Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

CBCS vs CGC Regrade Results 1st Wave2927

Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the 9.6/9.8 differential folks are mentioning was not a financial zing. Clearly there is major difference financially.
It was (I believe) intended to knock on how silly different financially the two are for what essentially imperceptible and a graders bad day (9.6) or good day (9.8). It's all quite crazy when 0.2 is clearly not absolute
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@BigRedOne1944 You do realize that the book must be removed for grading right? If it fails the grade screen you set you're getting back a raw book.


NO I did NOT realize that! That is not the way it works with TPGing sports Cards. They ONLY remove it after reviewing it and deeming it able to cross.

Do you know this first hand? Anybody Else send in slabbed books that did not pass and get back raw books?

Considering a trading card has only two sides it'd be far more reasonable to screen a card from the previous case.

If a comic book is missing a page, for example, that is not something you could tell from inside a slab and would certainly affect the pre-screen. Basically the interior of the book is a substantial part of the grade and no one can reasonably pre-screen a comic by just looking at it through the slab.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I might suggest adding pressing to your order. It will double the turnaround time & obviously cost extra, but it would decrease the possibility of a grade drop.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@BigRedOne1944 You do realize that the book must be removed for grading right? If it fails the grade screen you set you're getting back a raw book.


NO I did NOT realize that! That is not the way it works with TPGing sports Cards. They ONLY remove it after reviewing it and deeming it able to cross.

Do you know this first hand? Anybody Else send in slabbed books that did not pass and get back raw books?

Considering a trading card has only two sides it'd be far more reasonable to screen a card from the previous case.

If a comic book is missing a page, for example, that is not something you could tell from inside a slab and would certainly affect the pre-screen. Basically the interior of the book is a substantial part of the grade and no one can reasonably pre-screen a comic by just looking at it through the slab.



I guess that's more than true. I just Email CBCS Customer service to request they Grade screen be removed for the invoice. I'll call first thing tomorrow as well. Hopefully their customer service is all everyone has claimed.

Thanks Guys
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My first wave of CGC regrades just shipped.

Book 1:
Blue Label
CGC 9.4 ... CBCS 9.4

Book 2:
Blue Label
CGC 9.6 ... CBCS 9.6

Book 3:
Yellow label
3 sigs, 2 with remark sketches
CGC 9.8 ... CBCS 9.8

WOOT WOOT!!!

P.S. No pressing was done.
Post 30 IP   flag post


COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
3 out of 3 brah wow
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So, say, hypothetically, out of 30 comics, how many would you say would come back as 9.8s from CBCS?
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm counting 11 grade changes out of 32 slabs in this thread so far.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
About 33%
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Small sample size, but it's looking like the odds of staying same grade are 2 out of 3.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Good thread guys. Love data. "In God we trust, all others bring data"... lol
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's not bad numbers but I'd still like better odds. Interesting.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
We need more sample data.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I have received the last of my order containing all my CGC books that I wanted to be regraded by CBCS. There was a total of 22 books. Red indicates a grade drop, Blue a grade jump and purple is for the books that were pressed. I hope some find this info interesting / helpful.


Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow that's really great info

Thanks!
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That brings us up to 38 out of 54 that have stayed same grade. Just a hair above 70% chance of keeping same grade.
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I want to send this in to switch it over but I'm scared it will fall in grade


Post 42 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I took the risk on my Kevin Eastman/Robert Rodriguez zombie turtle remark sketched #50 and it came back 9.8.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be sending in a few more CGC slabs #soon.
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I'll be sending in a few more CGC slabs #soon.
Ok so I know if I decide to do it, it has to go in slabbed still. But what is the charge is it 16 for a modern along with the five dollar fee or is it something different?
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oooo such a pretty book brah
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
That's a seriously sweet book.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I would point out that it is very likely that if you took 15-20 CGC graded 9.8's and sent them BACK TO CGC that it would not be surprising for several to drop to 9.6.

The bottom line is that with all the grading companies, 9.8 represents the highest grade you are going to get. So if you start with books that already grade 9.8 and send them back in to be regraded - to ANY COMPANY INCLUDING THE ONE THAT GRADED THEM TO BEGIN WITH - you really have no place to go but down. Your chances of increasing to 9.9 are nill, but your chances of dropping to 9.6 are substantial.

CBCS and CGC grade similar. Period.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I would point out that it is very likely that if you took 15-20 CGC graded 9.8's and sent them BACK TO CGC that it would not be surprising for several to drop to 9.6.

The bottom line is that with all the grading companies, 9.8 represents the highest grade you are going to get. So if you start with books that already grade 9.8 and send them back in to be regraded - to ANY COMPANY INCLUDING THE ONE THAT GRADED THEM TO BEGIN WITH - you really have no place to go but down. Your chances of increasing to 9.9 are nill, but your chances of dropping to 9.6 are substantial.

CBCS and CGC grade similar. Period.


I wasn't trying to get any higher than a 9.8 by resubmitting my books. I just wanted to have my collection graded by CBCS.
Post 49 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I'll be sending in a few more CGC slabs #soon.
Ok so I know if I decide to do it, it has to go in slabbed still. But what is the charge is it 16 for a modern along with the five dollar fee or is it something different?

Yes, it's the regular tier price plus the $5 ASP fee, same as if it was a raw con submission.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Also keep in mind the vintage of a book. I think it is quite possible for a 9.8 modern to stay the same but more likely for a high grade silver age book to drop. The chances of there being defects on a silver book are likely greater given age.
Post 51 IP   flag post
169948 51 26
destitute