Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Star Wars #68 Question for CBCS2806

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Why does CBCS not label Star Wars #68 as the 2nd Appearance and Origin of Boba Fett?
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Probably because Boba Fett isn't in Star Wars #68.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts

This book.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeah, Boba Fett isn't in that book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Well ain't that a kick in the nuts...

Why does nearly every copy on ebay claim "2nd App. and origin of Boba Fett?"
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Because unlike the sellers on eBay, the CBCS graders actually read the comic books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Comic Book Database' Chronological list of Boba Fett Appearances

They list it as an appearance but that may include the cover itself. They Also list several others before it so it wouldn't qualify as the 2nd Appearance either
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Based upon this link....it be only the Origin of Boba Fett.

http://investcomics.com/features/the-comic-brokers-report-collecting-star-wars

I do agree that the label should have that information, since it is the original telling.....if accurate.

Now, since I do not own a copy, I am only making a best guess scenario.

Others would have to confirm this is true or not.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Well, according to this info clickable text he does appear in one image in a two page spread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Attempting to rescue Han Solo from Boba Fett, Leia tracks Dengar to the planet Mandalore on intelligence that Dengar may have been in on Boba Fett's original plans to capture Han. On Mandalore, Leia encounters slavers and ends up fighting alongside a Mandalorian soldier that looks very much like Boba Fett against the slavers. After the battle, Leia learns the Mandalorian is not Boba Fett, but Fenn Shysa. Fenn Shysa tells Leia he was part of a group of 212 Mandalorian commandos who helped the Empire during the Clone Wars. The commandos' leader was Boba Fett and only 3 commandos survived the war. A disenchanted Boba Fett struck out on his own after the war to become a bounty hunter. This story told by Fenn Shysa takes place in a 2 page spread with a single picture of Boba Fett. This is the only appearance of Boba Fett inside the comic.

Star Wars #68 - Marvel Comics, U.S. (February 1983)
2 page spread with Boba Fett appearance
Post 9 IP   flag post
We don't note flashbacks as appearances.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

Because unlike the sellers on eBay, the CBCS graders actually read the comic books.

Did they read the two page flash back spread with his picture? Not trying to be a smartpatute here, but I think this might actually deserve to be revisited by the grading staff.
Post 11 IP   flag post
A flashback isn't an appearance.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SD2416 private msg quote post Address this user
It's not?
Post 13 IP   flag post

@SteveRicketts Thanks for the clarification on CBCS's flashback policy, I wasn't aware of this. And I respect the choice even if I might not agree with it.

FWIW, I think there are many collectors who will have a different opinion on flashbacks as appearances and the marketplace seems to have come to a consensus on this issue.

Thanks again for clearing this up for me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
now I'm wondering if any other characters first appearances were actually flashbacks before they made true appearances in a subsequent issue...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This is intriguing. I could see why a flashback wouldn't count. It's simply referencing a previous appearance.

However, the origin aspect might deserve notation.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ok, now I have another question. The Killing Joke lists on the label "origin of the Joker retold & updated." But the entire origin part was in a flashback, not in the now of the story. So...how can you arbitrarily pick which flashbacks count and which do not?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ok, now I have another question. The Killing Joke lists on the label "origin of the Joker retold & updated." But the entire origin part was in a flashback, not in the now of the story. So...how can you arbitrarily pick which flashbacks count and which do not?

I was just waiting for a question like this
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Probably the prominence of the "appearance" and its general importance, that's my guess.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I didn't say a flashback can't be an origin. Most origins are actually some sort of flashback.

A flashback isn't an appearance.

Read the comic. This is hardly an "origin of Boba Fett."
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'd have to say I agree that flashbacks cannot count as first or second appearances. Flashbacks are a retelling of a story to someone or self by the use of memories or narrative or dialogue.
Post 21 IP   flag post
But a flashback is part of the story being told, i.e. the story being told would not be the same story minus the flashback. Would be like denying the kid who plays young Bruce Wayne a spot in the movie credits because the flashback doesn't count as part of the movie? No, it totally counts! It's part of the story as the writer wrote it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't Jessica Cruz first appeared in a flashback? I thought it was her hand or something with a power ring.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
now I'm wondering if any other characters first appearances were actually flashbacks before they made true appearances in a subsequent issue...

Domino would be a good example. First appearance is generally regarded as New Mutants 98. However, we learn that is actually an imposter in X-Force #11. The real Domino shows up there. However, X-Force #8 shows Domino in flashback with speaking lines. This was talked about across the street. Domino thread
Post 24 IP   flag post
Also, I think the "quality" an origin should not be considered. That is a subjective opinion. What should be considered is the intention of the writer and publisher at the time. Did the actual writer at the time intend the story being told to count as origin lore? I can't answer that, but I believe it deserves actual research instead of an arbitrary subjective opinion about the quality of the flashback used to tell the story.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Didn't the joker admit at the end of the story that he remembers his origin differently, depending on the day...something about he prefers his origin to be multiple choice? Not sure it can be counted given it was coming from his mind. Great book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Drogio indeed he did, you can't trust the Joker...and the whole "3 Jokers" mystery in the current 52/Rebirth chronology might end up circling back to that multiple choice quote too.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Drogio indeed he did, you can't trust the Joker...and the whole "3 Jokers" mystery in the current 52/Rebirth chronology might end up circling back to that multiple choice quote too.

Good prediction imo
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder what Marvel considers this issue to be?
Post 29 IP   flag post
600887 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?