CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedPop CultureQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Growing trend of window bag signing comics2989

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Jimenez via Twitter

"...it's about control..."

Its about control? So this guy knows better than us all where his signature looks the best on OUR books. 👌🏻
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199
To some artists their signature can be creative as well. Maybe they want the freedom to make your book look better and put the signature where it looks best.

The problem is that "best" is relative to who owns the book. Someone might want a signature upside down or something silly. If some artists dont want to accommodate fans, so be it, but it just doesnt make them look good
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 the book is your property, that's precisely what I was referring to when I said property, and it was quite clear by the context I used when said "condition" (which refers to a books condition), I then went on to make entirely separate statement on desired placement of signature. At no time did I infer the signature as being property.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego understood. All good
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Towmater so the answer is the artist should make an assumption that people who don't want personal inscriptions are all flippers. That assumption is false.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego Then either pay the $ 150.00 extra or don't get it signed.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
This ol' chestnut seems to keep popping up on a regular basis recently.

I'm not overly worried about an artist wanting to have some element of control, even if they are my books. If there's a specific action that I can do to help the process from their point of view then i'm happy to accommodate

My issue is more how some people treat the books they are handed. I watched a celebrity sign one of my books at the weekend that was unprepped and removed from all packaging. They treated the book similar to how my wife or kids would treat them and i watched as the book folded in his hands with no care. Now admittedly someone within the comic industry would probably take more care but that would be my only concern without the boards and bag still attached. Its not whether its a 9.8 or a 9.6 but if someone treats your book badly enough to drop its grade considerably then thats not on.
Post 32 IP   flag post
BTW, the To _________ (fill in the blank) isn't my idea. If you are lucky enough to get Jim Lee to sketch you something it hasn't come with out the inscription in a very long time. Never heard of someone being mad that he does that.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I've been at some cons and the creator asks, "Who do I make this out to?" and I ackwardly answer , "uh, that's okay, just your name please" and I get a funny look.

yeah, I stopped going to conventions a while ago now. Ugggh. I'll stick with convention facilitators. Thank you.

I buy and sell. I keep what I want to keep, and I sell so I can make side money to buy more of what I want to keep. It's not my primary job. It's a hobby and nothing more. Buying/Trading/Selling. It's what collecting is about, right? Who cares what the intentions are, as long is there is no malice, no harm done. It's a free enterprise system last time I checked.
Post 34 IP   flag post
What ever happened to; when an individual who sets up to provide a service, and collects money in exchange for that service; having the philosophy of making your customers have a happy and pleasant experience by receiving the service they want?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Folks.. you may not like it.... and it may be your book. But just like Starlin, he/she/artist decides what they will or will not sign. That's just how it is and we all can complain as much as we want. Doesn't matter. It's his choice and we need to accept it and adapt/ move on.

Creators owe us "fans" nothing. They've already given it to us in the form of doing the best work they're capable of doing and hopefully it entertains us. Anything else is absolute gravy.

I appreciate that there are people who want to collect the way they want to collect, signatures included. I just wish those same people would respect the creators wishes, no matter how unfair it seems to them.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Creators owe us "fans" nothing. They've already given it to us in the form of doing the best work they're capable of doing and hopefully it entertains us. Anything else is absolute gravy.

I appreciate that there are people who want to collect the way they want to collect, signatures included. I just wish those same people would respect the creators wishes, no matter how unfair it seems to them.

AMEN!!!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a fan of signatures but my 10 yr old is. He reads and beats up almost every book he has and has a great time. Last con we went to, he packed up some of his well worn books to get signed by his favorite artist (Robert Pope- peanuts, looney tunes). He asked for the signatures in specific places because that where he thought it would look good. Pope was great with him. Son noticed another artist that worked on one of the books and approached and asked for a sig. Artist wouldn't sign an already signed, beat to death book that isn't worth a penny without personalizing it. He then proceeded to tell us he doesn't want the book flipped. Seriously? this book wouldn't be worth lining a bird cage. Son decided to pass on the sig.-- good for him and now the artist has one less fan. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
in any industry its such a shame when kids have to be impacted by the politics/nonsense. Their generation are the future of any industry.

whether someone wants to flip a book or not, for some just a signature looks better than a personalisation. I asked for 2 books not to be personalised on Saturday and just like @kaptainmyke i experienced a shady look. The books in question were for my personal collection as I just dont like messages on my books from a visual point of view, that doesnt mean i should have to pay more or that im less of a collector
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdcomics
in any industry its such a shame when kids have to be impacted by the politics/nonsense. Their generation are the future of any industry.

whether someone wants to flip a book or not, for some just a signature looks better than a personalisation. I asked for 2 books not to be personalised on Saturday and just like @kaptainmyke i experienced a shady look. The books in question were for my personal collection as I just dont like messages on my books from a visual point of view, that doesnt mean i should have to pay more or that im less of a collector

AMEN!!!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Another aspect to consider, some collectors don't have the means to attend conventions, and thus rely upon facilitators and sellers to acquire the signatures of creators they want. Does that make those people less deserving of being a fan because they couldn't see a creator in person? If a creator takes the attitude of "I only personalize because I don't want it flipped" then they have alienated that very fan base who relies on second hand sales. Things like this need to be explained to them because they are starting to very narrow minded and unrealistic attitudes towards signing and intentions and needs of the fan base.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Respect the creators choice whether you like it or not. It's their choice not yours.
Else keep having some whine with your cheese.

Signed
Amen
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Another aspect to consider, some collectors don't have the means to attend conventions, and thus rely upon facilitators and sellers to acquire the signatures of creators they want.

Bingo. I can see all sides to this debate, but this point seems to get missed. I can't take time away from work and family to go to the conventions that I want to. I rely on facilitators. For some of us, that's the only option available.

I worry creators think that anyone going through a facilitator is just a flipper.

I went as far one time to attach a note to one of my books explaining it was the first comic I ever bought to collect when I was a kid and that I appreciated that the creator was signing it. I think I wanted the creator to know the book wasn't just going to wind up on ebay (not that there's anything wrong with that). The creator was nice enough to sign the book and write a response to my note.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 No one is not respecting their choices. Not agreeing with their opinions does not equal disrespect. We are free in this country to speak out about things we disagree with.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Another aspect to consider, some collectors don't have the means to attend conventions, and thus rely upon facilitators and sellers to acquire the signatures of creators they want. Does that make those people less deserving of being a fan because they couldn't see a creator in person? If a creator takes the attitude of "I only personalize because I don't want it flipped" then they have alienated that very fan base who relies on second hand sales. Things like this need to be explained to them because they are starting to very narrow minded and unrealistic attitudes towards signing and intentions and needs of the fan base.

If the books are being provided by facilitators then I hope that person or company has set-up a private signing. They can work out what the fees are and how things will be done before hand and the price. If they aren't doing that then they should be.

The people that except an artist to sign a pile of 50 or more books are dicks or dickheads (I finally got to use that - thanks Jesse_O). They hold up the line, and more than likely are the reason that artist are starting to want to control their signatures.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user
I love getting books signed and mostly I keep them for my personal collection - but - I am liquidating a big part of my collection the next couple of months because I have to have my knee replaced. So yeah, signature placement & condition matter - even for books I intend to retain. Life doesn't always cooperate. Sometimes I use signature windows & sometimes I don't - if the book is less than VF - I typically don't bother.

The thing is - when I walk up to a creator and I don't like their restrictions or their price or their handler or their attitude, well, I don't buy their signature/sketch/original artwork - and if the torque me off enough, I stop buying their work - if they are still producing new work. I've left more than one creator standing there staring blankly while I shrugged, said "no thanks, I'll get someone else's signature", and walked off.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@DarthLego ...yes you do; but ultimately you and everyone else will abide by their choice whatever silliness or brilliance or other that it may be
Post 47 IP   flag post
Creators are making these decisions based upon misconceptions about the hobby. I don't think wanting to correct those misconceptions should be viewed as disrespect for creators, it's precisely the opposite. We want creators to understand their fans and the hobby.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeK
I love getting books signed and mostly I keep them for my personal collection - but - I am liquidating a big part of my collection the next couple of months because I have to have my knee replaced. So yeah, signature placement & condition matter - even for books I intend to retain. Life doesn't always cooperate. Sometimes I use signature windows & sometimes I don't - if the book is less than VF - I typically don't bother.

The thing is - when I walk up to a creator and I don't like their restrictions or their price or their handler or their attitude, well, I don't buy their signature/sketch/original artwork - and if the torque me off enough, I stop buying their work - if they are still producing new work. I've left more than one creator standing there staring blankly while I shrugged, said "no thanks, I'll get someone else's signature", and walked off.

You have that ability to do so. People like Stan Lee, Rob Liefeld, McFarland, Lee, and Miller can set the rules on how the public gets a signature, and what they will pay for it. Fanboys will be more than happy to wait in line to do exactly what they want to get those signatures, spend 1 minute in front of them, and pay some big prices to do it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Nuffsaid111 the book is your property, that's precisely what I was referring to when I said property, and it was quite clear by the context I used when said "condition" (which refers to a books condition), I then went on to make entirely separate statement on desired placement of signature. At no time did I infer the signature as being property.

I just view this differently. To me it's like going to get the oil changed in your car, and you tell the mechanic, "look, this car is mint and the oil cap still has a factory seal on it, so if you could flip the car upside down and please put the oil back in the car through the drain plug hole."

The one thing I hate is standing in line and the mountain of people in front of me taking their sweet time to make sure the artist signs in the right place.

What right do we have to put demands on the artist?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
The one thing I hate is standing in line and the mountain of people in front of me taking their sweet time to make sure the artist signs in the right place.

Window bags solve precisely that problem.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:

The artist took it upon themselves to offer a service (their signature) in exchange for cash...the customer has every right to request that their property (the book) be handled and serviced to their satisfaction.

Now if the artist is signing for free then they owe no expectations of service because they are not soliciting a service for money.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Window bags solve precisely that problem.

Not in my experience. That's usually the same guy who keeps it in three layers of protection. I literally stood behind a guy and watched him pull a book out of a padded envelope, which was in a box, which was in a messenger bag. Then he handled it like he was working with uranium.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics I believe that it was plutonium; not uranium. Please - facts only. 😄
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The artist took it upon themselves to offer a service (their signature) in exchange for cash...the customer has every right to request that their property (the book) be handled and serviced to their satisfaction.

Now if the artist is signing for free then they owe no expectations of service because they are not soliciting a service for money.

Just like any other business, both sides have the right to ask for certain compensations, but then both sides have to agree.

My theory is simple, if you don't like the demand, then take your business elsewhere.

I doubt this will actually hurt his demand. McFarlane and Miller are the two biggest divas out there when it comes to signing books in front of witnesses, and if they made this demand everyone would moan about it, but everyone would bend to their will before they bent to ours.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601274 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?