Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgePop Culture

WHATS HOT!?283

Collector DONTSLEEP private msg quote post Address this user
With all the multi covers being thrust at us by the various Comic Companies/Distributors, I ask what is really HOT!! ?? THOR silver age is HOT! NYX 3 is HOT! But it is truly a difficult task to have a finger on every hot book. So I start this thread as a combo new Speculative and classic HOT! Example there is a speculation that new Black Panther series will sky rocket, I fear it will fade quickly. I mean really if the GREAT JACK KIRBY work on the original title hasn't reached any astronomical worth by now, any thing after is sure to fizzle. Dont get me wrong there is short term growth but no marathon legs. This is Vol 5. But say a HOT book with legs would be anything with Warlock/HIM. as we all know where there is Thanos, Warlock cant be far behind. Thanos appears to be the focal point of all the marvel movies, however subtle. I say as the masses focus on Thanos, we the few in the know; Focus on Warlock. What say you? please reply with what is hot in your neck of the woods and why.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen a HUGE increase on x-force #2 (2nd app of deadpool). I picked up 10 copies at a flea market a few weeks ago for .50 cents a piece...turned around and sold the 10 for $50 to a buddy of mine that owns a comic shop. He then turned around and sold them in the shop for $15-25 a piece depending on the condition.

Before the movie was out that book was almost worthless lol.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector John1122 private msg quote post Address this user
Spectacular 64 seems to be very hot since the tv show was announced. Same for Preacher 1 and 13. Batman 357 keeps getting more expensive every time I think it's topping out. Powerman 48 and Powerman and Iron Fist 50 are fast sellers. The entire Daredevil run from 168-183 with Elektra and several other very important moments is a fast sell. In that run you have DD's first battle vs Kingpin, the 1st appearance of the Hand and a whole lot of Elektra/Bullseye and his first meeting with the Punisher. Marvel Special Edition 15 has had some extra oomph the past few months as well.

Still overlooked issues to me are Detective 501 with the 1st appearance of Julia Pennyworth. Surprisingly cheap in high grade still for a 35 year old 1st appearance of a character getting a lot of run that is in the Batman family.

A-Next 7 with the first appearance of Hope Pym/Van Dyne. She's a major factor in the Ant-Man movie universe and a ton of dealers I speak to at conventions don't even realize this is her 1st appearance. Surprisingly hard to find in the wild. There were 0 copies at Lexington, South Carolina, and Marble City Con in the past 3 months from what I could find.

Marvel Team Up 103 with the 2nd Taskmaster. I bought a 9.2/9.4ish copy for 5 dollars from a dealer recently. He didn't realize it was the second full Taskmaster appearance. It's way cheaper than Avengers 223 most of the time when I see it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONTSLEEP
Thanos appears to be the focal point of all the marvel movies, however subtle.

What? When did this happen?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Not Sure if you are joshing with me are serious Stelbert_stython (What? When did this happen?) But I will humor you. All these gems that you have seen thus far, Guardians of the galaxy, Loki's staff/Visions yellow gem, etc 4 total so far have been revealed of the 6. I imagine 1 will be revealed in Doctor strange later this fall. The 6 gems when brought together by Thanos make up the Infinity Gauntlet. The IG gives Thanos mastery over ALL.what I mean by "ALL" is quite simply "ALL" space/time/soul/ the cosmic entities. He uses this power just to get the affection of Mistress Death. Anyhow, Warlock/Him has the possesses 1 of these gems; the soul gem. sry cant finish this history lesson. GTG
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONTSLEEP
With all the multi covers being thrust at us by the various Comic Companies/Distributors, I ask what is really HOT!! ?? THOR silver age is HOT! NYX 3 is HOT!

Is Nyx 3 gaining any more momentum? i havent followed it since my wife picked it up a few years ago...(it was her first cgc submission too.. she got it signed)

Post 6 IP   flag post
Nyx 3 has been gaining a great deal of momentum raw nyx 3 $475.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYX-3-Feb-2004-Marvel-NM-or-better-/172191407151?hash=item2817685c2f:g:BAYAAOSwYmZXJ90X
I have seen a 9.6 range from low 200$ to $550.00. In addition to NYX 3, NYX 4 has started to climb in value. I am speculating on X-Factor 15 :1st 4 Horsemen. keep an eye out
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user

I've been buying these up lately. I feel like with X-23 possibly (probably?) coming to the movies soon, and with the need to cast a new Wolverine for the first time in almost 20 years, we may see some heat around this book.

It's been touched on in the movies before, but not extensively. I pick them up cheap on eBay and in $1 bins when I find them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by qube

I've been buying these up lately. I feel like with X-23 possibly (probably?) coming to the movies soon, and with the need to cast a new Wolverine for the first time in almost 20 years, we may see some heat around this book.

It's been touched on in the movies before, but not extensively. I pick them up cheap on eBay and in $1 bins when I find them.

Cool. I have a "few".
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I guess now is NOT the time to sell Iron Man 55?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

Cool. I have a "few".
I just picked up another copy the other day along with the Weapon X run.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago19
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

Cool. I have a "few".
I just picked up another copy the other day along with the Weapon X run.

BWS
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

BWS

Hell yeah, yet another reason to speculate on this. BWS never gets old!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

BWS

Hell yeah, yet another reason to read this series. BWS never gets old!

FTFY.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I like this book too, but why would bringing X-23 to the big screen make MCP #72 go up in value?

Quote:

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Did some sale-price checking today. Compared GPA for Comics to ComicsPriceGuide.com and there is some ridiculous disparity on the same books for example: BATMAN (NEW-52) GRADED 9.8 GPA =$201, CPG = $1050. ?????????
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Did some sale-price checking today. Compared GPA for Comics to ComicsPriceGuide.com and there is some ridiculous disparity on the same books for example: BATMAN (NEW-52) GRADED 9.8 GPA =$201, CPG = $1050. ?????????

Usually CPG uses a grading algorithm instead of actual sales (and for books with no sales in certain grades). GPA is actual sales, verified.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

Usually CPG uses a grading algorithm instead of actual sales (and for books with no sales in certain grades). GPA is actual sales, verified.
Well, that makes a lot of difference indeed. Using a grading algorithm and not actual sales is very misleading, particularly as so many people have recommended this service including on CBCS forums and sites! This would explain "values of $0.01 and up to 8X actual sales. Therefore I am forced to ask: why would this service be used and accepted?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

Well, that makes a lot of difference indeed. Using a grading algorithm and not actual sales is very misleading, particularly as so many people have recommended this service including on CBCS forums and sites! This would explain "values of $0.01 and up to 8X actual sales. Therefore I am forced to ask: why would this service be used and accepted?

1) Because it's free?

2) I shouldn't say they don't use any real values, since people sell books on their site. That's easy pickings. But if they had Ebay, HA, Clink CC, etc data, they'd be shouting the fact. I don't think the algorithim is mentioned anywhere but HERE so if you never read it you wouldn't know.

FWIW, when they started their website looked exactly like the Wizard magazine price guide

"Our values remain simple, but our technology is not. Using a proprietary value algorithm, paired with dedicated comic enthusiasts, we are able to preserve real sales data to get up-to-the minute comic book value information."
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Ebandy private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up batman 635 for 5 bucks about a year ago n now it's going for like 100 bucks on eBay . I just sent my copy in to be graded.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I just listed (2) NYX #3'S 9.4/9.6 as well as a NYX #4 9.6 on Ebay. Testing the waters
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Here is something that puzzles me about a cameo. I feel Incredible Hulk #180 has the splash page of Wolverine at the end of the story is the true meaning of a cameo first appearance. I would like to compare this to X-Factor #5 which is considered the cameo first app. of Apocalypse. He is in 5 pages and speaks about 130 words. I feel this should be a true first app. I feel this is a better investment than #6. Does anyone have an opinion about this? I might be off of the 5 pages. I have not read it in awhile.
Another cheap investment book could be Punisher #4 from the 1987 ongoing series. It is the first app. of Microchip. He is the Punishers tech guy like Q for James Bond.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
FIRE!
Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post
1st app of Her the mate for Him ADAM WARLOCK
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post

her actual 1st app as pardigon
Post 28 IP   flag post
they are going cheap!! she is rumored to have app in next Guardians of the Galaxy a ramp up to the infinity war movies
Post 29 IP   flag post
here is another HOT BOOK
Post 30 IP   flag post
597875 115 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?