Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Grail Call! Showcase #222992

Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
My wife got my Showcase #22 in the mail this morning and we were able to video chat while she opened it. I was practically shaking with excitement from over 7000 miles away. I made her wash her hands and get the Mylite 2 and 2 full backboards ready (thanks @CopperAgeKids for the suggestion), walked her through the whole process. Invoice for CBCS screen/press/grade is ready-to-go so she will package it and ship it out before the end of the week, take care of my baby @SteveRicketts!

Thanks @00slim for being with me on the forum as I made the deal happen, your quick responses helped me keep my cool during negotiations and get a fantastic price! And thanks to everyone else on the forum for the advice throughout my search, your help is greatly appreciated!

I'll make sure I update this thread with a #CBCSBOX reveal once I get home and get the book back from CBCS.

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That's a beautiful book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats nice find and looks in great Nick
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow - that has been my grail for awhile. Well done.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Beauty book!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice!
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice looking book nice grab. Its been towards the top of my want list for awhile.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Looks awesome, & glad to help. Looking forward to the unboxing & fingers crossed as far as grade, bro.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
*in his best Mafia gangster voice*

You did good Thanatos....you did good!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Do you venture a guess on the grade?

Just by the pics, without seeing the spine....I'll guess a 8.5-9.0...maybe 9.2.

Why?

Age will have caused 'ticks' to the spine, if bought 2nd hand
Back cover isn't bright white - maybe lite staining/'tanning'
Break in color in middle of right-side cover.

There could be more, but those seem obvious.

You"d know better than I.

Cheers....and it is still a pretty sharp book, nonetheless. Well worth a slab.

Good luck;!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
7.5 imo because of that spine
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice! I have a few books in for grading at the moment - once back in my hands - I'll share with you all.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Do you venture a guess on the grade?

Just by the pics, without seeing the spine....I'll guess a 8.5-9.0...maybe 9.2.

Why?

Age will have caused 'ticks' to the spine, if bought 2nd hand
Back cover isn't bright white - maybe lite staining/'tanning'
Break in color in middle of right-side cover.

There could be more, but those seem obvious.

You"d know better than I.

Cheers....and it is still a pretty sharp book, nonetheless. Well worth a slab.

Good luck;!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
7.5 imo because of that spine

Sadly, it'll likely get far less than either of these suggested grades. General consensus in the other thread are that it would get a 3.0 - 4.0. It presents very well but the spine has some tears and holes in it. Cover is still attached by both staples (my wife thought comics had 3 staples and said one was missing, I nearly died). Here are the pictures I received of the defects:

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
Since you wanted a nice copy for a keeper, I'm thinking you did really well.

The technical grade will be interesting because of that spine but it'll still look SUPER in a slab, and present very well on a display shelf.

Congrats and best wishes...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful book! :-)
Post 18 IP   flag post
News from CBCS! Received a refund email today, pressing fee was refunded after the presser (@SteveRicketts?) screened the book. So saved a little money and hopefully it goes to grading soon!
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I just now realized your avatar is Green Lantern Rick. Lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
News from CBCS! Received a refund email today, pressing fee was refunded after the presser (@SteveRicketts?) screened the book. So saved a little money and hopefully it goes to grading soon!

So why did you get the refund? Didn't press because it didn't need pressing?
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm glad you paid for screening with that book. I hoped it could be pressed but with some of the tears, I was thinking there could have been an issue.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
Quote:

So why did you get the refund? Didn't press because it didn't need pressing?

I would assume so, I haven't gotten to see the book in person but I figured I'd have @SteveRicketts screen/press it before grading. For all I know a press could have caused more damage to the spine or it could have just lacked any pressable defects. I'm a little sad I don't get any Rickett Pancakes but I trust his judgement.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I'm glad you paid for screening with that book. I hoped it could be pressed but with some of the tears, I was thinking there could have been an issue.

Better safe than sorry for sure.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Ladies and gentlemen, we are in GRADING!! #soon

Timing couldn't be more perfect
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I really hope that white shadow around the foxing isn't residue from someone trying to clean it with solvent. Fingers crossed for you bud!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, we are in GRADING!! #soon

Timing couldn't be more perfect

You've had the book for a month according to your first post's date. How did you ship it, get it into the presser, and get it into grading so fast?
Post 27 IP   flag post
So, we're hoping for 3.0-4.0 (based on what we can see) But based on what you paid, what is the lowest grade you'd be satisfied with?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

You've had the book for a month according to your first post's date. How did you ship it, get it into the presser, and get it into grading so fast?

My wife received the comic, checked for any missing pages (hope she didn't miss anything), rebagged it in mylite and had it shipped to CBCS with the invoice I made for it out here all in the same day. Didn't want to waste time in case I have to make a case on paypal if it comes back restored or incomplete. Based on age and value, Quickstream was my best bang for the buck and on the invoice I had asked @SteveRicketts to screen it before pressing and it looks like he decided that it either didn't need it or it would damage it so after a press refund it went to grading.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, we're hoping for 3.0-4.0 (based on what we can see) But based on what you paid, what is the lowest grade you'd be satisfied with?

Agreed, 3.0-4.0 is the goal!

This book has been seeing it's value rise more than I expected. Especially since there has been no official Green Lantern news in the Justice League movie but CGC 3.0s are selling for $1675-2100 and 4.0s are $2500+. So 3.0 - 4.0 unrestored would mean I got a great deal at $1250 + $100 for grading. I'd say 3.0 or higher would be my happy place but I'd be satisfied with a 2.5. I could definitely see this grading with a checkmark since it presents itself so well. I don't really know why but I'm most nervous about any potential restoration...
Post 30 IP   flag post
597877 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?