Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Set 9.8 Civil War 1 free?2923

Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Looking for some thoughts other than the voices in my head...

I've got a 9.8 CW #1 that I'm thinking about taking to Balt CC in a few months and having cracked as Steve McNiven is scheduled to appear. I'm thinking that this would make a nice addition to my signature collection. I understand I may not get the same grade but just thought it be a 'nice to have' item.

Anyone else ever do this and have the book returned with a drastically different grade?

thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I am not saying that cracking the book out for the signature is a bad idea but I would advise that you proceed with caution.

With a 9.6 with or without press there is always a chance you could get a 9.8 the next time around. Graders are human after all. With a 9.8 the odds of getting a higher grade are very small.

My suggestion would be to look the book over very carefully before cracking it out of the case. If the book looks perfect then proceed. If you see anything, and I mean anything wrong that the graders might have missed you might want to be happy with the grade you have.

If everything looks good, assume for the moment that it will come back with a 9.6 yellow label and ask yourself if you would prefer that to the 9.8 you have now. If not you should roll the dice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you're concerned about maximizing the grade and you are willing to put the extra wait time on it, might be a good idea to have Steve press it before grading (I'm assuming you are going to have CBCS grade it). Either way, I would suggest cracking it and preparing it with a window bag to minimize handling.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I must admit I had no idea what this thread was about when I read the title.

Now that I've read it, I agree completely with @drchaos. Can you assume the risk? What if it comes back at 9.4 or 9.2?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes the risk is worth taking

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Only one thing to say...

Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! I couldn't pass up the chance to get Ross but I'm so happy the book kept its grade
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hamfoo private msg quote post Address this user
If you are willing to potentially take a hit on the grade. I had a Shield silver age #1 graded 9.4 come back with yellow label 8.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
Given how much that book has cooled down, have you considered buying another copy and getting it signed and graded? This would keep the investment of the 9.8 intact and you can still have the signed copy as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Woooow. Now that is a beautiful book!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squack
Given how much that book has cooled down, have you considered buying another copy and getting it signed and graded? This would keep the investment of the 9.8 intact and you can still have the signed copy as well.

Great idea.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drbearsec private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Looking for some thoughts other than the voices in my head...

I've got a 9.8 CW #1 that I'm thinking about taking to Balt CC in a few months and having cracked as Steve McNiven is scheduled to appear. I'm thinking that this would make a nice addition to my signature collection. I understand I may not get the same grade but just thought it be a 'nice to have' item.

Anyone else ever do this and have the book returned with a drastically different grade?

thanks.

1) I would not crack it yourself. I'd ask the people at the CBCS booth to do it. If they won't, then crack it yourself, but of course be careful.

2) It is always a risk. That being said, I've had most books come back the same, 2 books come back with a higher grade and 1 come back with a lower (about 2 points).

3) If this is for personal, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just be careful on the crack... use a pro if possible... get it witnessed and signed and then reslabbed and enjoy!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Sometimes the risk is worth taking

Yeah, although I'd have preferred Ross to sign elsewhere on the cover but that's just me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfoo
If you are willing to potentially take a hit on the grade. I had a Shield silver age #1 graded 9.4 come back with yellow label 8.5

Ouch... that's a hit.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Drbearsec
Yeah, although I'd have preferred Ross to sign elsewhere on the cover but that's just me.

Shows how subjective artwork is to different admirers. I like the semi-hidden contrast of the sig which offsets the open air sigs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Drbearsec

Shows how subjective artwork is to different admirers. I like the semi-hidden contrast of the sig which offsets the open air sigs.

That's fair... I just don't like my signatures on significant parts of the artwork is all.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
And I'll add that the space right under 'Harley' would have looked nice as well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this set signed but all are raw so I appreciate your dilemma. If it were me, I would keep the 9.8 and get a nice 9.4ish raw to have signed if this was just for the experience/memory.

If this is for resale, not sure that it is worth the risk and additional fees; not in my opinion.
Post 18 IP   flag post
597895 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?