Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

POLL: 1948 BLUE BEETLE 54, CGC 3.02807

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54
As mentioned in "Seduction of the Innocent". Also features a "hanging panel", by which displays a death by hanging. This book is very elusive and rare. Last recorded sale of this comic book was a 3.5 that sold in June 2013.

I bought this one last week. I am hopeful many "experts" can weigh in on this book. There's not many left around, and I want to take great care of this book. This comic book is officially the oldest one I own now. It's neat. I love the cover, all the many errors on it, and it's controversial past with SOTI and the hanging panel.

I will post here the grader's notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGC serial # 1221652005 CGC 3.0

Grader's Notes:
light foxing back cover
medium hole right top of front cover
moderate chews full top of front cover
small tear top of back cover
small, multiple piece out top of spine

Upon closer inspection of the book, I'm almost sure that "foxing" is actually just staining. One cannot dispute the holes or tears. I am curious if @SteveRicketts can work his magic on this one and straighten out that spine roll and clean the front and back covers. The cover and pages are hard to tell how brittle they are. I'm worried cracking the case open will cause more damage. I also wonder if a CBCS case will be better in the long term care of the book as well since I wouldn't have to reholder the book in 10 years. Is that still a thing?

However, on the other hand, CBCS grades much more precise and strict than CGC, and I've taken some grade hits converting some CGC slabs to CBCS. The fragile state of this comic book being from 1948 concerns me. My intentions of the book before anyone asks is to keep it in my collection for a while to see if this is a good investment over time or not. Maybe even sell it and get a better copy one day. But for now, I'd like to hold onto it and keep it as refurbished as possible without restoration on it.

Some say leave it alone. Some say DO IT. What do you think?

I will create 2 posts below this one. Please vote ONCE on Post #2 OR Post #3.

All images hosted on my website, www.kaptainmyke.com. You may click to enlarge and zoom in on each image to observe more closely.

I will create 2 posts below this one. Please vote ONCE on Post #2 OR Post #3.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
YES

Send it to CBCS and clean/press this book and regrade it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
NO

Leave the book alone and leave it in the CGC case! You could damage it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
NO

leave it. beauty as is. if wish to convert to cbcs holder also fine but don't push your luck on this one
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Classic cover for sure.

I saw it on ebay (or another 3.0) and was going to bid on it unless I won this copy at auction:

Good news is that I did win it and am picking it up tomorrow.

I do have the same question, would a press or a dry clean improve the grade or should I play it safe as well?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Everything depends on the brittleness of the pages. More tears and staple pulls could happen during cleaning, but I think Steve would know how rough he can be with it.

I say do it anyways. You seem to want it for YOU first, with investment second. It'll present better regardless of grade once pressed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked and this is the book I was watching on ebay.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
YES

Send it to CBCS and clean/press this book and regrade it.

I vote yes, and here is my logic behind that. The book is in a new new CGC case which means it has been graded within the past year. Notes do not mention brittle pages, the page color does not mention brittle pages. I'm going out on a limb and assuming the pages are not too brittle for Steve to work with. I think the risk is worth it. Worse case scenario, Steve cracks the slab, decides it really is best left alone, and sends it straight to the grading que.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@drchaos what is with this book having HOLES in it!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DarthLego the grading companies tend to treat "page quality" as "page color" IMO.

I had a golden age book that was so brittle there would be tiny pieces littering the counter every time I handled it. The color was ok, came back as "off-white" with no mention of brittle in the notes. I guarantee they had to brush off the grading table as it went down the line.
Post 10 IP   flag post
please vote post 2 or 3 thank you
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
NO

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Why take the chance on this one? Cool book, not worth the risk on any level. I'd leave it as is (and voted as such).
Post 13 IP   flag post
@drchaos it looks like the cut of your book is lower as you can see the white/printing line across the top of the book
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos it looks like the cut of your book is lower as you can see the white/printing line across the top of the book

Hard to say.

I will know more when I have the book in hand tomorrow.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DarthLego the grading companies tend to treat "page quality" as "page color" IMO.

I had a golden age book that was so brittle there would be tiny pieces littering the counter every time I handled it. The color was ok, came back as "off-white" with no mention of brittle in the notes. I guarantee they had to brush off the grading table as it went down the line.

Well now I don't know how to vote. Dang it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Now with more photos posted I'm hoping @stevericketts can decide better. What do you think, sir?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mess with it. Not worth the risk.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I'll leave the voting to the very qualified experts here. Just wanted to congratulate kaptainmyke and Drchaos on their fortunate finds.... and yeh, I'm jealous 😎
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector ComicLife private msg quote post Address this user
I say "Yes," because you do.

It's clear that you love this book.
And, that you want to do this.
It's your book, so follow your heart and do it.

Only some Golden Age books are brittle, in the least. I will say that whoever turned the book in for grading made NO efforts to clean it up, at all, and I'm sure it will be a much prettier book when it comes back.That alone is worth the price of admission. You're releasing it into very professional, practiced hands, so no need to worry about it.

The only gamble is the grade. If you care about the book more than the number (and I'm not being sarcastic, or anything of the sort; there are different ways of loving comics) then get it on out in the mail.
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Id say yes send it in. My thing is yes sending it in now without pressing and cleaning would possibly drop in grade. But I think this one would press and clean up nice in the end. Even saying CBCS grades stricter if it stays the same grade after the press the over all cosmetic look would be worth the money spent. Id say it would improve grade by atleast .5
Post 22 IP   flag post
5 votes say yes, 3 votes say no. I feel like there's better voting during a cover contest. Experts or no - vote!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
After reading everything here I like the logic of the "yay" votes. The cleaner look is the ultimate sway.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:

Looking at the book up close, it coukd be the result of a hole puncher (seems very even.

I do think a dry cleam would improve the appearance of the back cover but am not certain the book would grade any higher than 5.0.

Thoughts?
Post 25 IP   flag post
my initial thoughts are how in the world did that get a 5.0 when it looks extremely similar to mine. arg
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
my initial thoughts are how in the world did that get a 5.0 when it looks extremely similar to mine. arg

Tighter spine, outer edge is flat, less wear on front and back covers. Some of the flaws look similar but the 5.0 has fewer of them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Indeed. Indeed.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Indeed. Indeed.

You still have an awesome book.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Aw thanks brah I appreciate the nod
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?