Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Question About 4 Mil Mylar2971

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased some egerbers (725M4) 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 4 mil mylar sleeves along with their recommended (700FB) fullbacks 7 x 10 1/2. The fullback is extremely tight in the sleeve and I cannot fit a comic in with them. I have to trim the Fullback a little less than an 1/8 of an inch for the comic to be able to fit and the book is super tight.

I recently cracked a 9.8 CGC slab, I really didn't look the book over too much, and placed the book in the 4 mil mylar. After a couple weeks I pulled out the book to look at it and plain as day there is a good sized color break on the spine.

Did I just miss this or could it have been caused by the mylar being too tight? The full backs fit without resistance in the same size 2 mil mylar sleeves. I really like the protection (thickness) of the 4 mil but I can't help but wonder if it is possibly putting too much pressure on the books and damaging them.

Anybody use or have experience with 4 mil sleeves and full backs?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the color break could be caused by the bag/board combo itself, but if it's too tight I could see it happening when you put it in if it's too tight?

Personally, I use the 2-mil bags with full-backs for my better books, and mylites+ (1.5mil?) with half-backs as my "normal" bag/board combo. If things are too tight, you need to try a larger bag I think. Also, if it matters, I use "standard" size for my books - that may be larger than what you're using, I'd have to check the product ID numbers. I only use the gold/silver sizes when the standard are too tight or too small.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I buy mylites 2mil and full backs....never had a problem. I buy silver/gold and put my moderns in them...I like the extra room.

I've had to trim some half backs...not sure why they were a problem and not the full backs...weird.

Sorry is doesn't answer you question, but thought I'd offer where my success and failures have been.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
Yea i was having the same prob. I guess I would say it's your preference on how you want your comics stored. I like to use one size bigger then what is recommended. Like I use silver age Mylar 4s for my bronze age comics so they have room to lay nice and flat. What i did is bought a pack of the different sizes to see what i liked and what worked best for me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Drogio @Thearrow Do either of you have concern that there will be too much room for the books to move around With the larger bags?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I haven't had a prob with them moving in the bag. With Mylar 4s being so thick and with a full back the comic didn't move at all. I push the air out of them starting from the bottom and then hold my hand at the top and then folding the flap over.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
@Drogio @Thearrow Do either of you have concern that there will be too much room for the books to move around With the larger bags?

I've always liked to have room around the book, and have found that when sealed snugly with tape they don't move easily. I'm betting that the odds of damage from movement (rubs and such) are less than the odds of corner damage in handling. I could be wrong, but I do like having a white frame of board around the "floating" comic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I like using 4 mil with fullbacks, I get them in silver age size and the moderns fit good without being too tight.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DarthLego do you use the silver age full backs or a size smaller fullbacks?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I use 775m4 and 750FB
Post 10 IP   flag post
My fullbacks are egerber standard size.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer EGerber Standard Sized Mylite2 with full back boards.

I purchased a 50 pack of EGerber 4Mil Sleeves by accident and did not care for the style.

If anybody is interested in these I would sell the pack(48/I used two of them)

$14 postage Paid

Pay-Pal Friends & Family Only to: johnclayes@comcast.net

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I use BCE Mylar with BCE Time xtender backing boards instead of E. Gerber products. I personally think they are better, and i've watched the Gerber boards specifically dwindle in thickness over the last decade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector luckroy private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are over thinking this. I use generic brand cling film wrapped twice around each book. It makes it difficult to slide just one book out of the box, but grabbing 10 at a time is a breeze. Do not use premium brand cling wrap since it is too good and tears much better than the cheap stuff. When I want to board a book, I find some reclaimed barn wood and attach it using a standard staple gun, one in each corner through the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearrow
I haven't had a prob with them moving in the bag. With Mylar 4s being so thick and with a full back the comic didn't move at all. I push the air out of them starting from the bottom and then hold my hand at the top and then folding the flap over.

Concur with Thearrow. Never had a problem. The tighter the fit the more likely corner damage or the cover "wrapping" around the free edges...not sure what this is called, but many of my older comics "bronze/modern" comics have this if I packed them in smaller/standard bags. Like Thearrow I place the boarded comic on another full back (face down) and gently squeeze the air out before sealing. Like vacaboca I like the white boarder around it too.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckroy
You guys are over thinking this. I use generic brand cling film wrapped twice around each book. It makes it difficult to slide just one book out of the box, but grabbing 10 at a time is a breeze. Do not use premium brand cling wrap since it is too good and tears much better than the cheap stuff. When I want to board a book, I find some reclaimed barn wood and attach it using a standard staple gun, one in each corner through the book.

Weeellllll-doggies... (this thread runs in Ebsen flows)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckroy
Are you kidding? Sounds weird.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@mattness I use the standard size 2 Mil E Gerbers with half backs. Have not had any problems with that combination.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I purchased some egerbers (725M4) 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 4 mil mylar sleeves along with their recommended (700FB) fullbacks 7 x 10 1/2. The fullback is extremely tight in the sleeve and I cannot fit a comic in with them. I have to trim the Fullback a little less than an 1/8 of an inch for the comic to be able to fit and the book is super tight.

I recently cracked a 9.8 CGC slab, I really didn't look the book over too much, and placed the book in the 4 mil mylar. After a couple weeks I pulled out the book to look at it and plain as day there is a good sized color break on the spine.

Did I just miss this or could it have been caused by the mylar being too tight? The full backs fit without resistance in the same size 2 mil mylar sleeves. I really like the protection (thickness) of the 4 mil but I can't help but wonder if it is possibly putting too much pressure on the books and damaging them.

Anybody use or have experience with 4 mil sleeves and full backs?

4mil is too thick/rigid, to begin with, and if youre cutting full backs just to fit a book into the bag....the combination of pressure and a cut to fit board could easily cause a spine tick.

Add in the fact that it 4 mil Mylar is too thick to score the flap.

An unscored (I use my thumbnail to score flaps before bagging/boarding books) flap on a Mylite2 will leave an air pocket behind the flap.

Air pockets behind flaps lead to all kinds of potential problems.

I personally use Gerber Mylite2's and Full backs.All standard.

I use THREE fullbacks + 1 silver age (BCW cheapo board as a space filler)
, per modern book, in a Mylite2.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Ok..... So best combo that covers all or most scenarios is silver/gold 2 mil bags with either modern half back or full back boards???
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Ok..... So best combo that covers all or most scenarios is silver/gold 2 mil bags with either modern half back or full back boards???
No, the Gold are way to big for most comics. The book could move around too much which could lead to damage.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Taste great....less filling....
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
4mil is too thick/rigid, to begin with, and if youre cutting full backs just to fit a book into the bag....the combination of pressure and a cut to fit board could easily cause a spine tick.

Add in the fact that it 4 mil Mylar is too thick to score the flap.

An unscored (I use my thumbnail to score flaps before bagging/boarding books) flap on a Mylite2 will leave an air pocket behind the flap.

Air pockets behind flaps lead to all kinds of potential problems.

I personally use Gerber Mylite2's and Full backs.All standard.

This is my recommendation and the combination I use as well.

I very much agree the 4 Mil sleeve are too thick
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
No, the Gold are way to big for most comics. The book could move around too much which could lead to damage.

So silver bags and modern boards
Post 24 IP   flag post
If you can't score a 4 mil flap you need to lift some weights brah!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Also, 4 mil is not too thick when used properly. You have to either use half backs or size your bags one size up. When you actually know what you're doing they work fine.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Woah! Might as well put the book on a cinderblock and bag it up lol
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Quote:

Woah! Might as well put the book on a cinderblock and bag it up lol

That is the idea, in a way.

Protecting a spine is key when subbing books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

So silver bags and modern boards

No.

For bronze/coppers/moderns, only use Standard M2's with Standard Full Backs.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Also, 4 mil is not too thick when used properly. You have to either use half backs or size your bags one size up. When you actually know what you're doing they work fine.

This is not good advice.

You are giving away the rigidity of a thicker, and wider, support system when you opt to use half back moderns in a atandard Mylite4.

You are trading in the much more valuable benefit of keeping spine ticks away for a harder bag. You basically are creating a pressurized bag, which by nature, stresses a books' spine.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600820 50 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?