Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASP

ASP Witness Rules Question2878

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Could someone from CBCS answer the following in this thread about the ASP yellow label witness rules:

Does CBCS allow books that are going to be a part of the ASP Yellow Label program to be dropped off by a witness, signed and/or sketched upon without the witness physically seeing them signed, then picked up later by the witness to be submitted as a part of the ASP program?

I ask as CBCS website states that "all comic books submitted under the Authentic Signature Program have been signed or sketched in the presence of a CBCS Authorized Witness and immediately submitted for grading and encapsulation". Which indicates that dropping the books off isn't allowed. This question was generated due to what has been posted on about yellow labels over the last week.

Thanking whomever answers the above question in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
That is how it works for sketches. A witness only needs to be present to take custody of the signed/finished sketch from the artist.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
That is how it works for sketches. A witness only needs to be present to take custody of the signed/finished sketch from the artist.

What is? That it can be dropped off? That isn't what the CBCS website states is allowed. Again it states, "all comic books submitted under the Authentic Signature Program have been signed or sketched in the presence of a CBCS Authorized Witness and immediately submitted for grading and encapsulation
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
using legal terms being in "the presence of" a creator who drops off a signed or sketched book to a witness and vice versa means the same thing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
that statement is correct but that doesn't dictate that the witness be in the presence of the artist while he's sketching every second of the said piece. I have had books with sketches picked up from artists from both big grading companies...they are there to witness the exchange from said artist to myself. Otherwise, it would be rather difficult to expect a witness to stand there for hours and hours waiting for an artist to finish a piece, that they are working on with interruptions for signings and talking to fans.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Interested to see the answer on this. I messaged cbcs recently regarding how it works in similar circumstances but when an artist directly mails his finished sketch covers directly to a witness. By the letter of policy this wouldn't be acceptable but isn't really any different from being sketched at a con without witness and then picked up by that witness
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN
that statement is correct but that doesn't dictate that the witness be in the presence of the artist while he's sketching every second of the said piece. I have had books with sketches picked up from artists from both big grading companies...they are there to witness the exchange from said artist to myself. Otherwise, it would be rather difficult to expect a witness to stand there for hours and hours waiting for an artist to finish a piece, that they are working on with interruptions for signings and talking to fans.

I think Pete is the guy who runs the program. So, it is just the exchange of dropped off books that has to be witnessed? If I got that correct, thanks for clearing it up.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
who me? I don't run anything towmater! sorry haha...I was just saying what I have done before at shows...and that's what the big grading companies allowed. Otherwise if it went by what you are indicating you would need the witness to stand there and wait to see every line on the sketch done. That would be pretty difficult I would imagine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
For signed books, they must be signed in the presence of an authorized witness. For sketched books, witnessing the exchange between artist and buyer is enough for the yellow label.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN
who me? I don't run anything towmater! sorry haha...I was just saying what I have done before at shows...and that's what the big grading companies allowed. Otherwise if it went by what you are indicating you would need the witness to stand there and wait to see every line on the sketch done. That would be pretty difficult I would imagine.

Got it wrong. My apologies. I wish someone from CBCS would jump in here and answer the question.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Mark Roman is CBCS' Signature Programs Coordinator
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think it would be unreasonable to expect a witness to stand for hours looking over the shoulder of an artist sketching, and I'm sure that scenario would make most artists uncomfortable.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I think it would be unreasonable to expect a witness to stand for hours looking over the shoulder of an artist sketching, and I'm sure that scenario would make most artists uncomfortable.

I've stood and watched Tim Sale draw when it was my 30 min to 1 hour time for a drawing. It is what you are supposed to do so you can interact with him and ask questions about his work.

Also, CBCS put the information up on their website stated that sketches and signatures are done "in the presence of a CBCS Authorized Witness". I'm just looking for clarification on the program noting what has gone on over the past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Mark Roman is CBCS' Signature Programs Coordinator

OK, who is Steve Paulus? They advise on the website to contact the Director of the Authentic Signature Program, Steve Paulus, at spaulus@CBCScomics.com.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
This is from the first page of the Starlin thread...
He said specifically he signed those books and later in the day a cgc witness came by (who did not witness the signing) came and asked him if he had signed the books so he can now say they were witnessed books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It was Steve Paulus before Mark Roman, updating the website seems to be bottom of the to do list.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Still no answer from CBCS - weird.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater i'm just awaiting Mark to get back to me on a couple of similar questions, ill add this specific one and post a response asap. Ive not seen him post directly on here but he seems active via Facebook
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
The rules of the program state that an Authorized Witness has to be present when the books are signed. That is clear cut. Therefor a witness cannot drop off books with a creator, show up later and claim that the signatures had been witnessed. A slight modification to that rule exists when an artist has been asked for a commission with the intent for it to be submitted under the ASP. The Authorized Witness has to be present when the commission is transferred from the artist to the customer, but is not required to stay and watch the artist work. The customer and the AW has to fill out the appropriate submission paperwork and submit the book(s)/art when the transfer of ownership takes place. The only caveat is when the customer obtaining the art is also an Authorized Witness. When that is the case, the AW has the latitude to submit the art later during the convention, as long as the chain of custody is not broken or at a subsequent event with prior approval from Mark Roman.

When an AW has set up a commission event that involves a mail-away to an artist or creator, and the AW is not present when the commissions are completed. The creator has the obligation to sign a document that states that a certain number of art was produced and or books signed, that document must be sent back to the AW or CBCS. The artist can either mail the commissions directly to CBCS or to the AW who has been approved for the mail away. The Authorized Witness has to maintain the chain of custody, fill out and sign off on the proper submission forms, and submit everything to CBCS.

I hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try and answer any additional questions.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Kevin Eastman has taken 2 of my sketches on the road with him, finished them at 2 different cons, and filled out the paperwork and sent them directly to Matt @TrinityComics, who then submitted them directly from Kevin Eastman to him to CBCS for yellow label sketches. It's exactly as Mr Paulus described.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Kevin Eastman has taken 2 of my sketches on the road with him, finished them at 2 different cons, and filled out the paperwork and sent them directly to Matt @TrinityComics, who then submitted them directly from Kevin Eastman to him to CBCS for yellow label sketches. It's exactly as Mr Paulus described.

My Dad posted something???

Please just call me Paulus, there are so many people named Steve at our company it gets confusing otherwise.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I knew I was getting old the first time I was called "sir".

Darn kids and their rock-n-roll music.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hey I was just being professional, which isn't often - so take notes!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulus
The rules of the program state that an Authorized Witness has to be present when the books are signed. That is clear cut. Therefor a witness cannot drop off books with a creator, show up later and claim that the signatures had been witnessed. A slight modification to that rule exists when an artist has been asked for a commission with the intent for it to be submitted under the ASP. The Authorized Witness has to be present when the commission is transferred from the artist to the customer, but is not required to stay and watch the artist work. The customer and the AW has to fill out the appropriate submission paperwork and submit the book(s)/art when the transfer of ownership takes place. The only caveat is when the customer obtaining the art is also an Authorized Witness. When that is the case, the AW has the latitude to submit the art later during the convention, as long as the chain of custody is not broken or at a subsequent event with prior approval from Mark Roman.

When an AW has set up a commission event that involves a mail-away to an artist or creator, and the AW is not present when the commissions are completed. The creator has the obligation to sign a document that states that a certain number of art was produced and or books signed, that document must be sent back to the AW or CBCS. The artist can either mail the commissions directly to CBCS or to the AW who has been approved for the mail away. The Authorized Witness has to maintain the chain of custody, fill out and sign off on the proper submission forms, and submit everything to CBCS.

I hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try and answer any additional questions.

At a show it appears that signatures HAVE TO BE WITNESSED; while the Authorized Witness only has to be present when the commission is transferred from the artist to the customer.

Good to know. If that is different than your competition then I would make sure to highlight it as a selling point.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the answer.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Pretty much what I said before.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Do you work for CBCS? Also, with what the website states, I hope you can see the reason for my question.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I've been a cbcs authorized witness for a while. I've shipped books to artists and had them signed and shipped to CBCS for grading. I've picked up original sketches at conventions and signatures. I facilitated Mark Hamill's signature for a couple of people. Just because I not employed by cbcs doesn't mean I don't understand the process.

If you're not willing to listen to anyone but a cbcs employee, send them an email. They are great at answering customer questions.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Revelations If you read my first post I asked CBCS to answer the question. It is their forum. I was seeking a public answer from them to maybe differentiate them from that other company. The other company apparently allows people/witnesses to drop off books and come back later. The signatures aren't witnessed per Jim Starlin. If that isn't allowed by that other company then the "witness" did something that wasn't allowed if you believe Jim Starlin's post.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why not just email them? It would have given you the answer faster.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Based upon past history here, questions generally got answered quickly and in the open. Emails are a private communication between two individuals.

Why do you care?
Post 29 IP   flag post
600906 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?