STDs now?!? Damn glad I haven't touched one in over 20 years
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
I would've picked Jim Lee. He also helped change the comics land scape in the 90s, gave us some amazing X-men and has his hands in all things D.C. now so still very very relevant

If they wanted a modern artist, then he would have been my first choice. He's still very relevant, quite awesome at drawing. Not to mention, he's a really nice guy. Always welcoming to the fans, takes time to answer questions and will sign anything you give him.
Post 22 IP   flag post
They are probably desperate for attention. Picking the controversial creator handed it to them on a plate.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Looks like a female captain America. Little heavy on the top...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Looks like a female captain America. Little heavy on the top...

His abdomen is about a 12" past his chin. The front of his legs are 6"-8" in front of his chin. Where is the back his butt? Even with the front of his neck? This is far worse than having a big chest.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

Even though I find him a bit of a self promoting diva, Stan Lee would have been a good choice.

If you want more modern artists, then there is Jim Lee, even Todd MacFarlane would have been a better choice.

I guess you like the others missed the point of my post. The pick isn't about who is a better choice. It looks to me that it is about a name people inside and outside the industry know, different age demographics knowing the name, and controversy. It all adds up to people talking about Wizard. Sure looks like it worked.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Go out on the street and interview 1000 random people about who the following names are: Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld. I guarantee you that Liefeld is voted most likely to be "who the F is he?"
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Go out on the street and interview 1000 random people about who the following names are: Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld. I guarantee you that Liefeld is voted most likely to be "who the F is he?"

Of those names, I think only Stan Lee would be recognizable to people who don't collect comics.

Rob Liefeld is the only one of those people that I've seen in a nationally distributed TV ad. It was a Levi's ad if I recall correctly.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

I guess you like the others missed the point of my post. The pick isn't about who is a better choice. It looks to me that it is about a name people inside and outside the industry know, different age demographics knowing the name, and controversy. It all adds up to people talking about Wizard. Sure looks like it worked.

The old adage of "any publicity is good publicity" is pure BS.

Yes, I'll talk about Wizard, but they will not like what I have to say. It's a company that is wondering why the majority of their cons are losing money; I'll give them a hint, stop doing stupid crap like this.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Post 30 IP   flag post
598092 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?