Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedPop CultureQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Growing trend of window bag signing comics2989

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

It appears more creators are following the "ice bucket challenge of conventions". Yellow labels will soon become even more of a rarity from some of your beloved creators.

edit:

Actually I went to Phil's twitter account and read all the comments since I have nothing better to do with my life...

He clarified by stating:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Jimenez via Twitter

"...just take it out of the bag and I'll sign it..."

and

"...it's about control..."

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It might just be aggravating for signing with those windows, but maybe more than that.
If irritating to one it will be irritating to another
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't this done with the purpose of having it graded to be sold? That's how it was explained to me but I could be wrong on that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about the rest of you but I am tired of getting books signed only to have the grade reduced for finger bends or other damage caused by the artist during signing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Abrowncoat private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpike
Isn't this done with the purpose of having it graded to be sold? That's how it was explained to me but I could be wrong on that.

Not necessarily. I enjoy getting comics signed at cons that I never intend to have graded, but that doesn't mean I don't care about their condition.

Additionally, even when you only have one or two books to be signed, it can be a pain to find a place to take the books out of the bag and then go find an empty space to put them back in the bag. I've never done window bags, but every time I go to a convention I start wishing I had.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It is a lot easier to keep the lines moving when everyone has their books prepped.

Otherwise people are left to wait as books are removed from their bags and boards.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I don't blame him. I can see how it would be aggravating. Constricting the space for an autograph probably takes a physical toll on a person. Especially if he has been signing for hours and hours.

I always have my books out and ready to be signed. I try to be courteous the others in line behind me
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Why should an artist care about the condition of your book?

I just take the book out and have it signed. If they bring the grade down, so be it. I'd rather have a 9.4 signed Frank Miller DK book Vs a 9.8 non-signed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I get a lot of my books signed and graded, but I don't sell them. I window bag them so the signature is in a place that I think will look good for overall eye appeal when I display them (there are some examples out there of terrible signature placement by the artist/writer).

Also, I am told that window bagging speeds things up b/c the artist doesn't have to fidget with bag and board or be asked to sign in a certain spot.

Jimenez can do what he wants with his signature. If he doesn't like window bags, he doesn't like them. But I don't see why it has to be such a big deal that he refuses sign b/c of them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:

I get a lot of my books signed and graded, but I don't sell them. I window bag them so the signature is in a place that I think will look good for overall eye appeal when I display them (there are some examples out there of terrible signature placement by the artist/writer).

Also, I am told that window bagging speeds things up b/c the artist doesn't have to fidget with bag and board or be asked to sign in a certain spot.

Jimenez can do what he wants with his signature. If he doesn't like window bags, he doesn't like them. But I don't see why it has to be such a big deal that he refuses sign b/c of them.

I like learning stuff from you guys
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
I dont understand his problem with them, it's my book, if I want it signed in a particular spot it's my call, not his. Plus like someone already stated, it's a precaution to keep the books from getting damaged. I know I've seen people sign books many times & cringe at how they're handling the book
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Gotta at least TRY to get a 9.8 yellow label. To do that, you have to use tape. TAPE. What I do with my books is my business. What's funny is I have a very large number of books getting signed and graded - and not a single one is Phil Jimenez.

I had at least 8 books getting signed by J Scott Campbell at Megacon. I strategically placed the blue tall rectangle sideways to the right of each cover of ASM for him to sign. I know that's how he likes to sign his books. I even sent in neon sharpie markers to do something a little different.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Folks.. you may not like it.... and it may be your book. But just like Starlin, he/she/artist decides what they will or will not sign. That's just how it is and we all can complain as much as we want. Doesn't matter. It's his choice and we need to accept it and adapt/ move on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Actually I went to Phil's twitter account and read all the comments since I have nothing better to do with my life...

He clarified by stating:
Quote:

and

Probably not a big deal imo
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

He clarified by stating:
Quote:

and

Probably not a big deal imo

Some twitter conversations are much more interesting to read... lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Why does he want so much control? Why is it his business where a paying customer wants the signature to go? He's gonna be loosing a lot of fans and business.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Let's all be honest though, Jimenez isn't even a big enough talent for this to even matter lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
The dread "9.8 syndrome" hits again. God forbid my 2017 Modern $2.99 book doesn't come back as a 9.8... lolol.
I love this hobby.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Well I'm not crying about it if it's not a 9.8 but if you have a book that has four or five different people signing it at 3 or 4 totally different conventions? It just makes the condition as high as possible with so many human hands touching it imo
Post 20 IP   flag post
God forbid a person actually want their property they paid for to stay in as good condition as possible and get a signature placement they will be happy with for the next 30 years.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Their signature is not your property until the signature is obtained. Then and only then is it your property
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

the purpose of CGC/ CBCS isn't to sell only. If I spent a ton of money on a comic, know a book is worth a ton, a con variant, or hell... was signed by a creator that charges then hell yes I'm getting that bitch graded. if I had multiples then yeah i might sell the extras at some point but I rarely would ever do that.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a clue why this is such a big deal. He like other artist want to control their signatures and what is done with them. McFarlane controls his signature. If you want a yellow label one then it has to be done under his "rules". This isn't any different.

I finally figured out how artist can figure out what books are going to be flipped by flippers/end up on eBay and those sought out by fans. All they have to do is say it is once price for a book that has a To: ___________ (fill in the blank) and once that doesn't. Those that don't have a To: ___________ (fill in the blank) are $ 150.00 more than those that do have it. Pretty simple and you'd know who the flippers are, and who the businesses that are collecting money to have signatures on books. If they don't want to do that then sign everything to the person's name standing in front of them. Again, pretty simple.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
I window bag if I get Stan Lee's signature or an artist with a huge line.

When I saw Keith Pollard signing at some random con, I took some nice books for him to sign unbagged. He then took time to patiently sign in the bottom corner next to his printed signature. They look exactly the same and you would have a hard time discerning which one was signed in person. That is different. That is cool. A window bag would have prevented that and the NCB crease he left on the cover.

To some artists their signature can be creative as well. Maybe they want the freedom to make your book look better and put the signature where it looks best.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Its about control? So this guy knows better than us all where his signature looks the best on OUR books. 👌🏻
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199
To some artists their signature can be creative as well. Maybe they want the freedom to make your book look better and put the signature where it looks best.

The problem is that "best" is relative to who owns the book. Someone might want a signature upside down or something silly. If some artists dont want to accommodate fans, so be it, but it just doesnt make them look good
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 the book is your property, that's precisely what I was referring to when I said property, and it was quite clear by the context I used when said "condition" (which refers to a books condition), I then went on to make entirely separate statement on desired placement of signature. At no time did I infer the signature as being property.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DarthLego understood. All good
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Towmater so the answer is the artist should make an assumption that people who don't want personal inscriptions are all flippers. That assumption is false.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596795 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?