Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Jackpot!!!!!....... or not???2783

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Wandered into Big Billi boBs Used Books last night. Great business but leave your wallet and plastic at home. They sell everything bookwise, musicwise, variety wise. Anyhow walked to the comics section and a stock clerk was loading large empty shelves with comic books. I walked up to the tattered shelf and methodically started flipping thru the comic books, actually think I picked a couple. He slowed down a bit but I knew he was close to done. When he slammed the last end of the shelf he looked at me and said "dig in"! I nodded and started to sort thru the new haystack. First thing I thought of was CBCS. If only I had the brain of one of you guys for a couple of hours.

The breakdown was about 1/2 Marvel mix of DC and indy mostly DC. For me it was a Jackpot, but I don't know value or "keys" I know a few but any of you guys would have cleaned up. All i do is cover art, embossed, foiled, and ultraholloGraphi3D. Sometimes it depends on your perspective and being in the right place at the right time.....
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Not a book....but my 10 cent purchase of the day.....pop culture rules!!

I could never draw anything but a straight line.....

Others...much better....

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&biw=360&bih=328&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=8I4OWdifL-jAjwSUtIaIDg&q=etch+a+sketch+drawings&oq=etch+a+sketch+drawings&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.12..0l3j0i5i30k1l2.2870.5920.0.7576.5.5.0.0.0.0.331.961.0j1j2j1.4.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..1.4.957...0i13k1j0i13i5i30k1j0i7i5i30k1.9iBCDfcJ5ps
Post 2 IP   flag post
Super kool! Love those etch-a-sketch! They make great X-Mas presents as well. Nice find.

Guess I didn't complete my "jackpot" story. Billi Bobs usually charges $1 per comic book unless they are bagged and boarded. But they always charge me $1 per comic either way. Maybe because I always buy a huge stack of them. I ended up buying 150 cherry picked comic books. I carried the bags to my truck and walked a block to our used CD/music store. There they had put out about 3 1/2 longboxs of used comic books. They charge a flat $1.99 per comic book no matter the shape or stickered price tag. I picked up another 30 comic books there as well. All in all a pretty good haul.... 😎
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
We're gonna need a run down of your haul to come to a decision.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
We're gonna need a run down of your haul to come to a decision.

I know I left a lot of "value" on the table. But collection wise I feel I did great. I am going to sort these piles so I'll post some pictures. There probably will be some snickering and snide comments are ok by me. I promise not to post Wildstar #1 silver embossed issue!!! 😎
Post 5 IP   flag post
You really can't go wrong with a dollar book as long as it's something you want.
Post 6 IP   flag post
True that, Darth. Not a big fan of She Hulk or Superwoman but monkey see shiny book monkey trade green paper for:
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please forgive the low quality photos I still need to set up my Camstand. One of my goals while recently sorting is to find 10 comic books worthy of CBCS slabbing. I have about 5 or 6 candidates, but I have a feeling none of my $1 - $2 comic haul would make the cut.

Post 8 IP   flag post
The Powergirl looks like Magna which is not my cup of tea but I like the cover NM/M for one greenback??

Post 9 IP   flag post
The Marvels were heavily weighted towards X-Men or other X-type so I skipped photo most of them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
When I get a chance tomorrow I'll post a few more.....
Post 11 IP   flag post
One more for the road. The Union #1 is very common and I know I have a few but this one seems to have a little more "bling" than I remember. The X-Men is embossed and is spectacular. Don't know who Death3 is. The photo doesn't come close to doing these comic books justice.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Death 3 is a continuation from Death's Head II, which is a continuation from Death's Head.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Death 3 is a continuation from Death's Head II, which is a continuation from Death's Head.

So what will be next? 🤔
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
What was the oldest book(s) you had picked up?

Odd...I looked at a couple of books while garage saling yesterday, and also saw the XA book...and others in the run. I was actually hoping to find a BA12....now that would have been so cool.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
What was the oldest book(s) you had picked up?

Odd...I looked at a couple of books while garage saling yesterday, and also saw the XA book...and others in the run. I was actually hoping to find a BA12....now that would have been so cool.

Most from the $1 store are the Marvel flood which I wasn't sure worth posting. Idid get some .12 cent older ones from the next store for $2 each ($1.99) but even they don't have huge value. It's more the bulk and cherry picking that made this a nice puchase. I'll post a few more and maybe some select of the $2 group just a sample (or until someone cries Uncle!!). These later pictures should be better because I started to use my reading glasses and focus more on the small lettering.

Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post

Post 18 IP   flag post
A couple more and then later I'll pick a few from the $2 stssh.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
Quote:

So what will be next? 🤔

Death: The Final Frontier?
Post 20 IP   flag post
I suppose this thread could be considered the anti-Martymann thread. While he posts beautiful images of great classic books in crystal clear sharpness, I post blurry dollar bin classics! His is truly the Park Avenue Collection. Mine can be called the Old Dirt Road Collection. Anyway I'll post a few more from the $2 ($1.99 regardless of price tag) bin. That will mark the end of my comic book posting career other than a single book here, there, and anywhere. These might be a bit more unique, I hope.

Post 21 IP   flag post
I collect any comic book I find with coins, cash, or gambling themes like the Silver Surfer below.

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post
Ok, all good things must come to an end!!!!
Last ones:

Post 25 IP   flag post
And because I know the tenor of this forum. For you Tuesday early birders:

Post 26 IP   flag post
597921 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?